Week 1: フルーツバスケット ・ Fruits Basket 🍏 🍇 🍑 🍒 🍐 🍊 🧺

Page 10

It is あって rather than あつて. It can be a little difficult to tell the difference between つ and っ in manga sometimes. The が has been dropped, so this is actually from the phrase 訳がある.

Page 17

毒電波 are not regular radio waves (which are just 電波). They’re more like mind-power waves. I’m not sure exactly why they’re 電波, but it might be because they’re usually used to harm.

Page 19

Yes, she’s talking about Yuki. Based on her persona I would guess that てめえ is what she “said”, but 自分 is what she meant. Yuki has a mysterious air about him because he doesn’t talk about himself (自分), and there was also the incident with the female student who confessed and tried to hug him, and he shoved her away. The カニ歩き here makes me laugh. :laughing:

思いきし (or 思いっきし) means with all one’s might. So she confessed and was forcefully shoved away (by Yuki) and became frightened. 突き飛ばす is in the passive tense here.

The handwritten text in between the two speech bubbles says 別にあたしは知らなくてもいーけど.

10 Likes

Funnily enough, if recall correctly, 毒電波 was actually translated as “poison waves” in the original Tokyopop publication. In the updated translation by Yen Press, they translated it as “poisonous electromagnetic waves”. Both of them mention poison, yet the actual Jisho description doesn’t mention poison at all. This means that both publishers either took the 毒 literally, or its because of what @catbus said:

2 Likes

I’m regretting not getting the physical book, like the Bookwalker version, the Google Play Book version is also very pixelated even in colour.

I’m finding pages 11 and on to be very difficult, lot of new vocab and and grammar.

Oh, even knowing this I can barely tell the difference in that font!

Thanks for pointing this out, love it :joy:. I’m trying to decipher the handwritten text as much as possible, but it’s everywhere and sometimes I’m like… nah, too much effort.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

2 Likes

According to the Japanese equivalent of urban dictionary (https://dic.pixiv.net/), the term was coined in a visual novel in which they were, indeed, used to cause some sort of harm. (I’m not going to be more specific).
It’s the equivalent of urban dictionary, so I would take whatever they say with a grain of salt, though.

2 Likes

EM4-2PjWwAcKLID

7 Likes

That was my reaction too upon reading the synopsis of that visual novel.

3 Likes

Alright, I finished my first skim through the other day and now I’m going to try and work out some of the finer details that I’m missing.

(page numbers from collector’s edition)

Page 9

Bottom-right panel: “忘れ物は無いですね”, “では お母さんお留守番頼みましたね”
I read the first part as something like “I haven’t forgotten anything”, and then “my mom entrusted me with taking care of the home”, but I think I’m a bit off because I feel like the two ideas are supposed to be a bit more connected, right?

Page 10

Middle-left Panel: “私の取り柄はどんな時でもめげないことです”
I’ll try to break this down and see what I’m missing
私の: my
取り柄; worth/merit
どんな: (not quite sure, does this just combine with 時でも to denote “anytime”?)
時でも: anytime
めげる:to be discouraged

rough translation w/ previous context: I won’t let myself give up through this hardship

I also might be off with 時でも, since I know いつでも is usually more commonplace for a literal translation of “always/whenever”

That’s all I’ve got for now, but I plan to crank some more questions out when I get home from work

1 Like
Page 9

It’s the other way around. “Mom, I’m entrusting you to take care of the home. The た form is often described as a past tense in English explanations, but it’s not. It can also be used as an imperative. E.g. ちょっと待った! “Wait!”

Page 10

You almost got it
“My strong point is that I never get discouraged”
どんな時でも is indeed “no matter when” but means “no matter the situation”. It’s the same “time” as the time in “we are going through some rough times right now”.

5 Likes

Can someone please share page 31 of the collector’s edition? I would like to know where to stop reading for this week.

It’s page 29 of the regular edition.

3 Likes

Oops. I just assumed it would be one chapter a week so I already finished the first chapter

7 Likes

Just popping in to say: hi, thanks for posting questions and answers, and I am here :slight_smile: So far I’m mostly just reading through and skipping over / very roughly translating stuff I don’t understand, but maybe as I get more into it I’ll try posting some questions here myself.

Reading through other people’s clarifications is helpful though!

I liked Shigure at first, shame he seems to be a bit of a dick (laughing at her for living in a tent…)

4 Likes

That’s just Shigure being Shigure!:joy:

3 Likes

Like others, the electronic copy I have is super pixellated (amazon kindle edition). Hopefully, I can catch up with you all once my physical copy comes in.

Some questions:

Page 11

"こんな処に女の子がいるなんて”

'A young girl in this place?" / 'What is a young girl doing here?" なんて having an incredulous emphasis on いる

"今日は勝手にみせて頂いてましたつ”

“Hello, I was receiving/looking at the display”

I, admittedly, struggled hard with this sentence- I don’t understand the function of "みせて” here. I can’t tell who is speaking, I think Honda is.

”どうぞどうぞ日干しにしてる物ですから”

“Feel free. They’re currently sun-drying” (acting as an explanation for why they’re out on the front porch)

Any clarifications would be appreciated!

1 Like

Yeah this is Honda speaking. みせる means ‘to show’/‘let someone see’. てform+頂く or もらう means to ‘receive’ the action/verb that is in te form. So Honda received the action of ‘him letting her see them’, or of ‘being shown them’. Of course nobody actively showed her or invited her to look because there was no one there, so she 勝手に did it - on her own.

I couldn’t see any other questions in your post. But in case you were wondering your take on the other sentences looks fine to me.

4 Likes

I’m still figuring out week 1 pages before I really dig into week 2

Page 18

花島:大変なだなあ 学費は自分で払うって約束してんだっけか
So this is being a long sentence really daunted me.
Would it be This a hard situation huh? Your school expenses are meant for you huh?
でも学費の為ならそんなに毎日する秘密ないのでは?

But aren’t they supposed to be kept a secret everyday?

Page 20

十二支の置物とかもみせてもらって ← This is Tohru right?
So (Talking about Shigure), he showed me the sexuagenary cycle objects
ああ。。。何か話したね「猫年になる」とか何とか

Ah, you said something about becoming the cat year or whatever

ズレた子供だったのですわたし

It slipped that I talked about my childhood

猫はバカだよ
タチも悪い ← what’s タチ?

Page 21

数詞や時計として使われ

Numbers and Time are used

その後陰陽五行や相生相剋が取り入れられ吉凶を占う物になったんだ

good luck is harvested from Yin, Yang, the Five Elements and whatever 相生相剋 is (elemental relationships according to the anime?), to make wishes?

EDIT: I’m just gonna keep adding to my post until someone responds

1 Like
Page 18

The way I have broken this up is:
学費は - regarding school expenses
自分で - by oneself
払う - to pay
って - I’ve taken this as a way of quotating what has been said previously and linking, but not sure of the grammar!
約束してん - to promise, in past
だっけ - apparently “expression used when the speaker is trying to recall some information”

So in summary: It must be hard… You promised that you would pay your school expenses by yourself, right?

The sentence reads 必要も無いのでは (you had some typos there).
She’s saying that it’s not necessary to work every day like that for tuition fees.

Page 20

Yes, it’s Tohru and you got it right. But 十二支 is just the twelve Zodiac signs, the sexagenary cycle thing is 十干十二支 (it combines the 10 Chinese calendar signs 十干, and the 12 zodiac signs 十二支 and it’s very confusing so I’ll link you to wikipedia in case you’re interested).

The topic 私 is at the end (this can be done in informal speech and we also saw it a few times in Yuru Camp). So she is talking of herself as a child, saying something like: The fact is that I was a misplaced(?) child.
Not sure what would be an accurate English translation for ずれた…

Can’t really help you with this one. Maybe he’s talking about how he dislikes the rest of the zodiac members in the Soma familiy?

Page 21 was a pain to read… but I’ll try

Page 21

I think he’s talking about the history of the zodiac signs and the calendar signs and all that.
Each zodiac sign has a corresponding hour range and I guess they have an order, so in the beginning they were also used as numerals. So this is for the first sentence.
Then other things such as the ying and yang (陰陽五行) and the constructive and destructive relationships between the 5 elements (相生相剋, more on that here!) were added to the mixture (取り入れる) and they became a way to tell someone’s fortune (吉凶を占う物になったんだ).

It took me soooo long to make sense of that sentence. So I hope I’ve helped you in some way!

2 Likes

Yeah big help thanks! These are the types of sentences that I would never have taken the time to break down were it not for the bookclub.

1 Like

Let me add this bit: って is the casual form of と or という and describes a quotation here. The word “that” in Cassini’s translation serves about the same purpose (indirect quotation in this case), but in Japanese quotations are often direct, so you can literally imagine having quotation marks around it:

“I will pay my school expenses by myself” was the promise you made, right?

3 Likes