Start date: March 13th
Previous Part: Week 4
Next Part: Week 6

Reading

Book was started February 13th.

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page Page Count
Week 5 March 13th 入れ替えってる!? 78** 16

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I am no longer reading the book

0 voters

3 Likes

I like that “hedgehog” is literally “needle rat.”

5 Likes

Heh. The asterisks marking the end of this reading are literally the first line of text on page 78 in my Tsubasa Bunko - 77 ends with one short line of text and almost a full-page image. First time we’re (kinda) ending on the same page. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

A month has already passed and I feel with each week I’m getting more and more into the story. I’m glad to go through it with a book club, otherwise I don’t think I would be able to push myself into regular reading. :sweat_smile:

There were two parts in this week’s reading which I’m not sure I fully understood:

1. When Taki is talking with his dad after body swap
Summary

I understand that dad asks whether Taki knows how to get to work, but after that I got confused.

「はあ?…あっ、司てめえ、もしかしてお前か?」
俺は反射的に声を荒らげる。ていうかむしろこいつの仕業であってほしい。だが、司の怪訝表情が違うと告げている。他人が手間暇かけてこんないたずらをする理由なんてない、自分でもそれはわかっているのだ。

Does Taki first think about the situation that it might be a joke made by his friend (who had also told Taki’s dad?), but after that he realizes, because of Tsukasa’s puzzled expression, there must had been really something strange in his behaviour (because there is no way someone would make such an effort to make a joke like this?)

1. When Saya is decribing what Matsumoto had been gossiping about the other day
Summary

She says:

町政なんて助成金をどう配るかだけやでだれがやったって同じやとか、
でもそれで生活してる子もおるしなとか、そんなくだらない話。

Is Matsumoto saying that some kids are living off the grant-in-aid, distributed by town administration - implying Mitsuha is one of them? Did I get it right?

4 Likes

Phew, last week I got well behind but finally caught up!

I found last week a bit hard going on the reading, didn’t really understand all of it as much as i’d like, but i managed to get most of the gist since I’ve watched the film a few times. Hopefully this week It’ll be a bit easier.

Thanks for everyone who’s been asking questions so far, nearly every Q asked has been useful for me too!

5 Likes

I don’t think the dad has anything to do with the conversation at this point. It’s actually Tsukasa who asks him if he knows how to get to work here. It’s a little awkward because the book kind of jumps from him reading the phone diary and yelling in front of his dad, to suddenly being with Tsukasa at school.

Anyway, it seems you’ve got it just about right.

Tsukasa Question

“Rather, what I mean is, I want it to be him that did it. (Probably because this would be a simple explanation). But the puzzled look on his face is telling me I’m wrong.

Even I know there’s no reason for another person to put in so much time and effort just for a prank.

So yea, I would say your interpretation is right!

Matsumoto Question

That’s about what I got out of it. I had a bit of a hard time with that passage as well. But I don’t see why Matsumoto would have brought up the fact that there are some kids living off of the 助成金 unless it was to imply Mitsuha was one of them.

I actually found this part to be easier than most of the reading so far. Hopefully that means I’ve gotten used to the writing style and the rest of the book won’t be too bad!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what made this part a little confusing…

Thank you for your answers!

3 Likes

Woah, this book finally got chosen

2 Likes

Uh, yeah. Like… two months ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m not keeping up with the clubs anymore

1 Like

It’s finally starting to feel like I’m getting used to the writing style. At least I’m getting better at telling who’s speaking and who is in which body, which was a large part of my confusion in the beginning. I’m glad I didn’t give up after week 2, even though I was reeally tempted :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I have a grammar question about a sentence on page 73 (no border): 俺は熱湯を頭からかぶったように
Does this mean as if boiling water was pouring from my head? I vaguely understand what this means, but it’s a bit odd, so insight is welcome.

2 Likes

Oh, I really liked this phrase!!!

Rather: “I was [/felt like] as if boiling water was poured [on me] from head [to toe]”
I usually interpret 被る as ‘putting something on one’s head’. But it seems, it also has a meaning of ‘poring some liquid on one’s head’. So, beginning on the head (から), hot water is poured on him. And yeah, the 「ように」 makes it to an ‘as if x was true’.
(I hope that was the question?!)

~T :lion:

5 Likes

It was that から that made me think water was pouring off of him… If it begins on the head, it has nowhere to go but away from the head, right? So… What is up with that から?

Edit…
Wait, I just figured out what you meant… 頭から[足まで]…

4 Likes