What does 費用を出す mean?

Hello,

出す(dasu) has many uses and amongst them, I came across this word in my book.

費用を出す(Hiyou O Dasu) and in the book it says that it means ‘Allow an expense’.

I cannot understand what does this mean. Allow an expense??

Can you tell me what is your understanding of this term, along with examples.

Thank you.

Presumably in a business context? Like, an employee does something business related, they have to request approval for the company to pay for it, and the boss approves (allows) it, and so the company pays (出す).

At least that’s how I would imagine it without more context. If it’s indeed a business context, that could explain why the English doesn’t feel like a perfect 1:1 match.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying.

Well that’s exactly what I thought too.
Allow an expense is more of a Company related term, wherein a Senior is allowing the expenses to incur.

Like, a Junior requesting, “課長、費用を出していただけませんか”。。

But I need to know Is that it? Is it just from a Company/ senior/ parents’ point of view, or is there something else too, which I don’t know about at the moment.

Well, 費用 is often business-related. I suppose as long as you are talking about expenses and paying them, you could imagine using it, but there are other ways to say that as well.

There’s nothing in the definition of 費用 or 出す that suggests who is paying or what is being paid for.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.