You Should Listen to: Anri

It’s not much of a stretch to say that what got me into actually taking the plunge into Japanese were the fun, nostalgic waves of City Pop, or as I like to call it: Vaporwave’s “boy we’ll never run out of money” younger cousin. I was in a real bad place a couple of years ago, but the fun, danceable hits of Japan’s past kept me sane. And one day, while listening to one of the many city pop mixes, I thought to myself–“why the heck don’t I know this stuff?” After that, I did that required “learn katakana and Hiragana in week” learning on Tofugu, subscribed to Wanikani, and the rest is pretty much history.

I know music tends to be a shaky subject because a lot of lyrics don’t represent how japanese people actually talk, but I find it useful as both an ego booster and cause I genuinely enjoy listening to japanese music. One of my favorites has to be Anri (or 杏里), largely due to her silky smooth voice and her funky tunes. I think what makes her listenable is that the japanese she uses is fairly simple and easy. I was introduced to her in one of Macross 82-99 mixes: “Good Bye Boogie Dance.” If that doesn’t get you dancing, then you have no rhythm as far as I’m concerned.

But I think what I like about the music is that I can read along to it and learn a bunch of new words.

最後のダンス二人だけの思い消しがなら
あこガレを彼方へと連れて
最後のダンス気入りのステップを踏めながら
今だけはをこのままでいたい

And it’s really fun to listen to. I’m especially partial to her 1983 album, BI-KI-NI, that are just filled with bangers, though I think a lot of her music are really great. So if you’re just looking for something to help with listening, or something to listen to while you’re doing other work, give her a shot.

6 Likes

Love Macross and can’t wait to listen to this album. Thank you for sharing!

I love 80s Japanese pop :heart: If you like Anri, make shure to check out Shizuka Kudo (工藤静香) and Akina Nakamori (中森明菜) as well :slight_smile:

I’ll def check them. Thanks!

Not Anri, but this came up in my city pop radio and booooy this slaps.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.