Yay! Level 60!

Woah! I’m here! I feel like I’ve been here for only a 40-50 days or something, but apparently it was 528 so… not sure how that happened. I almost knew nothing about Japan until half a year before my internship there, and look where I am now! Who could’ve known that that single choice would’ve cascaded in a great love for this language :blush:
I’m a kanji wiz kid now :open_mouth: So I probably should tell you my biggest tips and stuff so you don’t do the stupid stuff I always manage to do.

Leeches
Who mama. Please don’t ignore those. I had been ignoring them until level 51. You don’t feel a few leeches in your review routine. And then you also don’t feel it if there’s 10 more of them. But that leech pile slowly starts growing and growing. And before you know it is a leech mountain. Leeches are kind of like the hardened mud at the bottom of you Apprentice Item barrel. The more mud there is in there, the fuller the barrel will be when you put a bunch of water in there. And as most of you know, your Apprentice counter is a pretty good indication of how busy you are going to be in the coming few days. I hit a point where I had around 300-400 reviews a day, and it sucked a whole bunch. I decided to take a 3-4 week break and focus on leeches instead, and had a much better time in the last 10 levels after that. I actually manually recorded my leech progress from the start of that break till now. Have a gander! (I had a small little bump at the end, hoping that will be gone soon.

I also found that the term leech is a bit of a dangerous one. Sometimes, leeches can not be removed except by means of burning, which means they’ll be in your Leech List until the end of times, creating that solid Apprentice sludge in your Leech List. I actually edited @ukebox’s script to show which items and how many items were Burn-Only. You can get it here. :slight_smile:

Don’t do all lessons at once
I have done this for literally every level because it had become the way I had been learning my kanji, but please make sure you don’t end up in the same place. It’s the worst. Despite what you tell yourself, you will not retain all that stuff accurately. And even if you do, most items become slightly associated with each other, which means you know it because you kind of slip into the mindset of that level. Which can also produce some pretty bad leeches sometimes as well, when you associate a meaning from another item with an item from the same batch. If you’re doing this and you’re already far in your levels, give segmenting a go, and if you have just started your adventure, please do this immediately. Just 10-20 lessons a day is fine. You’ll get there in the end. Don’t worry.

Join one of those nice level up groups
It might be a bit intimidating to join, but once you level up as a group, nothing can stop you! I joined the Olympians, and it was a great decision! Have a gander.

Eat your veggies
They’re good for you.

And now the somehow always coveted timeline and stuff.

Overview

Timeline

The five highest lines have all been breaks. The others have been consequences due to doing all lessons at once. (SEG-MENT-ING!)

Heatmap

(made by Kumi)

That darn cursed day in JUNE!!! Stupid House Warming Partyyyyy!!!

All those fine ass scripts (y'all saved my ass multiple times)

So many…

ALSO CONFUSION GUESSER. ONLY INSTALLED AFTER GETTING TO 60. IT’S THE BEST.

So, in conclusion 混煮地和こんにちわ and 亜梨画東ありがとう, 場火ばか

88 Likes

Gefeliciteerd! :smiley: Enjoy the fruits of all your hard work with nice stuff to watch and read! :books:

9 Likes

Congratulations!! :tada::tada::partying_face::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:

6 Likes
Yay!

IMG_2024

13 Likes

Congrats!!!

6 Likes

Congrats Pepsi Cat! (For some reason I’d nicknamed you in my head as “Pepsi Cat”, hope you don’t mind). Those level up times are pretty neat. Your longest level was 44 (mine was over 400 :rofl:)

Holy moly that’s a lot of userscripts O_O. What would you say is the most useful one?

Let’s agree to disagree on that one :rofl:

これからも夜露死苦よろしくね、大敵ともだち

13 Likes

Congrats :balloon::tada: and thanks for the tips :ok_hand::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Good job! Now on to level 61!

7 Likes

Dankjewel! I only have like an old apple at home. I’m gonna go shopping now though, so I’ll just get the coolest fruit I can.

Thank you so much! :blush:

Kitty!

Thank you!

No problem :joy: People call me Pepsi all the time :yum:

Especially Ultimate Timeline, Double Check, Reorder Script and surprisingly Leech List. Seeing all those darn leeches made me realize what my problem was.

穴田賀錠図弟須あなたがじょうずです

Good luck on your journey to 60! I’ll be looking forward to your level 60 post. :open_mouth:

If only :sob::sob:

10 Likes

野菜食べない?

9 Likes

Congrats!! I’m always jealous of how fast some people go, but then I get reminded that I only have…41 apprentice items at the moment, and I feel a tiny bit better about my life.

You did it! Congrats! Now, what will you do??

4 Likes
details

Very rarely. There’s a few where I like the taste (mostly the ones that are actually fruits, not leafs, like tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers) and I’ll have them occasionally, but more importantly I find my digestion is smoother without them. I’ve never really liked veggies even as a kid, and reading about the various toxins and anti-nutrients in plants make me even more reluctant to eat them.

But anyway nice job there @Pep95! How are your level 60 lessons coming along?

3 Likes

Gefeliciflapstaart.

5 Likes

I am now going full focus on BunPro, and maybe do one of those nice 10K lists on Anki or Kitsun or something?

Pretty well, against my own advice I’m bunching them all up. Really want that Finished™ feel ya know

Dank u schoon

3 Likes

I still have about 80 :rofl:. Been doing about 20 a day mostly.

4 Likes

Congratulations, fellow Olympian! Eat all the cake!

I love how Mickie pretends other people will eat the cake too.

Burn all the things!

10 Likes

It’s interesting that me as well as almost all the timelines I’ve seen from people who reached Lv 60 have the first few levels between 20 and 30 as their longest level. No wonder they are called Death.

5 Likes

WELCOME TO THE CAKELAND BROTHER/SISTER :heart_eyes: :tada::tada:

The day WK allows users to reset a leech to lessons, it will be a great day. Nothing has solved my leeches better than “relearning” them from the very beginning on another SRS.

Should I learn everything in one go then? :scream: マゾなりたくない!

Let me know if you want to join the powerful list of Guides :muscle:

8 Likes
Knock knock. Hi, my major is Nutrition.

They’re obviously fine. Different methods of cooking can make the digestion easier and tastier. Phytates are called anti-nutrients but they act in many ways like fiber (slowing digestion). You don’t point fingers at fiber, do you? :b If anything, avoid whole grains (because they’re not healthier as people say and they’re more expensive, compared to normal grains) and don’t overeat nuts. You’ll be fine :v: Vegetables are healthy. If you don’t like them separate, make soup with them. My favourite (and very Portuguese) way of having them :rofl:

15 Likes

Good on you for sticking to it then! You’re almost there!!!

I’m actually planning on getting some cake today maybe :open_mouth: And if not, my birthday is Friday, so there’ll be plenty cake opportunities then :stuck_out_tongue:

That one in specific was a holiday, but yeah death was a real struggle. 30-40 was also quite difficult, due to all the baseball lingo in there. And of course military stuff really gets my goose.

Oh yes bleeeeease. That would just be delectable.

Woops! :joy: Hope no one took that advice then.

I’d absolutely love to! Thank you for considering me.
EDIT: I have added this topic! :slight_smile:

7 Likes