Why Memorize The Readings In Hiragana?

By that I mean If there are english sound mnemonics that are given that we can associate the reading of the Kanji to. Why do we need to know how to type out the Kanjis reading in Hiragana. Does it really provide any real world application. I’m not having a hard time remembering the sound of the kanji due to the english word association but spelling it out in hiragana is quite tough. I’d also like to apologize if I’m asking too many questions on the forums.

1 Like

The English mnemonics don’t represent the actual spelling of the words. They are just there to give your brain something to start remembering from. The actual spelling uses kana.

8 Likes

If you are really remembering the correct sound, then typing it in hiragana should be no problem. They are 1-to-1.

Edit: Leeboed

2 Likes

You’re probably right. I’ll try harder to remember!

1 Like

But whats the irl application of knowing how to spell kanji in hiragana, would i need this somewhere?

1 Like

When typing Kanji? :crazy_face:

17 Likes

You’re here to learn how to read kanji, right? Knowing how to read the kanji and knowing how to write the hiragana for it are the same thing in practice.

10 Likes

If you just want to know the English meaning of kanji, you can get Heisig’s “Remembering the Kanji”. But if you actually want to learn and use kanji to speak Japanese, knowing how to vocalise kanji certainly does help.

3 Likes

I’d like to add that you should double check that you actually know the correct sound for the kanji. As mentioned, the hiragana spelling and how to pronounce the kanji are the same thing. So if you’re having trouble spelling the kanji in hiragana, it’s possible that you’re relying too heavily on the English mnemonic and might not not actually be pronouncing it correctly.

3 Likes

You will need to get comfortable with Hiragana to get better at Japanese,
but don’t worry, you will for sure, and practicing Hiragana with Wanikani will help.

There is no other big reason for WK to use Hiragana i guess,
except that some Hiragana don’t translate perfectly to our alphabet (you probably know that the “r” in ら (ra) is not really an english “r”, but more of a mix between “r”, “l” and “d”),
and there’s no reason not to practice Hiragana instead of relying on our alphabet.

5 Likes

Makes sense!

1 Like

Well, I’m certainly guilty of not knowing some pronounciations and just accepting that I recognize the word.

One example in Pokemon 博士. It means “professor”, I’ve seen it in context often enough to know that :smiley: Well yeah, for the moment because I checked, I know it’s はかせ, but will I still know that next week?

But of course, overall if you’re serious about learning Japanese, it’s important to not just apply English keywords to every Kanji :smiley:

1 Like

Watch Nichijou and you’ll remember!

5 Likes

I‘d like to add that you often write words in hiragana or katakana even if there are kanji and wanikani teaches you the kanji writing. But when you take a look at Japanese texts you will see that for example auxiliary verbs or adverbs like まず are usually written in kana only.

3 Likes

And また. It took me to burn the Kanji, to make the connection that it’s actually the very common Kana word :smiley:

3 Likes

Thing is for me and I guess for most people learning Japanese hiragana isn’t a problem since we are exposed to a massive amount of it when reading or watching with subtitles.
But Katakana is much harder to get exposure to.

Since WK readings are mostly On’ I used a add-on that uses hiragana for kun and katakana for on’yomi as it’s typically written. I think it helped me a bit with katakana.

3 Likes

To actually type something on a japanese keyboard for example

1 Like

Yes, i also use Katakana madness which and it helped me with Katakana as well.
It can be overwhelming for beginners though to have both, I know that i had trouble with katakana long after i became comfortable with hiragana.
And this thread, at least initially, was basically about ‘why not romaji’ and not ‘why (not) hiragana or katakana’.
But that is certainly a good question as well.

Does this script still work fine? I seem to recall last time I used it I had a bunch of problems with it.

i tested it on one review a few days ago and it worked.
(kanji has to have primary onyomi reading of course)