How is EtoEto coming?

Since it’s been about a year since the last time someone asked. @koichi @Mods

I’m curious if you guys are still devoting substantial development resources to it?

15 Likes

Maybe they named it EtoEto so they could respond to questions like these with えっと… えっと…

60 Likes

What’s EtoEto?

2 Likes

Tofugu (the company that made WaniKani) announced a grammar program called EtoEto many years ago, but it was never released.

8 Likes

Ohh okay. So basically it would supplement WaniKani by teaching and drilling grammar? That sounds pretty nice.

2 Likes

The real reason why there’s no new status updates on EtoEto yet

31 Likes

Oh no, not the Towel!! :scream:

6 Likes

Sorry, no updated info available to share at this point!

14 Likes

Sigh… I come back to the forum like twice a year hoping to find some news about EtoEto. It’s been announced literally years ago, I wonder why it’s taking so long.

6 Likes

SAD. TAKE AWAY THE SUSPENSE AND TEACH US JAPANESE. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

3 Likes

I genuinely have a lot of affection for Tofugu as a company, and its members, including Koichi, and I’d recommend WaniKani to anyone within a 1 mile radius willing to listen. Without them I would have never started learning Japanese in the first place.

That said, nothing disappoints me more than how EtoEto was handled, especially the complete radio silence for years. Some of us bought TextFugu lifetime for the promise of a constantly updated textbook (it was advertised as such), even though it was a very pricey buy for me at the time. I understood when they stopped working on TextFugu for EtoEto, but then just leaving everything up in the air and not providing at least a status update… I’m not talking promises or deadlines, just a simple status update so we know what the deal with it is… that’s been extremely disappointing to say the least.

If it were any other company than Tofugu, I wouldn’t feel this strongly about this. It’s precisely because I had higher expectations that I am so disappointed. That said, I’ve already moved on, and don’t expect anything more to come of it. It’d probably be easier on everyone if we all just forget about EtoEto and stop asking uncomfortable questions about it that no one is willing to answer.

24 Likes

There was a podcast last year and the subject came up, ~16 min mark. Sort of a status update if helpful.

5 Likes

Not really helpful, because the last status update in 2017(IIRC) was basically the same thing, keeping every detail vague. It is what it is.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this link. Even though it was pretty vague as the other commentor said, I’m happy to hear that they are still working on SOMETHING. As you can see from my WK level, I still have a lot of work to do, so whenever they launch what they got I’ll be ready for them.

2 Likes

The fact that the response you got did not address this question is probably telling.

At the current pace, so will your grandkids.

10 Likes

I hope Tofugu learns from complaints about WaniKani and allows people to jump in the middle for EtoEto. If they require everyone to start from square one like in WaniKani, pretty much no one who was interested in EtoEto early on will end up using it. They’ll all be far beyond basic grammar by the time EtoEto is released.

9 Likes

I think they will. If they still intend to break it into 3 parts, like they had announced, maybe they’ll make you start from scratch, but only in whatever part you’re in (beginner, intermediate, advanced).

I think they’ll decide to not announce new projects until they have something concrete. Which is probably not the best approach, but is safer than the current messaging mess they’re in.

I think from a messaging perspective, the main approaches can be ranked:

1. Announce, deliver, generate loyalty and excitement.
  2. Don’t announce, deliver, at least no one is disappointed by a lack of delivery.

3. 42 . Announce, delay for many years (cancel?), and then don’t say anything substantive when customers ask what’s up.
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.