ん Complain!

A little topic, just to pour out my frustration!
Is it a problem of mine or a common one to miss word readings due to ん being automatically attached to the following vowel?!?
I now this is how the IME usually works, but is always frustrating to speed through words you perfectly know and got them wrong because there is a vowel after the ん that transform in the composite stuff (な、に、ぬ、ね、の)
Thanks for the understanding :smiley:

2 Likes

Yup, I think everyone is annoyed by this, in the beginning at least. Personally, I got used to always type ん by pressing n twice regardless if it’s needed in the particular word. Still get it wrong sometimes though.

6 Likes

This. You can always use a script to cancel the “typos” as long as you honestly know the right answer. IME uses the same thing for ん so for those of you who want to be able to write in Japanese digitally, it is worth getting used to as soon as possible.

5 Likes

This is the most important part.

@ilsaggionauros Ignoring these kinds of typos is a bad idea because you’re training your brain to type Japanese incorrectly. Unfortunately, you just need to learn to type n twice to convert to ん immediately.

5 Likes

Sometimes I ennd up doing this in English.

19 Likes

I perfectly know how it works and i have no problem writing in Japanese in normal condition, is just annoying when I “lose” words I know because i miss-pressed N the second time (sometimes it happen also with っ) .
Thanks for the suggestions anyway :smiley:

I’ve gotten used to this and I know it’s necessary, but let me tell you, I’m glad I’ve burned 女 now. It’s very unnatural to type three ns in a row.

6 Likes

An option that you may consider is changing the input method in your IME. Google IME for example allows you the option to type a single key stroke kana.

It’s not used very often, but I thought I would mention it.

untitled

3 Likes

Although I was done with WK before I discovered it (or before it existed?), [Double Check] script lets you retype things instead of just marking them right or wrong. (or, rather, in addition to the option of marking them right or wrong).

[Standard disclaimer: only use for genuine typos!]

1 Like

Yeah, it’s annoying, but what gets me is a little different. It’s when the ん is followed by one of the な series characters, like おんな. Occasionally I’ll slip and only hit the n ket twice instead of thrice.

I also got used to typing double “n” whenever I know it’s a consonant. But I also always have my pinkie ready to hit ESC to ignore when I need to get reviews done quickly. If I know I made a typo, I don’t even check it, I just re-type. If I still get it wrong then I read.

Re-order script + ignore script + next item when correct script = time savers.

3 Likes

It’s something you definitely have to get used to! I haven’t gotten the ん wrong yet because I had to type out a lot of Japanese back in university. Practice makes perfect! You can do it!

Aaa I’ve definitely done this a lot. I’ll also get things wrong for doubling the n in the english meanings too sdfghjk It’s just one of those things you’ve gotta get used to, but I do “ignore” them when I get reviews wrong over something like that.

Sometimes I make typos, but then I do this magic thing where I actually look at what I’m typing, then I fix it. Judging by how consistent this complaint is, I must be some kind of super genius.

6 Likes

Please teach me Syphus先生!

Proofreading? Ain’t nobody got time fo’ dat.

Ya just gotta think of it like zombie killing- aways double tap!

I’m past being annoyed at the N dilemma. Nowadays I’m annoyed at mnemonics that are the same but spelt differently like toe = とお and とう or two = つう and つ. I’m also real angry at げつ versus がつ, especially cos in one review session I had 毎月 and 何月 and getting one wrong made me second guess the other.

1 Like

I just messed up on こんにちは a few minutes ago because I didn’t type 3 n’s in a row!

arrrrrrgh I’ve been typing in Japanese for like 3 years so I should know better by now. I just need to slow down and not get into the groove of typing my answer and hitting enter automatically without checking my work.

Ooo, and the number of times he uses the jo staff weapon as a mnemonic for じょ, even though the weapon’s actual name is じょう.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.