Typing n's in a phrase like 何年

Just note that it might not work in all IMEs or operation systems! (I don’t think Mac does one of them, either the xu or lu … can’t remember which.)

I usually double type the ‘n’.

But I still forget if I’m speeding through reviews and get a few wrong just because It came up like nanyen instead of nannen. Yikes.

WK want me to speak in Cat!Japanese apparently.

1 Like

A Nyango Star mode would be pretty sweet. Type everything like you’re a cat!

1 Like

I always type ‘nn’ when I want to write ん. I think it’s better to have the habit of writing nn for ん all the time because you will find it being pulled from the following syllable very often if you are only typing nn when you are actively thinking about it. You can also do n’ which works the same.

I don’t do n + enter. It can work but disrupts the flow of typing to me and might accidentally cause a form to submit.

Also, when you type in IME instead of wanikani you hit spacebar after a word to pull put a kanji list. For 何年 it doesn’t really matter because those kanji will come up first anyway, but on other words you will spend less time scrolling through kanji to pick the right word if you type the whole word before hitting spacebar. But even on nan’nen it’s still half the time to type and look up once instead of once on each kanji. You can use the spacebar to look up a full word instead of individual kanji with either nn or n’ but not n+enter.

I’m just now dealing with those effects, was not expecting.
Luckily it only happens when im typing too fast.

3 Likes

Wall of text warning: I don’t know if I’m going to get hate or not, but I type as efficiently as I can by going STRICTLY by the patterns that you can see in the normal Hiragana chart.

I’m the type that does “tu” for つ, “si” for し and “ti” for ち. (ぢ and づ become a lot easier then, huh?)

I prefer to keep my typing 1-to-1, therefore I also do the following:
sya syu syo = しゃしゅしょ
tya tyu tyo = ちゃちゅちょ
jya jyu jyo = じゃじゅじょ
(Yeah the last section is a weird set, but zya zyu zyo are the worst things to type.)

And finally, what I believe to be the answer to everyone’s problems:
n’ = ん

Maybe my other habits are quirky and you can probably ignore them, but using n’ is very helpful. I completely recommend it. I do it 100% of the time with very little error (Keeping in mind that I’m a typing freak and I have practiced it for a little bit of time now. One of the reasons I did this was because of the fact that typing the same key twice is probably the slowest thing you can do when typing anything, second slowest being using the same finger, and third slowest using the same hand.)

何年= nan’nen’
こんにちは、皆!=kon’nitiha, min’na!

It definitely looks stupid spelled out, but it’s all about muscle memory. I also believe that it helps intertwine the Japanese phonetic system mentally into your brain. When typing normal romaji for people, though, I do make sure to keep in mind to write tsu and shi to be more clear, but typing romaji for people to actually see isn’t exactly a skill that needs to be mastered.

I would love to debate about my radical typing propaganda, but I do acknowledge how people have their own preferences. I aim for peak efficiency so if anybody can tell me what I can do better, then please do. Other than that, I personally want to create to create my own keyboard format, but I don’t have the power necessary to radicalize international typing standards. Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

I do that except for the jya jyu jyo row, because ja ju jo still saves keystrokes, and for me that’s worth the conceptual overhead.

But, on the whole, I agree. I started with just つ and then made the full switch once I started needing to type ぢ and づ, and it made the entire typing process a lot smoother. Sorry if you were really hoping for a debate :stuck_out_tongue:

This type of typing messes up my spellings in English.

I often find myself leaving memos with “Connnection” “Channnel” and “Antennna”

(Yeah, I work in Tech)

5 Likes

Actually I did have something like this happen as well.

For the longest time I couldn’t stop typing cat as “kat” and it was so annoying.

tekunaroji YEAH

1 Like

Who’s ready to paatexii?

Aye, I mentioned that possibility already. Only downside is having to go all the way over to the apostrophe key, when you were at the N key already. :stuck_out_tongue:

kyatto

pa-texi-

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.