When does the burning start?

Hello everyone,

I’ve reached Level 10 now and in the mail it said I should be burning items or will start to do so very soon.
But when I look at the radical “barb” e.g., one of the first ones, it says “next review in 3 months”. When I take a look at my wkstats my typical level up time is about 8 days and my accuracy is normal to good I’d say.

So I wonder if I’ve been doing something wrong or missing out on something? When did you start burning items?

Thanks in advance and greetings
Nadarina

2 Likes

It depends on how well you’ve done in your reviews. Every review you fail pushes back the time at which you burn that item, by how much depends on when you fail it.

Not sure when I started burning items but I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

11 Likes

There is not a set time, you only burn something when you get it correctly 8 (I think it’s 8, but even if it was a different number the point stands) times in a row. If you get it wrong once it goes a couple of SRS steps down so the total time increases. In theory you might never burn anything. In practice this never happens as by revising things you get wrong more often eventually you learn them and get them past the burnt stage. There can be ‘leeches’, items you get wrong so often that you really struggle to burn, but they are hopefully the exception and not the norm.

3 Likes

Extrapolating from this, for a burn review the timer would say “next review in 6 months” just after you’ve cleared the last review for that item successfully.

4 Likes

This email surprised me too, it seems to assume that you’re taking over two weeks per level (which may well be the average across the userbase). Remember that those emails aren’t personalized, everybody receives the same thing.

Personally going at about one level/week I only started burns at level 26.

9 Likes

okay I’ve only started 3 months ago, so I guess I’ll have to wait another three months! The mail just kind of made me unsure since it said I should be burning now. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

6 Likes

Six months in sounds about right.

I started in January, and I’m pretty sure some of my Enlighten items are set to be reviewed in a week or two, so almost exactly 6 months later (for the ones I never messed up with in my reviews of course).

EDIT: never mind read the dates wrong. July 6th is my first burn review.

6 Likes

The e-mail makes an assumption which holds true only under certain conditions, but it doesn’t say what the conditions are :smiley: .

Usually, if you do 1 level per ~7 days, one starts burning at level ~20 if I remember correctly.

10 Likes

If you review an item immediately and get it right every time, you will burn it after 4 hours + 8 hours + 1 day + 2 days + 1 week + 2 weeks + 1 month + 4 months = roughly 6 months.

8 Likes

Maybe it’s worth tagging the @Mods to have them look over the e-mail in question to clarify it / add some context for the timeline?

GifMeme 11092021163337

7 Likes

Sounds like you’re on a similar pace as me. I thought the same thing when I got that message a few weeks ago. I slowed down after level 10, but I’m now on level 16, with my first burn reviews scheduled a couple of days from now.

2 Likes

Burns can be quite serious and require medical attention. So how do you know? Here are some general tips to help you decide when to seek care.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

It takes about 6 months to burn an item assuming no mistakes.

2 Likes

Wk knows exactly how long it will be, they do not have to guess. The problem is that the mail is not customized

— Dave

4 Likes

Burning starts the moment you start working out.

Otherwise burning can also start with a match. Get on with a match. Or need to make one first?

4 Likes

5 Likes

pokemon-burn

8 Likes

Sure we’ll take a look at this and see if we can make it a little clearer.

Just a quick update to let you know that we have added a link to the knowledge guide page which explains the SRS levels within the email so it should be a little clearer now.

5 Likes

i started my first burns when i was level 15. That’s doing about 12 days a level

3 Likes

I’m going slow as hell and as a result have several 100 burns.

Puts into perspective just how slow I am going.

2 Likes