Typing words with double n

It takes some time for your brain to adjust from typing letters of the alphabet to typing kana.

When you type letters, one keyboard stroke (one time you push a button) produces one symbol. When you type kana, two strokes produce one symbol. Except when it’s ‘n’, because the IME waits for the next symbol. If the next symbol is either ‘a’, ‘i’, ‘u’, ‘e’, or ‘o’, then it becomes a kana. Otherwise it becomes an ん.

So now you get accustomed to typing kana (two strokes = one symbol except when it’s n), then you have to adjust again when using backspace. Just because it takes you two strokes to type か, doesn’t mean you have to push backspace twice. In fact if you do, you’ll also erase the symbol before か.

A bit frustrating at first, but probably still a lot less frustrating than learning a whole new keyboard layout (the Japanese kana layout), which very few people use.

If the next letter is a y, it still waits to see what comes next. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

cool thanks, xn is decent. but you still can’t configure WK’s IME input (Wanakana), right?
’ is not a top level key in the german keyboard layout unfortunately.

i’d actually prefer learning the japanese kana keyboard layout which has a single key for ん.
but it’s not really worth learning for most people, it also has extra keypresses for things like が (ka + dakuten). Also, it doesn’t work well on Windows.

Also, most Japanese people don’t use it.

yeah, but i think that’s more out of convenience, because otherwise they’d have to learn two keyboard layouts. i do suspect the kana layout is ever so slightly superior for kana input, though i’ve only used it shortly.

yes, it is necessary to track what is typed in, but in most cases it is done without thinking, just as spaces are put in writing any western language.

personally, web-interface is not in use (in favor of Android app), so there is no experience, but technically:
wanikani’s web-interface should accept kana input for readings from the system’s IME, and any layout can be configured there. also, n' combination can be replaced with any other symbol, which is not actively in use for kana input, and which does not hinder IME itself.

on Android, that apostrophe ' is to be entered with pressing and holding some button for some time, so it is even less useful than typing nn. but since it is separate device with its own requirements and characteristics, it does not affect typing text on PC/laptop.

unless you have it ingrained (on keys, or in memory…),

this is quite a task. for example there is such keyboard image of a laptop for Japanese market:

noticeably, it is not compatible with german layout, so it might be much better to switch your system keyboard to international with compose keys… though, Windows may disagree with this suggestion. :woman_shrugging::man_shrugging:

ideal solution is to enable handwriting, and actually write kana, but… this will increase review time considerably,

1 Like

I only usually type n-n if there’s a n + vowel sound (e.g. しんおん), or if there’s a double n sound (as in おんな). However, I’ve still found that this habit has transferred over to typing in English; I frequently find myself typing stuff like ‘mann’ and ‘runnning’. :expressionless::expressionless::neutral_face:

1 Like

OP here - if someone finds this thread in the future, here’s the example that finally made it click / helped me understand why it is the way it is.
千円 (せんえん) - if ん was just one key press, there would be no way for the IME to know if you’re trying to write せねん or せんえん. Because both would be s-e-n-e-n.

Instead…
s-e-n-e-n-n = せねん
s-e-n-n-e-n-n = せんえん
s-e-n-n-n-e-n-n= せんねん

Hope this helps someone who is new and confused by this stuff :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.