What are some of your oldest kanji/vocab that you always seem to mess up?

For me it’s number of things/days. Learned that in, what, level 2-3? Still can’t get it right 3 levels later.

2 Likes

This may sound ridiculous but I will still screw up ground and cross radicals because they are not the same as the kanji. I NEVER screw up kanji or vocab containing them! I see them and immediately think- ichi or juu and put one or ten. Will they ever burn?

2 Likes

Just add ten and one as synonymes

4 Likes

I guess you have to slow down and recognize that the background is blue. I speedily go through my reviews too

1 Like

I’m still trying to remember that 八つ is ya ltsu tsu and 八日 is yo u ka. I fail every time… even while trying to write this.

2 Likes

Just kidding, it’s probably also anything to do with counting.

3 Likes

You get my struggle! (one of them)

1 Like

I also know this struggle and have missed most of them when they come up in my burn list lol.

Exceptions always suck :<

公用, the bane of my life. I now have it on a sticky note on the edge of my monitor so I’ll see it multiple times per day. Try and be forgotten now, you little s*. >___<

3 Likes

I feel better knowing that even level 35s can also make silly mistakes like this

kouyou! I like the roumaji to this, just rolls off the mental tongue

I still currently have yattsu on my list too…

youka is fine though, since i memorize it by pairing the multiples yokka and youka, 4 and 8 as well as mikka and muika, 3 and 6. the rest i sorta just had to memorize.

I have tonnes of items. Maaaan, I have such a hard time keeping them straight.

For example, 捕える and 捕まる

Some of my lower level stuff includes, 活用、二重(I keep wanting to write 二倍), 仮定 (Always think it’s はんてい)Also, 深さ (I know it’s ふかさ because it’s 深い)

and there’s even more after that, I have too many to even think about listing!

I learned them both three years ago and still misread 字 as 学 when it’s in a word with other kanji! I’m much better than I was, but still seem to mistake them for each other at first glance a lot of the time… meanwhile シ/ツ and ン/ソ have always been so easy for me?? Just one of those weird brain things I guess lol.

Image of Buddha 仏像 and Buddhist Priest 仏僧.
Illusion 幻想 and hallucination 幻覚.

I hate these four.

5 Likes

一打 and 一代 :cry:
I can never remember because of the damn reading being too similar.

6 Likes

I’m not even there yet and I hate those too

I unlocked 外れる on August 26th, 2015 (21 days after starting WaniKani), and nearly two years later… missed the burn again last week.

At 75 or so attempts, it isn’t even one I’ve missed the most (I know there are other items I have over 100 attempts at). It’s one that tends to get to master/enlightened, hang out there for a while and then show up right when I’ve re-confused it with others.

These leeches in general are so annoying, made a thread about it… Leech Squashing

2 Likes

Image is ぞう, so 仏像
Priest is そう, so 仏僧

I used to miss this two a lot too.

幻想 is FANTASY or ILLUSIONARY. It is part of game’s name.

I still confuse these two as well. Although seeing them side by side makes it seem obvious, maybe I’ve finally got it.

edit: I have 138 total combined attempts at 仏僧. That’s a doozie