Week 7 気になってる人が男じゃなかった (Beginner Book Club)

Welcome to Week 7 of 気になってる人が男じゃなかった

Learn more about the Beginner Book Club here
Visit the home page for this manga here

Week 7 March 16th 2024
Start Page 97
End Page 116
Chapters Finish Chapter 2
Pages 20
Last week Week 6
Next week Week 8
Home Thread Here

Page numbers are the ones printed on the bottom of the pages. These may differ from the numbering in digital versions.

Vocabulary

Characters

English Japanese
Aya Oosawa 大沢あや
Mitsuki Koga 古賀みつき
Uncle Joe ジョー
Narita 成田

Vocab Spreadsheet

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I’m still reading but haven’t reached this point yet
  • I’ve already read previously but I’m here for the discussion
  • I’m reading this after the bookclub has finished
  • I’ve stopped reading this book
0 voters
8 Likes

I was confused by 委員会 because I learned it via WK as committee meeting, confirmed via dictionary that yeah I was right, and then finally remembered that it makes sense to call their matsuri group a committee owkhsoikeihds

Also, my feelings reading this and then previewing a bit of the next chapter

8 Likes

I didn’t understand the plasters on her fingers on page 101 initially - she’s been practicing the guitar lots

Page 110

Love this speech bubble!!

9 Likes

I’ve finished this week’s reading. It was a bit… frustrating? On the one hand, I can sort of figure out pretty much everything that’s being written. But I have the feeling that I’m still missing out on what’s really going on; who’s saying what; what’s being said, and what’s being thought.

I’m going to go over everything again, and see if I can pinpoint where’s I get this feeling of being stuck. I’ll either figure it out, or ask some questions here.

9 Likes

I read this week’s dose last week, and even though I mostly felt I’d gotten the gist of it I reread it today with the vocab list open and was surprised how many details I’d missed or misunderstood during the first read.

4 Likes

シンプルイズベストだぞ

8 Likes

As said, I’m coming back to this week’s reading, just to see what I picked up on。Half-way now. Sorry for the long post.

Previous week

We left off with Koga having had a talk with Narita, which Oosawa unfortunately overheard. Koga confided that she gets shy when they’re together. She isn’t able to tell Oosawa the truth, because she’s afraid that it will be a disappointment. And she doesn’t want to see Oosawa get hurt.

This week, p. 97-100:

Oosawa does some investigation into Koga’s locker and finds "onii-san"s black clothing in there? She puts together that they’re the same person and gets mad at being deceived. She briefly considers that the two of them might be equally awkward (which softens her ange). But Koga’s words that she doesn’t want to see Oosawa get hurt means that she thinks of the worst-case scenario. And she can’t bring herself to confront “onii-san”.

Pages 101-105:

Koga has been playing guitar until her fingers bled. They’re not healing. Oosawa’s friends are asking about the guy she’s been meeting. They comment that she hasn’t been looking well lately (? See below.). Aya retorts that she’s just been busy and hasn’t been able to go see him. And that she might just quit the committee. This gets a reaction from Koga and she flees the scene.
Narita goes after her. He’s a decent guy, but pretends to be out for his own interest. If the two of them were to quit the committee, he’d be in trouble. He says something to calm her down. (Not quite sure what, see below), and she thanks him for it. The drawing puts some focus on her shaky fingers, for some reason.

Specific translation questions:

p.101

なんかずっと元気ないしなぁ (おま… ぶっ込みすぎ!!)
This is Aya’s friends talking? “You haven’t been well for quite a long time.” Followed by a whispered addition to indicate that she’s said too much?

p.102

委員会とかやめよっかなぁ - Is this abbreviated from やめよう, the volitional form?

p.103

別に空気みたいな存在で満足だったのに
なんで欲張ったんだろう
These seem to be be one connected phrase. “I was pretty content with being ignored (lit. an existence like I was air). Why did I become greedy (and want more from life in general, and from Aya in particular)”. Is that it?

p.104

何か感じてる今のほうが古賀さんらしいんじゃない? “Feeling something, like now, isn’t that typical for you?” (Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me)

3 Likes

No, those are her own clothes, in her own wardrobe. Her school uniform, I think.

元気 primarily means “lively, full of spirit, energetic”. So, “You haven’t been very energetic”.

Yep.

Yep.

The ほう adds a meaning of “more”. “It’s more like Koga-san, now that you’re feeling something” kinda thing. Like, because she’s feeling something, she’s more like herself.

4 Likes

Thank you for the detailed response. On p.97, the follow-up is:

まさかあの人が同じ制服着てるなんてね
Is this Aya coming to the realisation that her oniisan was actually wearing the same school uniform as herself, being a girl?

4 Likes

That’s basically how I understood that line, too.

(I’m in the same boat as you, kinda-sorta understanding the overall story but not enough to get all the details. This is a mental workout for sure! )

1 Like
Page 105

:joy::joy: That’s the second time Narita has been threateningly shoved against the wall in the CD shop, first by Mitsuki, now by her uncle. The poor boy keeps getting the life scared out of him. But he keeps coming back.

6 Likes

I think that’s a good interpretation, but that’s not the first thing I thought of. I originally took this as her realizing that the おにいさん is wearing the same uniform as in goes to the same school / in the same class. The line right before (私の気になってた人は男じゃなかったらしい) points towards your interpretation, while the lines afterward (私は怒ってる。だってあっちはずっと私の誰だかわかってたってコトじゃん) point to mine. So I think both of these interpretations have some weight to them. That said, I think yours probably wins out slightly because the text is on the same page and because of the title of the chapter. Maybe it’s meant to mean both, who knows.

6 Likes

I just finished vol 2 and now I’m listening to Nirvana on repeat lol. I need to download a proper playlist to my phone at some point

6 Likes

Week 8 is up

5 Likes