True necessity of user synonyms after a long break

(Not digging for sympathy with this, it’s just a matter of fact for my current study situation) After my father passed away last year I took a long, unexpected break from WK and completely forgot about the “vacation” functionality. Now that I’m back I have a lot of catching up to do but am faced with a new dilemma I hadn’t faced or considered previously.

I used “user synonyms” before in some instances where I had a solid definition already in mind before finding WK (20+ years of study before coming here), but now the necessity of them has become even more clear, as I’m now missing a lot of answers not because of getting the meaning incorrect but because the synonym I used wasn’t input. (This isn’t a humble brag, I’ve gotten some genuinely wrong as well)

When I used WK daily it was easy to keep WK’s preferred wording in mind and so for several words I hadn’t input any user sysnonyms for that reason, but now I’ve been gone long enough to where I retained the meaning but not WK’s exact preference.

So I guess what I’m saying is that I’ll likely have to add user synonyms a lot more often as a matter of course now… mentioning this for anyone else who plans to also take a long break, I didn’t anticipate this hurtle.

The forum seems to have changed a lot also since I left… I feel like this falls under the category of tips, so there we go, hope I did this right.

1 Like

An ignore script might help you out here, so you can say “yeah, I’m going to add that as a synonym” but still get it right.

2 Likes

I tried to go download it, actually… but I got a 404 error from the link on the forum post, then when I tried from another source it just gave me the script in plain text so I gave up.

Do you have tampermonkey addon installed?

1 Like

No… if it matters I’m using firefox on a mac, and the only add ons I have are adblocker and firebug. ^^;; Thank you for the help, btw.

I honestly don’t know if the mac portion makes a difference, but I don’t hink it does.

Here’s the firefox addon:

and here’s the override script again:

Let me know if you have any other issues getting it to work.

1 Like

it’s working perfectly now, thank you so much. Sincerely, thank you.

No problem. Glad to help. Now catch up on all those reviews! We’re rooting for you!

My condolences. Hope you have passed the overwhelming tsunami stage of grief and the waves and ripples that will continue to hit are unable to sink you as the support of your loved ones keeps you afloat. :heart_decoration:

Let the Crabigator be a positive distraction. Add those synonyms, as a learner with experience you definitely need to. Sometimes I am reluctant to recommend it to newbies who may not even know that they are missing some important nuance, but after you have been learning a while, you begin to understand where to accept WK as is and what needs adjusting/enhancing…
The Userscript that allows you to add synonyms during lessons is one of my faves.

I’m so sorry. I was off almost all of last year for the exact same reason, and also without activating vacation mode. It’s absolutely frustrating to input an answer that’s just a shade off from is acceptable while knowing you were thinking of the same meaning as the acceptable answer. I hope the ignore script helps you get back on track and you can get synonyms in that work for you going forward.

Since you have that script working I don’t have any actual advice I can offer, other than to say let yourself have time to get back into the groove if you’re just coming back now. It took me about a month to really get back into the swing of things when I came back in January. Welcome back.

2 Likes

Just encountered another kind of iffy issue… I just burned a word that even though I got it correct, I still feel like I should review a few more time. I put it on a list that I can keep incase there are more like this… but just, adding to these little issue I’m having that I never noticed before, because of the long break lol.

Have you thought about resurrecting it? Are you familiar with that?

2 Likes

Oh… I either forgot about that or it didn’t used to be a feature? I can rez one word if I want? Thank you for helping me get back into the swing of things, I really appreciate
it. :slight_smile:

No problem. Glad to help.

Yeah, if you go to the bottom of the item page it should have the option to ressurect it.

1 Like