Keyboard Issue

Hey, quick question here that keeps messing me up if I’m not paying attention.

If I wanted to type おんな during reviews and I type: onna, I get おんあ. Is there a specific reason for this? I literally have to type onnna to get おんな. Since onnna doesn’t actually match the hiragana used in おんな it makes me a little confused. I’m an absolute beginner so I’m not completely used to typing hiragana yet and I’ve made this mistake a couple of times. Guessing this is just how the keyboard works when it converts romaji to hiragana.

1 Like

That’s exactly right! The computer can’t tell whether you just want a straight n (ん) or are about to type a vowel after it wanting it to join n+a (な) versus having it separate as んあ. To account for this it makes you type n twice to get ん midword.

5 Likes

This is also a standard feature of all IMEs (how you type in Japanese). It’s not just a quirk of WaniKani. Since other characters in the "n” row would be impossible to type if ん took a single input to create. Any time you tried to type な or に or の, an ん would pop up and be done with.

6 Likes

Teach yourself always type double n (“nn”) for single kana ん, examples kanji 人 - にん - type it as “ninn”.
Soon it’s be automatic, and you start doing it in English as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to do this, but sometimes I find that the IME can’t keep up with the input if you type really fast. Lately I’ve been learning to just use double-n before vowels and single-n everywhere else. More work but it let’s you go faster. :slight_smile:

An alternate option besides double-n is n+apostrophe. While it does involve moving to a different key, some people prefer it, because they find that trying to type “nnn” breaks the typing flow more than typing “n’n”.

1 Like