Typing an 'n' kana followed by a 'n*' kana

So I’m fairly ok with some of my kanji readings, but my 三人 reading is artificially deflated (30% instead of 100%, to the point of critical condition) by the fact that when I type sannin it gets entered as さんいん. I’d like the option of a toggle so that typing an n after an n would result in んn, rather than just

1 Like

nn = ん in every IME I have seen. It would make no sense for WK to do it differently

also how would you type さにん and さんいん?

11 Likes

Hey Starwort, welcome to the community!

For your concern, I don’t quite understand - that’s what it does? It you press ‘n’ twice, you’ll get ん, and the さんにん answer is correct.

1 Like

I mean there’s a point to be made there, but I still feel the option would be nice. And sanin - sa followed by ni followed by n

Yes, but you must press n 3 times to get さんにん (sannnin with the autocompletion)
Btw thanks for the welcome

Oh I see, in that case it’s just a matter of getting used to the way the inputs work. The double n thing is a bit weird in the beginning, but it’s probably the most elegant way of changing romanji to kana. Slowing down a tad while doing reviews would probably be the most helpful thing.

This seems fair. Also I copied the result wrong in my original post, hence the misunderstanding, haha! I meant to put さんいん in the first post but I copied the correct answer instead

2 Likes

If you don’t like the double nn, uou can also hit SPACE after one n to get ん

2 Likes

You may end up getting too used to it and start typing words like ‘connection’ as ‘connnection’, like I have done a few times.

6 Likes

Just hold “n” down for a few seconds and you’ll be fine.
さんんんんんんんんんにん

edit: Woops, accidentally replied to you, Pattoe. My bad. lol

1 Like

Hi starwort :slight_smile:

I have also encountered this a lot, but am getting better at typing the two n’s instead of just the one. I try to type a double n every time now, even when it’s not needed i.e. when the input would accept just one ‘n’ being typed like for さん ().

I got おんな () wrong so many times, having typed おんあ instead.

I don’t think your suggestion would work that typing one ‘n’ only would become ん, the input wouldn’t know if you were typing ん、な、に、ぬ、ね or の. It needs the double ‘nn’ to understand exactly which character you are trying to use.

2 Likes

You can also type n’ to get ん.

ん requires two keystrokes because if it did not, then typing some words would become ambiguous. For example, is “sanin” さんいん or さにん? Is “sanya” さんや or さにゃ? Requiring you to explicitly designate an ん removes that ambiguity - and yes, perhaps it also requires that you write “sannnin” or “san’nin”, but it’s better than the alternative.

4 Likes

Tbh this is the best explanation of why this feature exists in this form that I’ve seen. It also provides a more comfortable alternative than default. I may just start using a proper hiragana keyboard, though.

2 Likes

This is really cool. Going to have to give this a shot since I’m a fast typer but multiple key presses on the same key really slows me down.

3 Likes

You can, but be aware that very few native speakers use kana-entry on physical keyboards - romaji-entry is more common.

1 Like

In my experience it is much easier to do the double or triple n press than to go n’. And I’m not exactly a slow typer either (80-90 WPM). It’s probably because I rarely actually press ’ using my pinky like I should (I use my ring for some reason), because i don’t usually put ’ when I don’t need to… I say, as I type it’s and don’t twice in the same sentence lol. It’s definitely a weird feeling to press a key twice and get 1 symbol, but I’ve adjusted to it.

I honestly think the hardest part of typing japanese is when you have to go back to a same vowel multiple times… like 若々しい or 右利き. There’s another example that I never fail to go to another vowel for but I can’t remember it.

弱々しい? haha
I was going to say, "Makes me wonder if DVORAK would be better for physical keyboard typing. :thinking: " but after checking it out, typing things like きき would be done entirely with one finger and holy crap that would suck.

Funnnny related story here. I have started doinng double "nn"s whenn I type in Ennglish too. It has just become ann automatic thinng for me. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.