Clarification on 「出そう」vs. 「出そう」???

Hi Everyone!

I was going over vocabulary and conjugations related to 「出す」and 「出る」、and I noticed that both terms can be conjugated to have the form 「出そう」

I’ve seen this form used in an example sentence and it was read as 「でそう」。I was wondering if anyone knows if this form is always read as “desou” or if it is also read as “dasou” depending on context. If it changes, could you please provide me some examples of when “dasou” would be used. I’m trying to tell the nuances apart.

Thank you! :grin:

-GreekCupOTea

EDIT: I just realized I made a mistake and that 「出る」 doesn’t conjugate to 「出そう」。So my new question for you all is… is “desou” just a special reading for “dasu”?

For reference here is the example sentence I was looking at: くしゃみが出そうで出ない。

FINAL EDIT/SOLUTION: Thank you to @seanblue for clarifying! The usage of 「出る」in the example sentence above is not volitional, but is using 「そう」as in “seems like”. Here’s a screenshot from another post online that has a similar case! Hope this clarifies everything if anyone else was thrown for a loop like I was :laughing:

Where are you seeing that? I don’t see a single conjugation chart showing 出そう being an inflected form of 出る. 出そう is the volitional form of 出す, but the volitional form of 出る is 出よう.

1 Like

Just realized my mistake with the conjugations. It’s only for “dasu” However it seems like it might be a special reading for “dasu”?

No, it’s the volitional form. There’s nothing special about it.

It’s no different to other godan verbs ending in す such as 話す to 話そう.

Gotcha… so just to clarify, it is always read as “desou” right?

No. It’s だそう. It is never read as でそう.

2 Likes

Thank you! I think the example sentence I found just threw me for a loop. Correct me if I’m wrong but in this case its not volitional form, but it’s just “deru” and “sou” being used together to say “seems like it will exit” and that’s why it’s read as “desou” here…

くしゃみが出そうで出ない。

That is the volitional form of 出す.

Here’s a screenshot… for some reason the example sentence is being shown under 「出る」rather than 「出す」

Yes, and the sentence is using both 出す and 出る.

1 Like

@anon47853453
@tls

Thank you for trying to help me with this. The reason its confusing me is because when the example sentence came up, I assumed it was volitonal form of 「だす」and when I tried to put in my answer, WK told me I was incorrect and that it was 「でる」。 Here is something I just found online regarding this and it seems to be what is happening in this case…

1 Like

Omg , you’re absolutely right. To sneeze means くしゃみが出る and not as I thought くしゃみが出す :flushed:

Please forger about my previous answer.

1 Like

It seems like 出る to me, exactly as explained in that screenshot. This usage of そう means “seems like”, which is what the translation on WaniKani shows as well. You also know it’s 出る and not 出す because くしゃみ is marked by が and not を.

Moving to your original question, you can tell whether 出そう is from 出る or 出す based on the rest of the structure of the sentence, such as particles as I mentioned above.

9 Likes

Thank you!! That makes sense!

1 Like

Yeah, you can’t rely on conjugation tables to show you all possible forms of verbs. Some grammar points, as was the case here, create their own unique situations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.