Can someone explain this phrase to me?

I’m struggling to understand this sentence:

[痛え思いしたくなきゃ―, 出すもん出しな‌]

For example why is it 「したくなきゃ」、and what is 「出すもん出しな‌」?

3 Likes

したくなきゃ = したくなければ = する + ~たい + ~なければ

出すもん出しな‌… feels like a standard grammar structure which I can’t presently call to mind. Like VもないV-neg. Or something.

2 Likes

But isn’t なきゃ also sometimes short for なければいけない?
痛え思い baffles me.
jisho.org doesn’t have 痛え、but it seems it means “ouch”.
If so - then does 痛え思い mean painful thoughts or the thought “ouch”?
If we assume that it means painful thoughts - then 痛え思いしたくなきゃ― should mean “if you don’t want to think painful thoughts” if it’s 痛え思いしたくなければ
Or, it could mean “I have to think painful thoughts” if it’s 痛え思いしたくなければいけない。

I also thought it was V-neg, but as far as I know, negative form of 出す would be either 出さない or 出すな if it’s imperative negative. 出しな is “about to go”, according to jisho.org

Sorry, I’m not trying to contradict you, I’m asking where am I wrong.

1 Like

That would makes sense, the first part is along the lines of, “If you don’t want to get hurt.” The 「-たく」 bit was throwing me off, but now I get that it was part of the ~たい conjugation.

1 Like

The first part is “If you don’t want to get hurt,” so I think you’re right. The second part I still don’t get. It’s supposed to mean “give me your stuff” (I think).

2 Likes

Maybe, 出しな is short for 出しなさい?
In that case, もん which I thought to be も + の shortened to ん might actually be 物 with the last の shortened to ん
In other words:
痛え思いしたくなければ、出す物(を)出しなさい - if you don’t want to think “ouch”, give me everything that can be given.

2 Likes

If we assume the な is imperative, then that would make sense. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Sometimes, but usually only when it’s ending the sentence.

I wondered if 痛え was slangy 痛い.

Oh, yeah. I realised that, then promptly forgot it again before pushing submit…

Yeah, conjugations of ~たい frequently throw people for a loop.

What’s the context here? Because it could also mean “get out”. Like, is someone being mugged?

3 Likes

Do you have any more context for the sentence?

1 Like

It’s from a drama, someone is getting mugged.

1 Like

Your theory seems to be right, based of the response I got on hellonative:

「殴られたり攻撃されたくなければ、お前(あなた)が持っている大事なものを出しなさい
脅しみたいな

感じですね🙌🏻」

1 Like

According to this Japanese in Anime blog it’s:

They’ve got the small ぇ there which may be to show the accent.

Here, I think 思い is using meaning 5 on Jisho, “feelings; emotion; sentiment; experience.”

@Belthazar already covered the たい negative form so I’ll skip that.

出すもん出しな looks like a set phrase for “give up the goods” or whatever. I think here 出し is the い-form of 出す and instead of something like 出します it’s 出しな, again, spoken as a type of accent.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, that last な feels like the sentence ender な. Like, “if you know what’s good for you, eh”.

The last part feels like 「出す」 + 「もん出し」or maybe 「出すもん」+「出し」

In the first case, “take out” + “the taking-out-stuff”. In the latter, “the taking-out stuff” + “taken-out-thing”. It’s hard to put it in english, lol. But the last one feels more correct to me.

2 Likes

そうですね。怖いです!

1 Like

Yeah from what I’ve been able to see online from other manga it seems to mean “cough it up!” or something of the sort. Weird how there are set phrases and stuff that natives instantly understand but we have to go do some serious research haha.

4 Likes

Yeah, because in English, we avoid those sorts of things like the plague.

7 Likes

:thinking:

It’s #2? Jisho.org: Japanese Dictionary

What? I can’t wrap my head around what you mean.

2 Likes

*Looks up plague*
Why does the plague avoid those things? It just doesn’t make sense.

4 Likes

The plague was never good at idioms. It barely passed English class by the skin of its teeth.

3 Likes

Yes :blush:

やめな ・ やめなさい
よしな ・ よしなさい
出しな ・ 出しなさい

1 Like