君の名は - Your Name (Intermediate Book Club)

This. Also, the book contains a fair amount of dialect which makes certain parts of it an extra chore to read.

Kiki’s Delivery Service is quite a bit easier I think.

5 Likes

A big advantage to Kiki as a first novel is the already-existing vocabulary lists created by previous book clubs.

5 Likes

Just a FYI, both have readymade vocab lists at koohi.cafe (previously at floflo).

8 Likes

I haven’t read Your Name beyond a couple a page, but I would say go with Kiki’s. Because the narrator’s voice is in “fairy-tale” mode, it mostly uses polite language, with little slang, and things are generally fairly explicit/non ambiguous language wise.

As has been previously mentioned, Kiki’s also has a fully populated vocab spread sheet AND because it has been read by two separate book clubs, the threads (especially for the first half) are extremely extensive, with pretty much any possible tough bit addressed. The first chapter was a challenge (largely because I hadn’t read a novel before and wasn’t used to longer sentences), but after that, it is very manageable with perhaps low to mid N4 grammar profiency with the helps of the spreadsheet and threads.

11 Likes

Aww nice! That is encouraging to someone currently at low to mid N4 grammar level haha. Looking forward to giving Kiki a shot!

8 Likes

Sorry for the delay, had some real life commitments. Week 6 is here.

7 Likes

Week 7 up.

3 Likes

Thread is up! I’m so much behind :roll_eyes:.

4 Likes

I’m behind too. Been busy moving house all weekend, so I haven’t read any since Thursday.

2 Likes

Week 9 is short and sweet.

2 Likes

Well, that’ll give me time to get caught up, fingers crossed. Didn’t get any reading done for all of the Easter weekend, which resulted in a bit of a cascade effect…

3 Likes

With コンビニ done and a short reading week here I’m burning through ゆるキャン as promised! Getting caught back up with everything after my move has been a month long process…

3 Likes

Week 10 a bit late but now up.

3 Likes

よいっしょ

3 Likes

Here is week 12. Sorry for the delay, we had a national holiday and was busy with errands partying (responsibly).

5 Likes
3 Likes

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 21.21.49

:flushed:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Second to last week is upon us!

2 Likes

Had a busy weekend with a birthday party and a christening, so it’s a bit late like usual but…

Anyway, welcome to the final week!

3 Likes