Typing English on Single-Character Input

After getting the vocabulary item 金曜日, I nearly flipped my table as I kept spelling it wrong. Why? Because I keep typing “K-I-N-Y-O-U-B-I” on the keyboard instead of “K-I-N-N-Y-O-U-B-I”, so it spells きにょうび on the keyboard instead of きんようび.

This is because the input mode on there is very shortcut-friendly (and trust me, I abuse the heck out of those shortcuts). For example, typing “R-Y-O” will automatically give you りょう and typing “T-U” will give you つ. Furthermore, if you type “N” and do not proceed it with a “Y-I” or “Y-O” or “Y-U”, you’ll get ん. Double tapping “N” will force a ん character.

However, this last one causes me to think too much because I have to decide whether I actually need to double tap “n” on every ん character or not.

In the Japanese IME (on windows), there’s a beautiful thing called “kana” input (or “single character input” as some people call it), which maps every key to a single character theoretically making typing much faster. HOWEVER - you need to press Shift+Caps-Lock every time you want to switch between english and japanese.

Are there any user scripts that force english input on an english answer box? Are there any user scripts that change the japanese input from romaji to kana? Is there anything that would help speed up typing at all?

EDIT: Looking a bit more into it, it looks like the japanese input isn’t something local to the wanikani webpage, but is rather something ingrained into my web browser through a “lang” attribute in an HTML input tag… if there was a way to change language-based input preferences, that would probably do it. However, I’m not finding that on my browser :frowning:

(please don’t reccomend the anki input- please, I beg you - typing fast gives me precious adrenaline).

What you’re asking for is either:

1. for the web browser to be able to change your system settings, which is a terrible idea on many many levels. Thankfully I don’t think it’s possible.
  2. someone to implement kana input in a user script, which seems unlikely given it seems to have fallen out of favour, even in Japan. I couldn’t find one with a quick search.

I think you’re just going to have to live with the inefficiency of typing nn for ん.

2 Likes

You know the kana layout on your keyboard? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

I read it 3 times and I’m not getting it. Why is typing nn such an issue? Not even Japanese people use direct kana input.

6 Likes

BTW, if remembering when to double tap is difficult, always double tapping is a valid solution :wink:

9 Likes

Everybody uses this input method. You’ll get used to it

Is there at least a script that puts more of a pace in between the English meaning and Japanese pronunciation items? I can use a IME to get my kana input, but it sucks having to switch modes sometimes every other item.

Just so you know, this isn’t really a “shortcut”. tu is the native Japanese romanization of つ.

This is important to note, because some Japanese people will often switch between using Hepburn and a native-style romanization. My current Japanese teacher has a somewhat bad habit of being inconsistent in which type of romanization she will use. So sometimes she’ll romanize things with a mix of Hepburn (chi, tsu, etc.) mixed with other words using a native-style romanization (ti, tu, du, etc.).

3 Likes

After much failure and frustration, this is the strategy I’m going with. I, too, find it impossible to remember to press n twice unless I do it every time.

So, don’t remember. Build a habit, always press n twice, and soon it’ll be blissfully automatic.

2 Likes

And you’ll feel like you’re typing even more furiously :smiley:

What? No it doesn’t. Oh, it might come up in the list of auto-complete suggestions, but it’s sure not gonna work if you hit space to get kanji.

Or an あ- or な-line kana.

Though, for something that did turn out to be a shortcut: “THI” renders as てぃ, so it’s easier than typing “TEXI” or “TELI”. :smiley: I mean, that literally never comes up in WaniKani, but it’s nice to know for when you need it in the real world.

3 Likes

I think he’s talking about WK’s inbuilt IME, in which case it works like he’s describing

Wanikani will automatically change romaji to kana if it’s asking for a pronunciation. What are you asking for? What do you mean more of a “pace”? There are scripts that would allow you to only get the meanings first or only the readings first of your reviews (though they are a bit controversial), if that’s what you mean.

I most certainly hope not, because if so, it’d be literally impossible to give the correct answer for 遠慮.

3 Likes

No it won’t add the う, you need to type in r-y-o-u to get りょう, otherwise WK just gives you りょ

1 Like

I feel like there is a real lack of explanation of this to new learners. When I first learned kana I was always wondering why the heck there wasn’t a tu character and why was it randomly fu instead of hu. I think Hepburn romanization is great but it’s definitely confusing for people trying to learn pronunciation.

My daughter just got her first smartphone, and she happily types away using the direct kana keyboard and insists that she doesn’t want to change it. Drives me crazy watching her xD

The flick keyboard, I assume? Most Japanese use the flick keyboard on their phone, simply because the screen is so small.

Are you talking about the flick keyboard on smartphones? That’s different, people do use that.

Yeah the flick one, if that’s what you call it. Both my wife and I use the romaji input keyboards, so I can’t get used to the flicking.