What are some of your oldest kanji/vocab that you always seem to mess up?

@ sudoyulu: I hate these, too. They are also so random…

乱交 and 汽笛
Because I still think: “When will I ever use that?”

All vocab with 判 (評判, 判断, 審判…)

Also all of these math things like subtraction, addition etc. I never know if it´s a ざ or a さ…

1 Like

外れ and 外れる, not sure why.
For some reason, I also always get 先生 wrong, even though it’s such a well-known word. I always seem to confuse the meaning with last year, instead of life, and then mess it up from there. :frowning: It doesn’t happen with any of the life/year vocabulary…

われる 割れる
わかれる 別れる
はなれる 離れる

1 Like
  1. Judgment? trial? reputation? I still cannot make it correct to date.
  2. Isn’t it always ざん?

Not 算数, 計算 and 算定する - they are with さん :wink: (though hopefully I will remember it now since I looked them up.

And very happy to you hear you have problems with 判 even at your level. Makes me less depressed.

Right, but those aren’t the actual expressions, like addition or subtraction. If it’s one of those, it’s always ざん.

146 attempts at 83% for 仏僧(ぶっそう)。
128 attempts at 84% for 仏像(ぶつぞう)。
I always think I’ve got it but when it comes back a month later I always fail to remember.

@polv I guess it does look easier when side to side.
Next is when to use っ and つ。

@Eniell I’ve burned 乱交 because it was just too funny to forget.
汽笛 is still somewhere between guru and master since I failed burning it.

It’s probably still too early in the adventure for me but the difference between 四日 and 八日 annoy me so much I cannot tell whether or not I should use ようか or よっか for the reading.

1 Like

I always mix up the 出 portion of the readings for the vocab 出す(to remove) and 出る (to exit), writing です for 出すand だる for 出る. It’s the worst because it’s so simple, but it’s hard to unlearn when the wrong way is in your head!

Definitely any sort of counting. I always mix up when to use ltsu. >.< Maybe one day I’ll get the hang of it…maybe…

Just remember that you end sentences with です. So it can never be that one.

Helped me a ton.

1 Like

Had to zoom out to get them all in:

Question is: what the hell to do about them?

I joked earlier, but I realized one that is kicking my ass: 省く. I can’t seem to get it in my head that it’s “to omit” so I can never get to the point where the reading mnemonic can do me any good.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.