Hard to recall kanji in japanese

Hello i just start wanikani but i have really Hard time remembering how to say or type kanji in hiragana like when i read kanji i already learned i Will automatically know it in english but when i have to write it in japanese i just can’t seem to recall mnemonics and even if i recall (jeawels for じゅう) most of time i am struggling to write it after all jea and jyuu is completly different (at least for me) so is there some better way to remember?
Than you for reply
Sorry for my bad english

2 Likes

No worries. Takes some time to get used to writing in hiragana. Someone will post soon to help you with writing. Don’t give up!

1 Like

I still want to learn but i read on reddit that reading japanese book is much more complicated that Watching japanese youtube or hololive but i think reading Will be easier for me compare to listening even when i didn’t know english i was just reading light novel and using translate for words i didn’t know it was like 1 year after reading did i start to watch english youtube and movies

1 Like

I think you should learn Japanese the same way.
For books youll need the hiragana on top of the kanji called furigana. Then you can look up the word.
I also take screen shots and translate them.

Definently do the first 4 levels of wanikani.

2 Likes

the mnemonics for sounds on WK are sometimes a bit weird. maybe the person who wrote them had a strong accent? i don’t know.

but i often have to kind of bend them in my mind to make them fit with the japanese sounds.

i imagine if english isn’t your first language that becomes even more difficult

2 Likes

Since English isn’t your native language, it might be preferable to make your own mnemonics. If “jewel” doesn’t start with something like “juu” for you, it’s a bad mnemonic for you, after all.

But one method is also to kind of brute force your way through the kanji until you get to their vocabulary, because vocabulary helps solidify the readings of kanji as well, without as much need for mnemonics.

3 Likes

This will definitely get easier over time. For instance as you get more familiar with Japanese you’ll see that the jyuu sound is much more common than jea.

Even as a native English speaker some of the mnemonics don’t quite match up to what one would expect. A couple of days ago I remembered the mnemonic for 所 “talk or row” – which is bad enough because it’s not an expression anybody uses – and typed たころ and got it wrong because it’s ところ. I felt like I wasn’t being rewarded for remembering the mnemonic! (By the way I changed this mnemonic to “toke or row”). The good thing is by getting it wrong and just spending some time thinking about it, it’s much more engrained in my brain.

You have an advantage of knowing another language, so you have twice as many mnemonics available. Use that advantage.

1 Like

later levels the mnemonics sometimes get so big I and remembering parts of the story and then I type something wrong.

Since english is not my native language, for example something related to す for a reading mnemonics always say something related to sue, so usually I type すえ and make a mistake :frowning:

1 Like

I too am not a native english speaker and I have the same problem with the mnemonics for remembering the reading りょう >> “row boat”, I tend to write ろう instead :sweat_smile:
And then I wonder if I have not been pronouncing ‘row’ wrong all this time :crazy_face:

Nah, row isn’t actually like りょう at all.

And I mean, really, a lot of their mnemonics are pretty loose and just supposed to remind you of what the actual reading is. They’re not really supposed to be the readings themselves.

2 Likes

English never uses y as a consonant immediately after r. Come to think of it I don’t think it ever uses it as a consonant directly after any other consonant. Any English mnemonic for りょ is going to be terrible for everyone. Street Fighter mnemonics work though.

2 Likes

I should also mention in WKs defense I’ll often bring up a site where I can search for words that begin with xxx so I can try to make my own mnemonic. Then it turns out that sometimes there just isn’t a better word to use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.