Wish for an anonymous way to get writing checked (*'▽')

Hello everyone! (‘ω’)ノ
I’ve been meaning to get on track with daily writing output to strengthen my ability to recall vocab and grammar. However, I have had trouble with finding the confidence to post entries of my writing on public spaces (like here!) as I am highly introverted and struggle with making mistakes. I have been searching if there’s any ways to get writing checked anonymously, however have not found any yet. Is anyone aware of any platforms/apps that allow this sort of thing? I just want to take baby steps before beginning to talk to people directly! I know I could just keep a daily diary regardless, but I would really like to get my writing checked for mistakes before I develop bad habits. If nothing of the sort exists, does anyone have any other suggestions that doesn’t include scaring myself into conversing with people? Thankyou for any help (@^^)/~~~

5 Likes

Langcorrec is amazing and built specifically for this:

8 Likes

Not exactly what you asked for, and maybe it may run afoul of a code of conduct, but…

“Burner emails” and “second accounts” with separate usernames and pfps and VPNs are often used for anonymity and ‘plausible deniability’. Proton VPN is free, for example.

Just don’t make the mistake of forgetting which one is logged in :innocent:

Using separate computers can help - not that I’ve ever done such a thing before… (and not here, at least)

1 Like

I second LangCorrect!

1 Like

It’s not foolproof because the translators themselves aren’t the most accurate, but often if you use an AI translator to take your writing from J->E you can catch some of the mistakes you make by noticing weird aspects of the English. Also see: religiously reading “common Japanese mistakes” articles/threads/etc.

+Being aware of what questions you can ask yourself while constructing sentences
I usually check like

• Grammar choice
  • Connections (+conjugation)
  • Particles
  • Politeness/Tone
  • Word choice

First is whether or not the grammar you’re trying to use fits the sentence. What are you trying to say? What do you think you can use for that? Research your options, see which ones might fit. Where does it seem like they are typically used? Does your use fit in with any example sentence you can find?

Next is connections. How do I put a noun/na-adjective/i-adjective/verb before this? Does the noun need である, の, or nothing? What verb ending does it take? Does it only take nouns/verbs? And then how does it connect to the next word? If I’m not sure, I look it up. JLPTSensei is pretty good for this, and so is Bunpro. Keep in mind that there are methods for turning say an adjective into a verb (美しい→美しくある) or a verb into a noun (食べる→食べるの・食べること) when the need arises. Also: noun-or-na-adjective-to-noun connections. Sometimes they take の, sometimes な, sometimes nothing at all, often they could do multiple.

Subcategory: Is the transitivity correct for the particles I’m using? Or the particles correct for the transitivity? (I look up the word on jisho.org, forget which one intransitive/transitive is, look up 食べる, use that to determine what needs an object, keeping in mind that some verbs are both intransitive and transitive). If it’s not the right transitivity, can I conjugate it differently so that it matches what I want? Is there an alternate verb I can use?

Then I check if the particles I’m using match the verbs they’re with. WordReference has this, and you can also check example sentences. When doing this, it’s important to note that は or も can overtake an underlying が・を (so 行く may be 〜が〜に行く but also fine are 〜は〜に行く、〜も〜に行く or 〜には行く、〜にも行く)

Near the end, I check if everything is whatever degree of politeness I feel is most appropriate + the tone. That often means considering whether or not I think I know how formal/casual + positive/negative each word/grammar I’m using is. Then if I should use 丁寧語(です・ます) + if I should use the other two types of keigo (do I know them? What vibes do they give off? am I asking something of them? What relative position am I in? Are they older than me?). Other common theme concerns are also like, what pronoun do I want to be using right now? What particles do I want to put at the end of my sentence? What vibes do those particles give off? (Cue searching for those like kinda pulpy-looking articles on …を使う・が…の人の特徴・心理 like 一人称が僕の男性の心理)

Also, word choice. Does this word mean what I think it does? Can I find example sentences where it’s used to represent what I want it to? Webilo or Tatoeba can be good for this. Does the word have multiple meanings in English that might create ambiguity when searching in a dictionary? If it’s an object, do the google image results look like what I’m thinking of?

+I don’t keep track of these as much anymore but you might need to when you first start writing

Are the verbs conjugated correctly? Are the helping verbs/verb endings conjugated correctly?

Am I putting は in the right place?

Can I remove this subject?

You can also apply these sorts of questions to reading practice to get some ideas for patterns you can use in your own writing. (+ to help you realize when your assumptions/research led you in the wrong direction.) Try to understand what everything is, how it connects, and why. (Although language isn’t a perfectly logical thing so sometimes there’s just sth you can’t reason out like a 慣用句 (set phrase) or sth that’s just outside of your toolbox rn)

1 Like

hiinative is pseudoanon imho

2 Likes

Every internet thing is if you just make your username new enough and don’t give up too much identifying info (not that people are usually going to be like comparing facts of two random internet users to see if they’re the same person. I personally have a ton of info that identifies me super easily but have still never had anyone do that across my like 10s of aliases)

1 Like