WK asks the word I answered incorrectly immediately again. Why can it move it!

That’s the only thing in WK what angers me right now. Why doesn’t it move the word/card/note I answered incorrectly to the end of the sessions queue (or at least more backwards then it does)? If i just ask to type it right away then there is a high chance that I haven’t relearned this word yet (it’s not even in my short-term memory but in my fingers). And if this is a Master level word i will not see it again for long time.
So the question is what is the reason for such behavior and if there is non then could it be fixed?

A

3 Likes

I don’t know if this is 100% correct, but I believe review sessions will never have more than 10 “active” items. For example, if you are asked for the reading of a kanji or vocab, that item will stay in the “active” group until it comes up again for the mearning. I think it has something to do with the “wrap up” feature - it wouldn’t work properly if you had 20 half-finished items and suddenly wanted to only do ten more. So, once you encounter an item once in your review session, the system want you to finish it sooner rather than later.

I like to think of it like the one or two CPUs who will always keep pace with you in Mario Kart.

You can use [Userscript] Self-Study Quiz combined with [Userscript] WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters (Recent Lessons, Leech Training, Related Items, and more), this let’s you quiz Items outside of the SRS to make sure you remember them.

I actually like it the way it is, mainly because of those instant regret wrong answer. (When you press enter and as soon as that red bar flashes you remember the correct answer)
I think it would bother me if I had to wait another 100 reviews to answer it.
Also, there’s those Items that I just simply forgot. I like getting those out of my review queue faster because I just want to move on with my session and spend some time practicing them later.

Not saying this has to be true for you, but I guess it’s just one of those things that you can’t make so it suits everyone.

1 Like

As a really quick workaround, you could just reload the review page in your browser. That will give you a different random item.

Do you mean it always shows up immediately after you answer it incorrectly (as in literally next every single time)? Or just that it shows up shortly afterward (which can sometimes coincidentally mean next)? If the former, you must be using a script (like reorder). If the latter, then what @raephe said is the reason.

1 Like

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions!

I believe that the reason is the 10 “active” item thing raephe mentioned. So probably there’s noting to do if one want’s to keep “wrap up” feature. Although if they moved the missed word to the end of this active-item queue it would be a solution for my problem.
I will really consider what MosbyNeko suggested, it’s sounds like less hassle then extra session with self-study quiz.

A

2 Likes

Personally, from experience with other SRS-based systems, I find that delaying the review too much just means that I will get it wrong five or six times in a row. That doesn’t seem to boost my learning at all.

3 Likes

I like the idea, mostly because it was brewing in the back of my head as well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.