Week 1: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

I’ve noticed this with other BookWalker ebooks. Their image quality is just plain bad sometimes, making smaller kanji really hard to read.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s disappointing! This is my first manga, and the novels I’ve tried so far have been great quality… Maybe I’ll have to go ahead and start ordering physicals

1 Like

I’m also quite disappointed by this manga’s quality on BookWalker… I’ve read a few manga with them, and some have a much better image quality (e.g. Flying Witch) but others have the same bad image quality as this one :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t have the manga with me right now so I can’t check, but isn’t it just a case of the kanji and furigana not matching? That’s used a lot for style (the main text being what is said out loud and the furigana being the intended meaning).

3 Likes

Oh really? I always thought it’s the other way around :rofl:

(e.g. in Kemono no Souja, the furigana is the phantasy name and the kanji describes what it really means)

5 Likes

Or maybe the other way around. It’s always obvious from context, so it’s hard to remember in a void :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve seen it both ways, but much more often the furigana is the pronunciation while the kanji indicates the meaning. Like 地球マンホーム.

7 Likes

aha… well now that I know that’s a thing, then it makes perfect sense :upside_down_face:

Here’s the panel in question…

4 Likes

The quality of the kindle book leaves a lot to be desired, too. It’s difficult to read many of the kanji and zooming in just leaves you with a blurry mess to decipher.

4 Likes

From Jisho:
判明 (はんめい) establishing, proving, ascertaining, identifying, confirming

But this doesn’t match the furigana. The word わかる does seem like it’d make sense here…

2 Likes

Yeah, I just got to this panel as well. I’m glad I’m not the only not getting what they mean here. :smiley: But I spent enough time on it, I’m moving on. I’m sure somebody can enlighten us.

@davids68 It’s unfortunately the case with a lot of old manga, but I think it’s quite readable in this case. I checked the preview on Bookwalker and it even looks a bit clearer than the Amazon quality.

Comparison

Bookwalker:

Amazon:

both 200% zoom.

Also woah, there’s a colored version? :open_mouth:

Edit: Oh, I realized you posted the colored version screenshot. Wow, yeah. That’s very pixely. But I guess that’s far more zoomed in? If I zoom in to 400% it looks similar, but why do you need to zoom in that much?

2 Likes

Well, again, that kind of thing happen all the time. Now you know :wink:

(And yeah, in this case the furigana is what she said and the kanji what she means)

3 Likes

No, I still don’t. I know that they sometimes use different kanji and furigana, but the question is why those kanji? It appears again a few pages later.

Edit: Oh, I was reading mikki_desu’s post wrong. I thought they were wondering about why they are using these particular kanji and not why the furigana doesn’t match. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Well it’s not my first time consuming Japanese content, but it’s my first time that I’m trying to stick with something that’s difficult to handle. I’ve read some graded learner books which are quite basic, and attempted to play Pokemon AS a few months ago but I just couldn’t keep up with it.

I’ve mainly just been using SRS programs alongside my college curriculum, so I’m lv 41 WK, about halfway through N4 grammar in bunpro, and I’ve learned 1200 words in Torii. That being said, I can recognize a lot of kanji and vocab, but I feel like I’m still far from understanding natural Japanese compared to textbook forms.

The biggest challenge with reading at this point, personally, is trying not to tell myself that I need to do more grammar study before I can attempt to read things. It’s so easy to crawl back into my SRS cave and sit on things for a few months while I review more content, but I don’t want to let it hold me back from applying the vocabulary that I’ve learned

2 Likes

Oh, that’s just how big the forums made the screenshot I captured on my iPad. I don’t know how to make it smaller. The ways of the forums are sometimes mysterious to me.

I get the concept but I still don’t quite get it either, i.e. how does 判明 fit in with the らない that follows it? Or is it the case that 判明 stands alone as an entirely separate thought that has no relation to the words around it? Maybe I need my morning coffee before I think about it Too much…

2 Likes

It doesn’t. The word is わからない (to not know/understand). The kanji are just here to give flavor.
If you took the kanji at face value, that sentence would not make sense.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Was wondering both actually! Everything about it is confusing to me

2 Likes

Ah I see, well good luck with this one I hope uoyou enjoy it! I’ll be keen to hear how you go with it :slight_smile:

I’m only halfway through and I already have a lot of questions!

Page 10 Col. Ed.

その訳あつて秘密のテント暮らしをしています

Does あつて come from あつい and it means something like that recent situation? I’m not sure that makes sense grammatically.

Page 17

I first thought 毒電波どくでんぱ were some kind of poisoned/killer waves from Hanajima :joy:, but they’re just radio waves :pensive:. I’m curious about why the poison kanji is used.

Page 19

Long dialogue

自分てめえ の事あんま話さないらしいし
Who is she talking about? Is she saying that Yuki doesn’t seem to talk much about himself? The kanji vs. furigana thing confuses me again.

Then I understand the first bubble of the story of the girl, but I get completely lost in the second one, apart from the fact that he pushes her away. I would need some help breaking it down.

1 Like