Typing Readings

Hi everyone.I am new to this site and forum, hope everyone is ok. When I am doing reviews and get asked questions about the readings for a particular kanji, I keep getting certain questions wrong even though I know the answer because for some reason wanikani is not recognising readings with yo or u hiragana characters. The only way I can progress is by copying and pasting the exact same answer I have tried to type( but from the wanikani answer) ? Can anyone help me and explain what is going on ? Many thanks

You’re probably mistyping the contractions. にゅ (nyu) is different from にゆ (niyu), for example. Read this.

Also, welcome!

Sorry for not having an elaborate Personalised Welcome PostTM, but @VanillaButt will soon come to your rescue.

2 Likes

starcowelcome

Welcome @tomu1967!

Make sure to read the FAQ and the Guide, there is a lot of good info in these for new users. If you’re looking for further resources check out the community compiled list of resources. For extra features and fixes for those small things which keep bugging you consult The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps.

I hope you’ll have a good time here with us and am looking forward to seeing you around!

3 Likes

Hey, @tomu1967 ! :sparkles:

Wasn’t @rodrigowaick just absolutely helpful? Let is know if you run into any more problems!

Welcome! In this realm, you will find life forms that seek to reach the point beyond kanji enlightenment (The Burning of Turtles). Worshippers of the Crabigator come in all forms - lovely humans, mythical creatures, the brightest and most colorful fruits, vegetables to feed your soul, a poll option you should always choose… and even bittersweet chocolate disguised as めっちゃウザイ little pods.

Now, here’s what you need to know:

1. The WaniKani FAQ which gives you the 101 on
    a) Before You Join
    b) Common First-Level Problems
    c) The Basics
    d) Learning Method
    e) Account
    f) Sect Names Other :durtle_officer::durtle_stabby::durtle_officer:

2. The WaniKani Guide (…also known as “how I learned to learn ~2,000 kanji.”)

3. The Unofficial FAQ that further addresses specific questions on how lessons and reviews work.

4. The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List! which is a long and thorough list of Japanese resources that the community has worked hard to gather together and is consistently being updated.

5. The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps that enhances your learning experience with WaniKani.

6. WK Stats to check your accuracy, progress, projections and more.

7. And finally, the Community Guidelines that will help you better interact with all of us.

See you around! If you have any questions, just ask. We don’t bite much. :sparkles:

Many thanks for the replies and messages of welcome. They have helped me to some degree, in that I can see what the problem actually is. However, I do not have a Japanese keyboard (as the enclosed guide from rodrigowaick states) , nor any means of installing one. The problem seems to be that I need to know how to type the small yo and yu characters on a Romaji keyboard.

Many thanks again

1 Like

Put an “x” in front of yo and yu. The IME will pick that up and you’ll see it come out smaller.

1 Like

You don’t need to type them by themselves; use the contractions. きゅう = kyuu, not kixyuu

2 Likes

You don’t have to, but you can. I can’t remember the contractions well, but I can type smaller.

but… the contractions are just the sounds they make, it’s so much simpler

11 Likes

:thinking: I guess I should probably start switching to that method, then.

1 Like

Again, thanks for getting back to me. I don’t think the contractions will work if there is not some kind of Japanese keyboard installed. If I am wrong, I am happy to hear how this can be done without that keyboard. So in the meantime, I will try hakusaro’s tip on my next review, arigatou gozaimasu everyone.

It works just fine on WK

2018-05-30_22-18-45

9 Likes

WK is designed so you need nothing but an English keyboard. It looks at what you type every time, and if possible converts your romaji letters into hiragana. No Japanese keyboard required.

10 Likes

Yes, it’s probably better to use the English keyboard than a Japanese one for Wanikani (because then you won’t cheat and preview the kanji to see if you were right before submitting enter).

@tomu1967, just type the letters like it’s written on the chart. ちゅう is just “chuu” (or “tyuu” if you prefer). きょう is just “kyou”.

Protip: You can write ち as “ti” instead of “chi” and し as “si” instead of “shi”.

3 Likes

and つ as “tu”.

sorry, I had to

4 Likes

WaniKani will convert your input to hiragana automatically, so you can burn turtles from any device without having to install anything.

Just type nyuu that you wil get にゅう.

Good turtle-burning image

2 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone but the typing x tip is the only one that seems to work for me.

That’s weird. WK’s built in IME should work the same on any keyboard. I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that it’s weird.

What happens when you type “jyou” for example? Do you not get じょう (上)? What do you get? Also, if you paste “jyou” into the input field, it should automatically convert to hiragana じょう. Does that work?

(I know there can be a long wait between reviews and the kanji you’re reviewing may not be 上, but try it as an example without pressing the Enter key. )

1 Like

That really shouldn’t happen, WK is supposed to handle the conversion. Have you tried using a different browser, or mobile? At least with the x you can get your review correctly, glad that worked.

You forgot "du” and “di”.

2 Likes

Don’t think I’ve seen a ぢ yet (have I?). 楽しみ。