Start date: November 13th 2021
Previous part: Week 3
Next part: Volume 2
Wordlist: Google sheets

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page (PB) Page Count
Wk 4 13 Nov Chapters 6-7 146 33

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I am reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I am reading behind the schedule
  • I have decided to drop the book
  • I am a tomato, show me the results :durtle_tomato:

0 voters

1 Like

Oof, cliffhanger ending.

So, Musashino is a neighbourhood in Tokyo, just north of Mitaka (where the Ghibli Museum is - in fact, the museum is pretty close to the border). I’m not entirely what 第三京浜線 might refer to, though 第三京浜道路 is the name of a highway. Alternately, there’s the JR 京浜東北線.

7 Likes

Not unexpected of course, but this one really leaves us hanging :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Lots of parts without text this week and a lot of really nice drawings of the scenery. The language wasn’t too hard so only a few parts I wasn’t sure of.

The title of chapter 6

Pre-spending-New-Year’s-holidays-taking-a-good-rest-at-home-without-going-out-anywhere? :stuck_out_tongue:

p. 127

Here the text is basically saying that the dawn of New Year’s day is usually not as wintery and cold as this, did I understand that correctly?

p. 129: もうちょっとここによっか

I can’t really figure out what she is saying here (the よっか part in particular, of course - not sure if the つ is a big or small one, it’s hard to tell with this font).

p. 138: 8割がた私がのんでるかな

What is the がた in this sentence?

By the way, it’s notable that the gun makes an appearance again. Is she holding it close because it reminds her of the owner or are there other reasons…

p. 144: 母屋に?

Does she mean here that she is surprised that the bell of the residence is rung? (And so the cafe has its own entrance?)

4 Likes
On phone so all hidden at once

She is saying that their everyday life doesn’t feel very wintery, so if you don’t watch the first day break in the cold like this you don’t get the feeling it’s “new year”.

You misread :sweat_smile: It’s いよっか, which is just いようか (居ようか if the kanji helps). How about we stay here for a little bit longer.

I’m pretty sure it’s 8割方 (80%) but I can’t find anything to corroborate that claim right now.

Yes. You can see that the door is different.

7 Likes

That’s what I was thinking too..

7 Likes

Thanks! I was having more trouble translating that than I thought :sweat_smile:

It was bound to be something as simple as that :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

I think she’s talking about how much the beans contribute to the taste. I don’t have time to read them properly right now, but there’s a few articles like this that come up on google
https://kuraharu.hatenablog.com/entry/2015/01/08/233000

コーヒーの味を決めるのは8割コーヒー豆。当たり前だ、だって豆から味が出るんだもの。残りの2割は豆の味を台無しにしない淹れ方が一割、そして水である。

3 Likes

No, we were talking about the part where she said she is drinking about 80% of the shop’s coffee.

Edit: actually, I guess that’s the part you are talking about? But she literally just says the thing above, she isn’t talking about the taste.
I was just wondering about the kanji (which got confirmed by @kinwein)

Edit2: that’s a nice link, though!

6 Likes

ah, that makes more sense :man_facepalming:

was being rushed and didn’t have time to think it through properly

2 Likes

Well that was a nice, relaxing, atmospheric read. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the scenery, and the calm end-of-days feel.

It felt a bit like ‘the end is coming anyway, so let’s enjoy the time we have left by helping each other out’. Very different from the usual (post)apocalyptic settings you see.

There not being an overabundance of text helped with the catching up as well.
Loved the old man. :+1:

11 Likes

What did you make of うしろはとっかかりないからね on page 120? Jisho gives me “beginning; clue; starting point” for とっかかり but that’s not making a whole lot of sense to me…?

I am also not sure how ぶん ties into ふだんがあんまり冬っぽくないぶん on page 127.

2 Likes

I think the first one is saying there’s nothing to hold onto. 取っ掛かり is defined as 「取りつく〈こと・場所〉。」 in the 三省堂.

found some other example sentences that look right for that as well:

ヒューズが切れてないか確かめたいんだけど
思いっきりペンチとかで引き抜けばいいんですか?
爪じゃ何もとっかかりない

「屋根の上から落とせば、さすがに壊れるんじゃないかなあとは思ってましたけど……この辺、登れそうなとっかかりないんですよね。よさげな道具探すついでに、コレ運びますか」

I’m not sure why weblio and jisho don’t list this usage :man_shrugging:

I think ぶん is one of the meanings here…probably 5. I’m not really sure how to explain it but I think it basically means that sentence is emphasising the next bit about it feeling like the new year

3 Likes

That’s interesting! I should get a proper Japanese dictionary I guess!

3 Likes

It made me think of Flowers by Talking Heads

Once there were parking lots
Now it’s a peaceful oasis
You’ve got it, you’ve got it

This was a Pizza Hut
Now it’s all covered with daisies
You got it, you got it

I dream of cherry pies,
Candy bars, and chocolate chip cookies
You got it, you got it

We used to microwave
Now we just eat nuts and berries
You got it, you got it

2 Likes

I just finished reading the volume. This was a great read and it got me so interested to learn what happens next and what is the story of that post-apocalyptic world. I’m definitely planning to read the rest of it.

@Phryne @denzo
I’m late but those were the two questions I had for this week. Thanks for asking and answering. :smiley:

8 Likes

I’d like to read the rest with the group too. I have thoughts to express. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Are you willing to take care of the threads? :sweat_smile:
Or anyone else, really.
I am planning to keep reading this series, in any case.

1 Like

Looks like everyone enjoyed it. Meanwhile, I was mostly just bored. :sweat_smile: I really struggle reading manga when there’s no story, no comedy, and not even high quality art.

3 Likes

Phew! Glad I’m not the only one. Didn’t want to say anything though, because it seems everyone really liked it :sweat_smile: I do enjoy manga with more action as well.

While the manga itself didn’t wow me, I had fun reading along and hanging out with the club :relaxed:

2 Likes

Funny thing is I don’t really read action manga. It’s just that the slice of life manga I read are usually comedy, not iyashikei. Really the only iyashikei manga I ever enjoyed was Aria, and even that had parts that were boring for me.

1 Like