Week 6: 君の名は - Your Name (Intermediate Book Club)

Join the Intermediate Book Club here!

君の名は - Your Name Home Thread

Week 6

Start date: March 20th
Previous Part: Week 5
Next Part: Week 7

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 6 March 20th 俺は大樹に向かって歩いていった 92 14

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

2 Likes

This week’s reading ends on page 91 in my Tsubasa Bunko.

3 Likes

The chatting of 瀧 and 三葉 was quite hard :sob:
On the one hand it was quite casual speech (which I’m not good at), but the even more difficult part: Kanji printed in a bold font are so difficult to read!! (To be honest, I got the gist of the conversation but skipped large parts…)

マユゴロー Conversation

「お祖母ちゃん。なんでうちのご神体はこんなに遠くにあるのぉ?」四葉がうんざりしたように声を上げる。俺たちの前を歩く婆ちゃんが、背中で答える。「マユゴローのせいで、ワシにも分らん」
“Grandma, why is our home shrine (place of worship) so far away” raises Yotsuha her voice in boredom. Grandma, who is walking in front of us, answers us from her back (?):“Because of (Mayugoroo?) I don’t know it myself”

Even in the following text I don’t find an explanation for Mayugoroo. Was Mayugoroo this big fire, that destroyed the local history recordings? Even if, why should there be recorded, for which reason a holy place is at a specific location? They are just where they are, no god or higher entity would every care about the distance a human has to walk to a holy place, right?!

It HIGHLY confuses my, that sometimes 俺 has 「みつは」as furigana (or 三葉 with おれ)!!! What feeling does this create? Something like ‘well it was actually the same body, but 三葉 was in charge. So I don’t know exactly how to call it myself’? Is this type of stylistic device common in Japanese or is it rather exotic?

此岸 Part

「此岸に戻るには」ふいに神妙な調子で、婆ちゃんが口を開いた。「あんたたちの一等大切なもんを引き換えにせにゃいかんよ」
「ええっ!」俺は思わず声を上げた。「ちょ、ちょっと婆ちゃん、渡り終えてから言わないでよ!」
“In order to return to this side (of life)”, suddenly with a mysterious tone, grandma (sais) while opening her mouth, “You have to exchange your most important thing (??)”
“Eh?” without thinking I raise my voice, “Wa, wait, grandma, please don’t tell … (???)”

もん is dialect for もの?
What does this にせにゃいかんよ mean? I totally font get this one :sob:
Why is granny using あんたたち? Isn’t this word used to show, that the speaker is annoyed by the addressor?
And even after looking up the vocabs three times, I don’t get what 瀧 means with 渡り終えてから. Something like 'after we cross there, we’ll end (our life)?

Cheers,
T ~ :lion:

PS: Me at weekend

AAAHhhhh, finally I finished my reviews and the weekly post in the book club. This was a productive, but exhausting morning again. Let’s finally have some free time… Well, what should I do? Hmm, I could read a little in 君の名は… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Mayugoro was explained in an earlier passage, way back in chapter 2, during the cord-weaving scene - Yamazaki Mayugoro was the local sandal-maker, and a fire that started in his bath room destroyed all of the shrine’s historical records, leaving them only the form of all their rituals, but not their meanings.

4 Likes

The furigana on non-matching kanji seems to be a pretty common literary device revealing the speakers’ inner thoughts, despite what they say (in the main stream of text). I’ve even seen small kanji where furigana would normally go. So, I assume that the furigana names the hidden spirit, while the Kanji names the body everyone else sees.

5 Likes

Oh, that was a name of a sandal maker?! Whoopsiee, I kind of missed that (I thought they named the fire this way and was totally confused :D)

1 Like

The fire got named after him. In fact, either Mitsuha or Yotsuha commented on this way back in the scene where they were making the 組紐. They say something along the lines of “poor guy having a fire named after him and only being remembered for that”.

Side note: Earlier in this section, Taki (in Mitsuha’s body) made it clear he didn’t know this name. But grandma didn’t call “her” out for this? Hmm. And then with all that ムスビ talk about the interconnectedness of people and things, I kinda get the feeling she can sort of sense what’s going on with Mitsuha, no? I haven’t seen the movie, so don’t spoil it please. Just making the observation!

にせにゃいかん

This was tricky. I mean, it was obvious from context what it meant, but until I dug into it, I couldn’t explain exactly what was happening grammatically. According to a post I found on HiNative (where, by the way, many Tokyo natives appeared to be somewhat confused by this line themselves):

せにゃ/しなくちゃ
いかんよ/いけないよ

引き換えにしなくちゃいけないよ

This makes perfect sense to me.

あんたたち

あんた does sound condescending if you use it towards someone who is ostensibly “on the same level” as you in terms of age/rank/whatever. But, she’s their grandmother, so she’s well within her right to refer to her grandchildren in such a way. It doesn’t sound condescending or rude in this case. More like “hey kids listen up”, which your grandma can totally say to you. It’s kind of hard to explain, but I hope you get the idea.

渡り終えてから…

渡る: To cross
終える: To finish
Hence; 渡り終える = to finish crossing
〜てから: After
言わないで: Don’t say

All together: Don’t say that after we’ve crossed!

In other words: you could have warned us before we crossed into this “other world” that we were going to have to give up our most precious possession in order to get back!

Hopefully this helps! Also, I’m hardly an expert at any of this myself, so please someone feel free to jump in and correct me if I’m accidentally leading people astray! :sweat_smile:

Edit: Just added some extra details/observations.

6 Likes

I’m not the one to talk about common literary devices in Japanese, but as a reader I genuinely enjoyed this part and this little thing. Like the conversation came to be thee-sided at some point. Taki was fully aware when Gramma talked about something only mitsuha would undestand or when his reactions in Mitsuhas body were uncharacteristical for, well, Mituha. So he uses ‘ore’ to convey his inner thoughts and ‘mitsuha’ to convay visible reactions or responses. It makes sense even in the greater canvas of a text. He gives away the fact that he cames to understnad Mitsuha better and he can fully separate not only dream from reality but also himself from his ‘dream’ version. That’s a nice little detail, I suppose

6 Likes

Please help me understand this sentence on page 83 (Tsubasa Bunko):

俺/私は、いないんじゃなくて作らないの!

My attempt at a breakdown

俺/私は - marks topic as “I”
いない - negative form of いる
んじゃなくて - explanatory の + じゃない + て-form
作らない - negative form of 作る
の - for emphasis?

My (loose) attempt at a translation: While I am not around, don’t use it

I really doubt this is correct. I feel a bit lost because I know all the words but I can’t make much sense of them.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Remember this is in the context of each of them getting the other one a boyfriend/girlfriend (or, as the movie implies, both of them might be getting girlfriends :stuck_out_tongue: )

いないじゃなくて = it’s not that I don’t have (a boyfriend/girlfriend)
作らない = it’s that I’m not getting one. (彼氏を作る = to get a boyfriend… I think)

5 Likes

Ooh I didn’t know 作る could be used like that, thank you!

2 Likes