What will replace EtoEto and TextFugu?

Last I heard from Wanikani

-TextFugu is dead/no longer supported
-Etoeto project evolved, team is working on something but nothing to share yet
-lots of resources to help on Learn Japanese: A Ridiculously Detailed Guide
and http://www.tofugu.com/

I hope for more news in 2021, and that you are all in good health.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been on WK for 3 and a half years and no news about Textfugu. I think itā€™s safe to say that itā€™s a dead project/youā€™ll be better off learning grammar from somewhere else.

Hereā€™s a bunch of resources:

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a 1 place to learn them all when it comes to Japanese grammar. Usually the free stuff is the best stuff.

4 Likes

So Iā€™ve asked them in the past, and they have confirmed they are working on something, but there is no projected release date as of yet, sadly.

4 Likes

Thank goodness :sweat: I used textfugu and found it to be pretty bad in a lot of ways.

1 Like

Iā€™ve learned to just expect nothing, as those projects have been in limbo for almost as long as I can remember (though I did start Wanikani thanks to Textfugu!). Maybe something will happen eventually but I wouldnā€™t keep my hopes up.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a good thing that I already thought TextFugu was a giant waste of my money, because if I didnā€™t Iā€™d be really disappointed right now.

Iā€™m just kind of jaded by companies that sell incomplete products with the promise that they will be finished one day, and then they donā€™t. I canā€™t even be angry at Tofugu because apparently that is just ā€œthe done thingā€ these days.

2 Likes

TextFugu was a good premise when it started, to have an concise online resource to learn Japanese, but thereā€™s so many many more resources available nowadays. I think theyā€™d have to come up with something really unique (and hopefully complete) to grab learnerā€™s attention.

2 Likes

I find Textfugu to be anything but that. In fact, in its insistence to explain basically every grammar concept from scratch as if the reader had never encountered a human language before, I find it to be incredibly waffly.

3 Likes

When WaniKani was being developed, they offered TextFugu users steeply discounted lifetime accounts. So it stands to reason that they will offer WaniKani users a rebate on EtoEto.

3 Likes

I would LOVE that, because whatever they are working on, whenever it does come out, i want in!

2 Likes

I agree that itā€™s always wise to use various sources, but I disagree about it being dead project. Have faith in Koichi 先ē”Ÿļ¼

2 Likes

Koichi isnā€™t our dear, personal friend, he is the owner (?) of a company that wants to sell us products and services.

Customers are generally well-advised to be somewhat sceptical, and personally I expect companies to earn faith / trust.

And to be honest, with vague statements like ā€œthe project is evolvingā€ or ā€œthe team is working on somethingā€, some mistrust is well warranted. There is a well-established term for that kind of marketing, it is called ā€œvaporwareā€. If Tofugu wants us to believe that EtoEto will eventually be released and it will be an amazing product and all the delays are just because they are that dedicated to quality, well, some transparency would go a long way to disprove the impression that they axed a WIP product they had already sold for a fairly steep price, promised a similar improved product, and then have not followed through on that promise for quite a while, and likely wonā€™t follow through any time soon.

Please donā€™t interpret this as an attack on Koichi or anybody at Tofugu, Iā€™m sure they are nice people. That doesnā€™t guarantee they always have their customersā€™ best interest at mind, or that they are always able to follow through on their goals.

(To be fair, iā€™ve recently had some correspondence with Tofuguā€™s support team and they did offer me a refund for my Textfugu purchase from four-ish years ago, so that does improve my impression somewhat and was actually a motivating factor for my decision to get WaniKani Lifetime in spite of my misgivings with Tofugu.)

14 Likes

We are talking about different things.
You are talking about purractical side. :cat2:
Iā€™m talking about nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaice side :cat2:

1 Like

He used to be our dear personal friend. He just kinda made it big, but it just feels like he reached a point where his ambition exceeded his abilities, and heā€™s forgotten what heā€™s here for.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what exactly has given people such a negative view of him?

1 Like

I guess the fact that EtoEto has been coming SoonTM for about six years now. Or seven?

Though, the Durtle Heaven puzzleā€¦ eGoooott indeed.

Also, his first name is actually ā€œJaeredā€ - heā€™s been lying to us all this time. But with a first name like ā€œJaeredā€, I guess I understand him on this one.

9 Likes

I mean, is setbacks on just one program really a reason to have such a negative view of someone? That seems a bit unfair.

2 Likes

Exactly how negative a view are you getting the impression that we have?

1 Like

Granted, I could be reading into all of these, but for me, it feels that there is just a lot of hostility towards him as a person. I could be wrong, just the vibes Iā€™m getting from some of the comments here.

No.

People who are trying to sell you something are inherently in an adversarial relationship with you. That is just how it is.

I am not ā€œhostileā€ towards him, I just refuse to blindly trust his business just because he seems a nice guy. And I donā€™t blindly trust any business just because their public face seems to be a nice guy.

That is simply a healthy amount of scepticism and scrutiny. Itā€™s not personal hostility.

3 Likes