[Userscript] Wanikani Item Inspector

giphy

I’m sure you won’t get ahead of yourself, just be you and do what you’re best at: finding solutions, getting inspired, and knowing the greatness of wine! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the awesome script! :heart:

I noticed that (at least on my end) some of the icons in the control bar are not showing up correctly. Wanikani seems to have moved to a newer version of FontAwesome and some icons have different unicode values which leads to conflicts with the different versions. The easiest way to fix this would be to remove the font-family: Font Awesome; property on line 376 in WaniKani Item Inspector.user.js. This changes how the control bar looks, as newer icons are a bit different with different weights, but at least personally I think it looks a bit better.

Before:

After:

3 Likes

Version 1.23.1 is available - Please download it at the link in the top post.

This implements the change proposed by @Maindi concerning the icons in the control bar.

3 Likes

trying to export a table and running into this… assuming it’s because of all the stupid wk ui changes ugh… any thoughts?

1 Like

Item Inspector is a dashboard script. It should not be affected by the UI changes because they are specific to reviews, lessons and extra study panels. The problem is elsewhere.

I am unable to reproduce your problem. Everything seems ok on my end. I will need a screen shot of your export and filters settings to go further.

1 Like

thanks…I’m working I’ll get back to you…see if I can narrow it down later tonight :slight_smile:

not sure what it is but was able to narrow it down and replicate with this:

setting the use of quotes to always or only … would trigger that error… If I say never use quotes …works fine…

hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. This is useful information. I will investigate when I have the time.

1 Like

not really a problem was able to export w/o quotes so nothing urgent… probably just one of those things that someone hasn’t used much :wink:

1 Like

Version 1.23.2 is available - Please download from the link in the top post

Fixes the bug reported by @shuly and another one I discovered while testing.

3 Likes

Version 1.24.0 is available - Please download from the link in the top post

Adds support for kana only vocabulary.

2 Likes

@prouleau
Thank you for your excellent script. I’m using it to output to spreadsheets and then into custom Anki decks to tidy up after finishing L60.

Please tell me if you have a way of accepting compensation for your fine work.

One of my other favourite scripts is Keisei Phonetic-Semantic Composition.

:star: Is there some way to get the valuable info from that script into one of the Export Columns of your script? :star:

Same goes for the excellent Kanji Search script:

Both of these would be very good to have in the exported CSVs.

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you find Item Inspector useful. I make this script out of passion and there is no way to compensate be other than saying good words about my script.

I will consider if there is a way to export the Keisei data to csv. This will require some coding because there is currently no export feature for Keisei data. I make no promise at this point.

I will not export Kanji Search data because this data is not accessed by Item Inspector and I don’t plan to expand Item Inspector in this direction. Your best chance is by asking Kanji Search author if they would provide an export function to their site.

2 Likes

Please clarify what information is valuable to you.

I have looked at this export from many angles and there is no way to completely export the Keisei information without adding so much complexity to the export function that it will make the code unmaintainable. I am not interested in doing this.

But if I limit the export to the most relevant information I may be able to reduce the complexity to a manageable level. For this I need guidance on what information is useful and what is superfluous.

2 Likes

I confuse Kanji that are similar in 1) meaning 2) appearance and/or 3) reading.
I’m increasing the context on my Anki cards to include whichever of 1, 2, 3 I’m having trouble keeping separate.
My dream Anki cards look something like this:
Front:
Kanji: 差
音 Use: 差別
訓 Use: 交差点
例文: 人を指差すのは失礼だよ。
団: 左, 佐, 着

Back:
Definition: Distinction (difference, discrepancy, variation)
音:さ
訓:さ
Mnemonic: Sheep Erection bent Left is Distinction of Saskatchewan
音 Use: さべつ Discrimination
訓 Use: こうさてん Intersection
例文: It’s rude to point at people.
団: さ Left; さ Help; チャク, き, つ Wear, Arrive
L24

In my Group 団:
Phonetic-Semantic Composition provides
左 さ Left, 佐 さ Help, 差 さ Distinction
kanjisearch provides
着 (チャク、き, つ) Wear, Arrive

Obv there’s a lot of fussing with arranging the data, so it would be great to automate as much of this as possible.
I’m grateful for your taking the time to look into this. I also understand if it’s just too much work.

Thanks for your understanding. After careful examination I can’t figure out a sane way to make this export work in Item Inspector.

2 Likes

I appreciate your taking the time to consider it.
Thanks again for your work on Item Inspector.

2 Likes

@prouleau As I’ve now started getting burn-reviews to my review pile, which also means I’ve failed some of them. I was thinking about how to address that.

But, since my pile of leeches remains <10 at the moment of almost reaching lv 30, I realize that I might need to look at the long-term retrieval factor of memorization more than the usual signature of a leech. I wanna single out the low level fails from the high SRS level fails so to speak. I think, that failing reviews between Master-Enlightened and Enlightened-Burn, are just indicative of some lack in how you’ve memorized the item long-term, that warrants more concern for me on my second run of WK. :thinking:

Could it be possible to get a filter that lets me review “Recently failed items from Enlightened/Master/Guru” as that would be awesome! :star_struck: And let me do even more narrow quizzes for the few items that I do need to cram in a more intensity setting, as I’ve probably done all I can in making my own mnemonics and finding other paths for memorization already. I’m a bit stumped, not going lie for some of these items.

The Wanikani API doesn’t provide a way to filter by the last SRS stage. The closest I can propose you is this.

The logic is if you failed the last review and the item is in one of the four selected SRS stages then the last stage must be one of guru, master or enlightened.

1 Like

well, it can’t be enlightened (just a rare mistake for you! :slight_smile: ), I’m just no longer sure I immediately read that sentence alright and what you meant! XD)
but yeah, the failed stuff will end up recently. And by trying to think to do this review session I imagined, Immediately upon making the mistake, I would catch them for sure in this filter.

While the scripts might not make it the entire way, the biggest factor I feel for this sort of thing is “immediacy” - I realize I’ve failed a burn review, so I need to review it now before that realization is lost. So, that means, I will have to make a more conscious effort of reviewing the last items and quickly to make better gains on my progress on them.

It’s not only on you to make this work, but also me!

Thanks for the quick reply as usual, I’ll be trying out my new reviewing regime and see if I can make my idea of how to review using the current functions effective, also work for me! I’ll let you know, once I have enough data.

(I don’t have that large amount of items I fail this second time, so, it will likely stretch out over time, I suspect. Just to let you know. :slight_smile: )

Thanks as always for your help in my personal studying!

I wish you the best this weekend and after! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like