We salute you API Version 1

Well for their defense, wkstat is unrelated to the team behind wk, afaik.
But I agree I will miss this feature. I also am not fond of the new ux. More choices are good, but so many more clics to access the data.

8 Likes

As @whinette pointed out, that project isn’t maintained by WaniKani and therefore they haven’t got control over that. I suspect that now that V1 has been twilighted, we’ll see @rfindley point the top level wkstats.com domain to the V2 page :slight_smile:

Remember that these 3rd party resources are often created and maintained entirely as passion projects for the benefit of the community <3

22 Likes

バイバイ!
:wave:

12 Likes

Goodbye accurate reviews count on Allicrab. I’ll miss you.

11 Likes

RIP

42 Likes

Rest in Power, Comrade API Version 1!

5 Likes

f ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎

8 Likes

Never could actually understand what this is ( :unamused:

7 Likes

The projection part is tagged under construction, so it will be here, we just have to wait a little :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I assume you already know from this thread, but in case that RIP was not for the old API, but a thought that wkstats will no longer work, you can access the V2 version here: wkstats

14 Likes

API means Application Programming Interface and lets applications and websites get information from your account, like the number of reviews you have and how many kanji you’ve learned :slight_smile:

The program can talk to the WaniKani server:
Application: I’d like to know how which kanji @antonlh has learned
WaniKani: Do you have an API key for them?
Application: Yes, here you go
WaniKani: Thanks, here’s the data

27 Likes

Thanks friend ! My API account could never been found, so I never got to check my (poor) stats and get learning projections. I guess I’ll just go with the flow and not care toonmuch about stats :wink:

1 Like

I just joined so I honestly have no idea what it does or what it’s for…

but based on the comments…it was a good move?

1 Like

Basicly, the API give the possibility to other applications to use wanikani’s datas. For exemple wkstats can give you some good statistiques on where you are in your vocab learning, or Tsurukame iOS App is a really good review application, even better than the website for me.

3 Likes

Thank’s for explaining that! I wasn’t 100% what it meant since I just started using this site. Would you happen to know if they are still collecting stats?

1 Like

If you were tying to use WK stats, there was a V1 API (this one that is being sunset) and a V2 API. The codes prominently on your API Key page are V2 keys, so if you’d tried those on wkstats, it would have given you an error.

If you try that key on the new V2 wkstats site, it should work.

No problem ^-^

Yes, the Version 2 API key you can find on your API Key page has all the same functions as the old key in terms of states, just with more up to date code :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks nakama ! I get this, but I don’t get how to use it. I remember a website asking me for my API number. could never find it. But anyways I’ll do check the websites your recommanded. I’m also on Bunpro which is hard, but very good to keep up. If you don’t know it, you should definitly try :wink:

If you go to this page, you’ll find your API key at the bottom of the page.

You’ll generally want the default read-only token, but for any application (like Tsurukame) that lets you do reviews or lessons, it will need you to click Generate a new token to make one that has all the permissions needed, like this:

Any site or service that asks for an API key will want one from that page, be it the read-only one or a new one you create. Provided the site has been updated for the version 2 API, they’ll work with one of those.

3 Likes

The API is dead! Long live the API!

9 Likes