Why, Wanikani? [Yet another 金玉 thread]

I live in Japan. I do these kanji reviews in the school staffroom when I don’t have a class to teach. Can there please be a way to take “testicles” off of the vocab list? I have a heart attack every time it comes up because the kanji on the screen is big enough for anyone walking by my desk to read… Why is kintama an important vocab word??

107 Likes

Well at least you know you will never forget testicles now … Those are words that I didn’t think I would ever write

81 Likes

I think testicles are pretty important. Without them you wouldn’t exist.

165 Likes

I’m sorry for laughing at this.

65 Likes

Sometimes life isn’t safe for work.

112 Likes

In case you have to teach sex ed…

or maybe your students are talking about something they shouldn’t?

21 Likes

sometimes my students enter the classroom and I can hear them in the background whispering the kanji answers to each other as I type. I live in fear that kintama will show up during one of these times…

76 Likes

Do you mean the staffroom? Usually students are required to announce that they’re coming into the staffroom, so it should be pretty easy to know they’re coming and take a break.

I guess I’m lucky that I have a desk facing the door this year.

18 Likes

Just be glad 乱交 doesn’t seem to on here anymore. The only other dangerous word I can really think of is 痴漢 but that doesn’t appear until the 50’s

33 Likes

Ooooo I’ve had this happen with 性病, and my desk faces the door. I swear, my typing gets a million times faster when I’m WaniKaniying at work than it does at home

28 Likes

There might be a few others that are at least somewhat embarrassing (性愛 and 性病 (@BigEm beat me to it) come to mind as "word that I don’t want to discuss with my coworkers)

12 Likes

I’m surprised you can even be concentrated enough to do them at work. I always have people pestering me when I’m clearly busy, and get things wrong because of it. I even stopped using WK on browser and using Tsurukame instead because of it.

3 Likes

Those are bad words? I guess that’s why my boss is always angry at me

18 Likes

Wait, they took 乱交 off of wanikani? But how will people know where the good and bad orgies are at???

At least they haven’t taken away 乳首 yet. Still plenty of NSFW reviews to look forward to.

27 Likes

oh, dear… what level does that lovely word come up?

4 Likes

I tried to find it but couldn’t, doesn’t come up as I would expect when I go to https://www.wanikani.com/vocabulary/乱交.

That comes up at 23

EDIT: Why do you people keep clicking that link? It’s only there to show that 乱交 is gone, so the link will just bring you to the dashboard. I just earned the popular link badge from that broken link. I guess people just don’t want it to be true.

28 Likes

It was announced by JenK it was removed like a week or so ago. It’s in the content update thread.

https://community.wanikani.com/t/wanikani-content-updates/33117/54

9 Likes

I wouldn’t feel weird about anything coming up on WaniKani that could also come up on Kanken, and I think I’ve actually seen 乳首 on Kanken. Obviously, it’s always going to be in a fairly neutral and non-erotic sentence on an exam aimed at school children.

I feel like 乱交 probably would not show up on Kanken.

10 Likes

I’m also wondering if it can be used to describe a rubber nipple, as in the end of a baby bottle. But I’m at work right now and don’t care to check jisho with a busy staffroom.

5 Likes

Lord, what a nightmare.

This thread is also how I learned that WK has stealthily removed 乱交 (orgy) as a vocabulary word. It’s not coming up when I search it anymore!

edit: I just saw the link here, d’oh Why, Wanikani? [Yet another 金玉 thread] - #17 by YukiPhoenix

14 Likes