Week 4: ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 (Intermediate BC)

I do like the art style, though. It might be because of nostalgia, though.

2 Likes

It’s a bit crude for my taste, but then it is much older than the manga I typically read. The closest manga I read was Aqua/Aria which started in 2001, then Hourou Musuko in 2002. But after that it’s all manga from 2009 or later, so quite a bit more recent than this manga.

2 Likes

True, this manga is from 1994, so a tad older.

By the way, I still do not quite understand what is (or isn’t) 癒し系, but my main interest in this manga (besides the art, which, again, I do like) is the atmosphere and the background. I’m really curious about the robots, what happened to humanity, and (the?) ミサゴ (she’s so sort of mutant, I guess?)

3 Likes

There is a fair art shift in this manga. Actually, there’s even a noticeable difference between the start and end of this volume alone.

4 Likes

I remember being surprised at how jarring it was looking back at the first volume right after finishing the last, so it definitely noticeably smooths out quite a bit (like a long-running series tends to do, I suppose).

(that said I quite like the art even in the beginning)

6 Likes

I think it has a slightly old-fashioned cartoony drawing style, but I like it. It has some nice scenes (Takahiro biking through the rain, Alpha being brought to the doctor, Takahiro and Alpha riding to the dawn event through the night) and some really nice landscape drawings. I like it better than Aria (which is just too girly for me). It’s all pretty uneventful and the last chapter in particular is a little throw-away, but the manga is also a brisk read so far so it doesn’t take up too much of your time. If we continue, I’ll probably read along.

4 Likes

Came to say that I like the art, but I see I’m late to the party. :laughing:

6 Likes

I’m usually not a fan of the art in most old manga, but I have to say I also enjoyed it quite a lot in this one, because it feels to me like it fits really well with the mood so far

5 Likes