WaniKani - How to APi Token? Beginners Guide (WK Stats)

:sunglasses: Hi WaniKani Community. Should one leave all boxes unchecked as default when creating an API token, or is there anything box you need to check for using in WaniKani Statistics? Also, is a third-party app safe with WaniKani - like it won’t create any problems with your WaniKani on the site?

WK Stats - Site
WK Stats - Community Topic
Thanks, @rfindley for creating WK Stats (WaniKani Stats)

2 Likes

For WK Stats you only need read privileges, so all boxes unticked. For other scripts and sites (e.g. Flaming Durtles), they need write privileges.

3 Likes

Reorder doesn’t need any API key

3 Likes

Ah yes, it’s been a while since I used it.

3 Likes

Apps with write permission could potentially accidentally (or maliciously) mess things up, but I wouldn’t really consider it a concern. To keep safe though give all applications that you don’t need submitting reviews or lessons for you a read-only token. Mobile apps, for example, require the write permission as they submit the reviews you do directly to the WK API

2 Likes

@plantron Thanks for sharing and for helping out the community here on WaniKani. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::pray:

2 Likes

@Kumirei Thanks for your answer. When you mention “mess things up,” can a third-party app, for example, reset your Wani Kani level to 1, or delete your account or create glitches, problems or issues on your account? WK stats sound like a legit and safe one, though. What’s your thoughts? :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh no, I don’t think you can reset anything through the API. The worst that can happen is that settings are changed and items are deliberately answered incorrectly. Well, notes and synonyms can be deleted, but that’s it.

Yes, WK Stats is perfectly safe. Rfindley is a good black cat. I’m just talking about what is generally possible if there were bad actors. So far I haven’t seen anyone do anything wrong with the API

2 Likes

@Kumirei :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :pray: Thanks, great to hear that. It is really helpful to learn from the WaniKani community.

1 Like

@plantron & @Kumirei - Is there any other WK 3rd party app that you would recommend? So far, WK stats are among the most famous/beneficial ones, especially with the charts to Japanese specific stats.

1 Like

I can recommend Ultimate Timeline to get detailed overview of your future reviews.

2 Likes

@plantron Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like rfindley is a great creator for 3rd party WK. :+1:

2 Likes

Take your pick from this thread

My most popular scripts are the heatmap and progress percentages

2 Likes

@Kumirei, thanks for the links and excellent suggestions. I got my API and logged into WK Stats. I like that WaniKani Statistic has a site where you can view stats that don’t change your WaniKani look. :wink:

2 Likes