Using arimasu and desu in sentences with na adjectives

Sorry for the stupid question but I’m very curious about this
In sentence [このビールはとても人気があります] What arimasu are doing in this sentence, Does it doing the same as desu at the end, or it pointing the existence of this beer or maybe has some other roles?

1 Like

人気 basically means “popularity.” It’s a noun. So 人気がある means “has popularity.” This sounds awkward in English, but it’s just how the Japanese happens to be structured. When translating for natural English, you’ll hear it phrased as “popular,” which is an adjective.

So that’s why you can say 人気がある.

You can also say 人気です.

In my experience, if you are using it to modify something, 人気がある (or 人気のある) is most common.

人気のあるビール

Let me know if you still have questions about it.

10 Likes

Thank you, it’s enough, but the last sentence, 人気のあるビール looks very strange to me, why aru is before beer?

It’s a relative clause. You can modify nouns in Japanese with things other than just adjectives. You can take a whole sentence that ends with a verb and stick a noun to it to modify the noun.

人気のあるビール is how you would say “A/The popular beer” in Japanese. The literal relative clause form of it in English would be “The beer that has popularity.” We use words like “that”, “which” and “who” to form relative clauses in English. In Japanese they just attach right on.

8 Likes

Alright, I’m going to read about relative clause, thank you one more time

2 Likes

Think about it like “a beer that has popularity”. That’s basically the literal translation (except, obviously, for word order).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.