Week 1: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

It’s not called 上 and 下, is it? :wink:

In the original breakdown it was just called “Chapter 1” and “Chapter 1” which is fine in a table that contains all weeks, but as I am repeating each week’s breakdown in its individual thread, I found it confusing to call it “Chapter 1” without making it visible that it’s not the full Chapter 1. So I got a bit creative…

My guess would be excessively or something along these lines.

Because I did not think about putting them there :joy_cat: Will fix this soon.

4 Likes

So on page 16 (I think) I am a little confused.

偶然が許されるなら
警察なんぞいらん

I think I understand the first part as “Even if coincidences are permitted…” or something like that but I don’t understand the second line at all. I know they are crazy teenage girls but where do police come into it?! :sweat_smile:

Also on the same page:
調子にのってんじゃないの?!I don’t understand the のってん。

1 Like

“If coincidences were allowed, there wouldn’t be police.”
He’s basically saying that if coincidences were allowed as acceptable excuses, we would have no need for the police.

“You’re not getting cocky, are you?!”
調子にのる is a set expression that means “to get carried away” or “to get cocky”. のってん is short for のっていない。

7 Likes

Yea, I’m reading the ebooks

Looks like the page numbers are offset between the regular and the collector’s edition… Page 6 of the regular edition should be page 10 of the collector’s edition. (Which is the first proper page after the title page of the chapter; it has 3 panels and the text is in the bottommost one.)

1 Like

いる as a ichidan verb means to be, but in this case it’s いる the godan verb meaning ‘to need’, so he’s even literally saying they wouldn’t ‘need’ police in that case. The いらん is short for いらない. The verb ‘to be’ in negative form would be いない.

4 Likes

Oh, right! I always get them confused. :joy: Thanks!

1 Like

Oh! I did not know that expression! Thanks so much! :smiley:

2 Likes

Awesome! I’d also put up a link to the vocab sheet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s seems no one replied to your question, so

Page 14

No, that’s 紫呉. He just got smacked on the head by the bag, so he is wondering out loud how it can hurt so much (turns out it does contain dictionaries)

3 Likes

It actually looks like the collector’s edition doesn’t have the little three panel gag comic that’s page 6 of the regular edition. I snipped it from the Book Walker preview below for those reading from the collector’s edition that want to see it, though of course you can always check the preview yourself too. :slight_smile:

The page in question

Page 7 of the regular edition preview on Book Walker matches up to page 9 in the collector’s edition, which is the first actual page of the first chapter. The first actually numbered page in the preview is page 10, which is numbered as page 12 in the collector’s edition so it looks like we have a two page offset here. Which at least explains why I’ve been confused looking at some of these comments that I couldn’t find the same text on that page in my book so I feel a bit less lost now. :laughing:

6 Likes

What do you guys have instead, in the first few pages?

Edit: I see in the main thread that @TrinityBringer said that おまけ comic was moved to a different chapter in the collector edition. Makes sense, since it’s actually a spoiler, and we’ll only learn about that next week :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

These photos aren’t great quality, just snapped them real quick, but here’s the beginning pages from my copy.

Hidden for size

I did see the mention of that おまけ being moved but I haven’t figured out to where just yet. There is another one at the end of chapter one, but not focused on Yuki. I’ve only done a quick flip through the book as a whole though.

4 Likes

So I’m a little late to the discussion here, but I figured I’d start off with a basic question :sweat_smile:

This is my first time seriously trying to read Japanese content. I’ve accepted that I won’t be able to understand everything in my first go, but what way should I go about reading this? Should I skim the chapter to see what I naturally get first, and then slowly go back through to break things up, or is it better to take it slow from the start and try to get a general idea of the story? I know it’s probably different for everyone but I wan’t to make sure I lay some groundwork that helps me work through this the best so I don’t give up too early

2 Likes

Honestly, I would say try it both ways and see which one leads to more enjoyment for you because that is ultimately how you get the most benefit from it. Personally, I am going through it slower to try to work out some colloquial and/or set expressions that I would not understand by skimming. But I don’t think there’s really a wrong way to do it as long as you are challenging yourself and pushing the limits of your understanding. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

他の質問があるよ!

On the middle panel of page 19, the kanji 判明 is used with わか as the furigana next to it. But I can’t find a definition for that kanji with that reading. The only one I found has the reading はんめい. What am I missing?

2 Likes

I couldn’t find the panel you’re talking about (I have the kindle version, and the page numbers are screwy). Edit: Found it on page 17!

判る is a form of 分かる according to Jisho 判 わかる - Jisho.org

I hope that helps in some way. I have no idea how the 明 fits in.

1 Like

Hmm. That definition makes sense to me in the context of what was going on but I was stumped on that kanji usage. I guess if it is just an archaic kanji usage that makes sense considering it was Hanajima speaking?

Hi there! As it’s your first time trying to consume Japanese content I’m curious to know how you find it! I see that you’re level 41 on WK. Have you studied much grammar or anything else outside of WK?

Is anyone else struggling with the quality of the ebook (specifically BookWalker)? The furigana and the more hand-written fonts are HARD!

6 Likes