Start date: October 30th 2021
Previous part: Week 1
Next part: Week 3
Wordlist: Google sheets

Reading

Week Start Date End Phrase End Page (PB) Page Count
Wk 2 30 Oct Chapters 2-3 78 37

Discussion Rules

• Please use spoiler tags for major events in the current chapter(s) and any content in future chapters.
  • When asking for help, please mention the chapter and page number. Also mention what version of the book you are reading.
  • Don’t be afraid of asking questions, even if they seem embarassing at first. All of us are here to learn.
  • To you lurkers out there: Join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll.
(Please feel free to update your status whenever you like!)

• I am reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I am reading behind the schedule
  • I have decided to drop the book
  • I am a tomato, show me the results :durtle_tomato:

0 voters

3 Likes

Ya know, I’ve read this several times in English, but never once realised that ミサゴ means “osprey”…

Page 66, is Alpha gargling dish detergent? It’s got キッチン written on it…

7 Likes

I didn’t know what an osprey was until I looked it up right now :stuck_out_tongue: I didn’t think of checking ミサゴ, I just assumed it was the name of whatever she is.

Other than that, the hug scene in that chapter made me wildly uncomfortable…

It also says 中性, and it sure is.
I’m trying to make a joke about the pH, but I can’t. I need coffee first.

8 Likes

I am having some trouble with the old man’s language :thinking:

Page 69
わりいっつうんで

Page 70
全部だけんど

Is that a variant of けど?

Page 70
肥やしにすんのもあんだしよー

I imagine すん is する, but beyond that…?

Really enjoying this manga (except for when the old dude shows up lol). A very chill read :grin:

6 Likes

I haven’t read the chapters yet, but I’ll help as best I can.

• わりい = 悪い
  • っつう = という or っていう
  • んで = ので or perhaps のだ, though I’m really not sure on this one without reading the chapter for context.
5 Likes

Pretty much sums up this week’s chapters: one nice and easy read (if a bit sexy) and one chapter that is basically a string of onomatopoeia and hard-to-parse じいさん-speech :smiley:

Kidding aside, I agree: it was a nice read again. I thought the ミサゴ chapter had a nice plot and I liked the underlying legend (a spirit who likes to play with children but scares them off because of her fangs). And the other chapter had some nice humor.

I had similar questions as @Phryne and will probably post a few more later.

One simple one first, though: what do you all think would be a good English translation for chapter 3’s title? Stripy rolly things? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I think so

I think あるんだしょ = something along the lines of あるのだよ (so the whole sentence is “you can also make it into fertilizer”)

10 Likes

Oh, that’s a good one. I hadn’t thought of interpreting it like that. I thought he was saying something about the crop being so large because he had applied fertiliser or something but that would have required a past tense somewhere, of course.

3 Likes

I’m really loving this manga so far, just what I needed after finishing Flying Witch. :slight_smile:

I couple of points I couldn’t figure out in Chapter 3:

1. タカ坊

What does it mean here?

1. ぶったおれちゃって

From Jisho I found that, ぶったおれる means “to fall flat; to collapse in a heap”, but I couldn’t really fit that into the context here.

4 Likes

It’s a bit like a nickname. The boy’s name is Takahiro, and the 坊 here is boy like how you might see someone someone older refer to a boy they know as 坊や. So the old man’s referring to him affectionately in a way that emphasizes his youth. #5 on jisho, I’d say

She tried to develop a tolerance for animal-derived food with things like milk and eggs, but was unsuccessful… If the ぶったおれちゃって is literal perhaps she would always quickly be laid up with whatever the android equivalent of stomach pain would be, but I read it more as like she tried her best to 練習 but was quickly defeated nonetheless and had to give up.
I think you might see more later in the series about what kinds of ways certain human foodstuffs affect her…

6 Likes

That’s pretty much it, yes. I like the Japanese version better though :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s ので, and it goes on with これや(る)よ.

5 Likes

I’m really enjoying the manga so far, it’s a good read.

At page 56, when the boy says
本屋なんか寄んじゃなかった!
I’m having some trouble with what the 「寄んじゃなかった」actually means. Is he saying that he shouldn’t have stopped at the bookstore? How should I break it down?

4 Likes

寄るのではなかった
[I] shouldn’t have made a stop (at the book store)
Xではなかった is a standard construction (i.e. a “grammar point”, but it’s a bit weird to call it grammar as far as I am concerned)

He is doing the same thing with his るの here as his grandfather.

4 Likes

Yep, super obvious once I saw the context. Of course ので is the default guess for んで, but this guy speaks so strangely I didn’t feel confident enough to say for sure until I read the chapters.

Regarding the chapters, it’s nice that there was finally some comment about her being a robot, specifically her explanation for why she can’t eat protein.

7 Likes

Makes sense, thanks!

Is Xではなかった a short form of Xべきではなかった then?

3 Likes

I think so. At least, they mean the same thing.

3 Likes

Here are two questions I have about the ミサゴ chapter.

Page 46, bottom in the middle: ちょっと先で魚の群れがワラッと動いた

I couldn’t find anything for ワラッと. Or is it just an ad hoc onomatopoeia?

On page 62, top left: 人目につくのもだったのねきっと

Is the ヤ just an abbreviated 嫌?

On a side note, I thought ぼっと on page 59 (when he’s being hugged by the ミサゴ) was pretty funny: all the meanings on Jisho seem applicable here :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Yep, that’s how I read it as well.

And for the other one, I couldn’t find anything either…

4 Likes

Often if you can’t find it as 〇〇っと it shows up in the repeating form. In this case:

There might be some nuance difference, like the っと version being once / shorter / more sudden compared to the repeating form. I feel like I’ve heard something like that before, but I’m not really sure.

12 Likes

Thank you both!

That is such a good tip! I had totally forgotten about that.

3 Likes