WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Cool. Sorry about that. I guess I thought there were more non-audio additions in my lessons. Please disregard. :smiley:

1 Like

Can I suggest adding 市場 at some point in the future, or some other word involving the いち reading for 市. It seems to me to be common enough to learn on Wanikani (often trips me up when I encounter words that use that reading).

7 Likes

Just want to say I love that you guys are adding stuff. I hope you guys continue to do this til at least all of the JLPT 1 Kanji are covered as when I am reading manga like Deathnote and Demonslayer I still come across quite a few kanji that are not apart of WK. Albeit not many, but I love how Wanikani helps solidify kanji into my brain and it’s harder to memorize kanji from reading exposure alone. Thankyou for these new additions :heart:

3 Likes

いち is definitely a useful reading for 市! We’re actually planning to add 錦市場 to a much higher level, but we’ll look into adding something to teach the いち reading earlier on :smiley:

5 Likes

I suggest that (つな)がる、(そろ)う and their respective Kanjis get added in. :grin:

8 Likes

Agreed!

2 Likes

Just randomly commenting to say, nice to meet you Mr. Moxley :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Thought I’d drop by here after an easy title defence against Karl Anderson to get my Kanji down pat, I’d have to return to Japan to defend the IWGP US Championship eventually!

2 Likes

:+1: both of these seem to be N2.
i’ve encountered そろう as well and added it to my Anki deck.

Can I suggest adding “old people” and “elderly people” to the allow list for 老人(ろうじん)? @Mods

1 Like

+42 for inclusion of 繋ぐ and/or 繋がる - I really like those words, the idea of “connection”. And besides, those are essential words for hand-holding scenes in all romance manga/anime/VNs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! We’ll plan to add 繋がる, 繋ぐ, 揃う and 揃える in the future, and we’ve added “old people” and “elderly people” to the allow list for 老人 :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Though apparently both of these are usually written in kana. But i suppose they’re written in kanji in a lot of cases as well.

While reading VNs, I think I encountered both forms equally often.

3 Likes

the main front page still shows 6000 words and 2000 kanji

after these additions, what is the total now? isn’t it time to change the front page as well?

WaniKani currently has 484 radicals, 2063 kanji, and 6414 vocabulary words. I think they said they might remove some of the existing kanji after the new kanji are added, though. I would guess that it’s probably easier for them them to just give rough numbers on the homepage than to have to update it every time they change something.

4 Likes

please also add “ok boomer”

just kidding tho don’t do that… :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Now if 若造(わかぞう) was a word on WK, maybe “ok boomer” would work as a synonym. DDT wrestler Mao thinks it matches the vibe he’s going for with that team name:

(Mao designed this shirt for fun, but it was instantly so popular with DDT’s foreign fans, they made it available to buy internationally)

3 Likes

Wait isn’t 若造 like the opposite, used for young people? Goo has:

若者や未熟者をあざけっていう語

Speaking of which, 嘲 would be a good addition to WK. It’s even jouyou

1 Like

Yes, 若造 is youngster. I guess a youngster would say “OK Boomer”. And it’s just a trendy phrase you want to put on a shirt. But i was also confused by this.
Wait, maybe this is a dialogue? An old person says “youngster”, the young person responds “Ok Boomer”. That would make sense.

1 Like