Typing words with double n

Hi, I just started WK a few days ago after already doing a lot of grammar and vocabulary through other sources.

When I type in Hiragana on my computer (Mac) by setting the keyboard input to Japanese, the word おんあ is typed by pressing o-n-n-a.

On WaniKani, that produces おんあ. To get おんな, I need to type o-n-n-n-a.

From what I understand this has something to do with how Japanese input works on Windows? But is there any way to change it to make it consistent with how it works on Mac? The last thread about this seems to be two years old so maybe it’s possible now to change this behaviour?

1 Like

I dont’ understand the problem, onna is おんあ and onnna is おんな

3 Likes

Isn’t this the same? :thinking:

I guess there could be a timing check to see if the n has been there for long enough by itself, then you mean an ん, not n + something else.

3 Likes

Never mind, it seems like I’ve been relying on auto correct on my computer all along and it has been allowing me to mistype words and still get what I want. Any way to delete this topic?

11 Likes

You juste have to type ‘n’ 2 times because of the ‘n’ hiragana line, so technically, you have to type o-n-n-n-a to get おんな (indeed on Windows I need to type ‘n’ 2 times)

It’s a common enough issue that it’s probably good for others to see it.

2 Likes

ん is kind of special in Japanese because it is the only consonant that isn’t followed by a vowel. If you type n-C, where C is any consonant, then you will automatically get ん since all other kana beginning with the /n/ sound end with a vowel and can’t have a consonant following them.

I’m so used to typing n-n for ん so quickly though that I don’t usually think to use the above shortcut. Trying to switch will just mess me up because of how I think about the language as it relates to my keyboard.

except you get んC when you type n-C.
I’d love if you could type ん without double tapping n, because to a fast typer hitting the same key twice is one of the slowest and most tiring two presses.
This is of course only necessary when the ん is followed by a vowel or a syllable starting with n, otherwise you can indeed type n plus the next consonant, but it happens often enough.

1 Like

“Where C is any consonant found in Japanese” then! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, it does this for every consonant. It always appends the consonant you type to the ん.
In my image it’s ん + r, the bar is the typing cursor.

or, importantly, a syllable starting with ‘y’

yes, y is basically a vowel for all intents and purposes here, but it can easily be overlooked.

1 Like

Okay, the point I am trying to make is that if you type [n]+[consonant-found-in-Japanese]+[vowel-found-in-Japanese] the result will be ん+(whatever-kana-you-typed).

I was making the assumption that whatever consonant followed [n] that it would be part of the next kana, then resulting in [n] becoming ん as the typist continued typing.

ah, i see. yes, that’s why i wrote that the double tap is only necessary when you don’t follow with a vowel or another n-syllable. maybe you didn’t see my edit.

Type n’ - it’s a way of telling the IME that “yep, I want an ん and nothing else follows” without creating an extra character that needs to be dealt with.

2 Likes

actually, it depends on IME configuraton. e.g. it can be set like this:

and viola: onna is おんな.
to get before a vowel, one is to use xn or n' - so that’s pretty easy to have configured, and it is more ‘natural’, preventing ‘silly-double-n syndrome’.

maybe you didn’t see my edit.

We may be talking past each other. Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

How does it behave when you need to type かんえい (官営) ?
You type k-a-n-n-e-i and it becomes かんねい?

k-a-x-n-e-i
k-a-n-’-e-i

pretty much as it is expected for very famous words like on’yomi and kun’yomi.

I misread your post, you already covered it :ok_hand:
So now you need to care about what is following ん when you type it instead of always typing nn but I can see the benefit.
Different habits :slight_smile: