WaniKani Content Additions: Ongoing from April 29, 2021

Wait what now?

1 Like
4 Likes

Unfortunately, I think @TofuguJenny mentioned that they weren’t able to make content changes for individual users.

1 Like

For 抛いっぱい, even though “As Hard As One Can” is one of the listed alternate accepted meanings, the review result always says “Your answer was a little off
”. The answer is still treated as correct though, so maybe I’m just nitpicking. The other two meanings (“Full Power”, “With All One’s Strength”) work just fine.

I’d argue as well that the number of users that find an extra six lessons an inconvenience is probably less than 0.1% of all users, so it’s very reasonable for them not to allow any kind of out opting.

The same thing happens if they reorder items and move an item down from a level above you to a level below you and I’ve not seen anyone complain in that instance.

4 Likes

Okay. Take a step back. I think the pandemic and all this self-isolation is really getting to folks. Everyone seems to be so incredibly hypersensitive and cancel culture is the direct result of that. Get mad, at anyone, at anything, at the first opportunity when normally you’d just ignore it. Anyone who posts a topic “Hump Day” should know that it’s really about keeping things light and fun. I said nothing that is not PG-13. Period. In fact, I’m seeing a post I made back in January re-posted on here. I had to actually leave the Bunpro site because so many haters were screaming that passing the JLPN1 is nearly impossible. They even trolled me on other social media sites. It was insane.

And here I am
with another 10 Levels of WaniKani under my belt, finished the first two units of Rosetta Stone, and ready for the JLPN3 at precisely the time I said I would. The amount of material covered in WaniKani for the JLPN1 drops off dramatically following Level 40, but I’ve prepared myself for this and I will stay the course, no thanks to any of you.

4 Likes

Sorry if I had any part in that. I didn’t mean to make you feel like you weren’t unwelcome.

Jeez really? That’s insane.

I am genuinely impressed. I know I wouldn’t have been able to achieve something like that.

3 Likes

I really miss the weekly roller disco, thanks for rubbing it in! Granted, I’ve been missing it since my son was born, not since lock down.

4 Likes

Aye, I completely agree.

Plus, at least for me, the additions are all things I already know so I don’t even count them as extra items. I just skip the lessons and read them normally as the reviews come up.

The “unfortunately” part was for @skatefriday :wink:

1 Like

I see you deleted, but I think you’ll be glad to know that they’re actually working on this

1 Like

Hi All.
For the vocab 抛いっぱい I always write as meaning “as hard as one can”, which is listed in the meanings, but it is always marked as “your answer was a bit off”. I also tried using capital letters (As Hard As One Can), but the output is the same.
Does anyone else have the same bug?

I remember someone mentioning that in this thread (but it got lost quickly in the rest of the discussion), so I don’t think it’s just you!

1 Like

Oooops, I must have missed that. Thanks!

1 Like

No problem. It was easily missed, so the extra highlighting (and independent replication of the problem) is good anyway!

1 Like

Where are the rest of my burninators who now have to find our notebooks

:two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out about 抛いっぱい @iManiac and @RobertaB! I’m not sure why that’s happening. I thought perhaps I’d accidentally inputted a blank space at the end, or that for some reason we were prioritizing the allow list, which includes “as hard as you can” but it’s neither of those :thinking: I’ll investigate further! :female_detective:

10 Likes

Sorry I missed your comment last week @skatefriday, and really sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling. I’m sending you good vibes, and wanted to let you know that you’re not alone in finding the workload challenging at this stage of WaniKani.

As a couple of others have already pointed out, unfortunately it’s not possible to opt out of individual items, but I wanted to throw in that it is absolutely fine to do no lessons for a few weeks (or months) and simply concentrate on your reviews if you’re finding yourself overloaded. Please also feel free to email us (hello@wanikani.com) if you want to talk through your specific situation more!

11 Likes

I just had a couple of issues with my last review session. When i input “stocks” for æ Ș(かぶ) my answer was accepted, but then I was made to retype it a couple of times until I wrote just “stock.” Is this part of the update? I don’t recall it happening before and I haven’t installed any new scripts.

Also, when I saw the vocab for è–Ź(くすり), I accidently answered やく and was marked wrong, as I should be. However when it came back up again later (many items in between) and I correctly wrote くすり this time, it marked it as burned this time. It shouldn’t have been though. Could this be a new feature acting up?

1 Like

Waiting for パăƒȘピ to be added as vocab. Best thing I learned while abroad :sob:

1 Like

Hi @DIO-Strawberry,

Thanks for pointing these out! The first issue you described should now be fixed.

I don’t think we’ve come across the second issue before. I wonder if it could be a previously-installed script interacting with the recent extension of the shake animation for single-kanji vocab.

Is DIO-Strawberry also your WaniKani username? We’ll check what was logged as your progress in the database.

2 Likes