Start Date: Sept 10th
Previous Part: Week 6
Next Part: Week 8

Reading:

Week Start Date Chapter Start Page Page Count
Week 7 Sept 10th 父と泳ぐ 118 18

Vocabulary List

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarrassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun! :durtle:

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

Struggling with a passage on p131. I suspect it may be talking about the last and the present in one sentence, but I’m not sure.

以前はその優しさ…

Is this talking about her father staying in his previous marriage for longer than he should? Or referring to him staying around Tugumi when she’s being rude?

I think it then reflects him being at peace/ enjoying the present?

Then I’m quite lost on the following sentence! ものごと…

Any hints as to what that line is about?

2 Likes

In my paperback edition, this passage is on p 129, column 3.

What I think this is talking about is the consequences of her father’s being such a nice guy: his niceness had a downside in the past (keeping him stuck in his previous marriage), but is now a perfectly good thing (at the time of his conversation with Tugumi on the beach), now that everything has worked out.

Piece by piece (with very loose translations):

彼は優しかった。

He was a nice guy.

以前はその優しさが彼の人生に様々な足止めを食わせたものだったが、

Before, his niceness was a thing that caused him various disadvantages in his life (by keeping him stuck in his first marriage).

Vocabulary:
足止めを食わせた = past causative form of
足止めを食う(あしどめをくう)(exp) to be stranded, to be forced to stay, to be obliged to stay

平和になってみると

Seeing him at peace

陽を受けて光るあの山々のように、

like the mountains shining in the sun,

彼は落着いて明るく見えた。

he looked calm and and cheerful.

ものごとが収まるべきところで

in a situation where things had settled down as they were supposed to

その効力を発揮していることは、

manifesting the effect of (his niceness)

こうして見ているととても完璧で良いことに思えた。

seeing it like this, it (his niceness) seemed very perfect and good.

6 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. It really helps to get even one passage clear in my head to anchor the rest.

I struggled quite a bit with the dialogue between Tugumi and Maria’s father. Though I think some of that is that her tone appears more abrupt that I would expect, but I think that’s just part of Tugumi’s nature.

I was amused on the final page, given the general lack of furigana, to find it present on the word 黄昏 (given our previous book was Spy Family)!

4 Likes