Translation request

Hi there,
when I was in Japan last year I met someone and we exchanged LINE contacts. After an awkward back and forth of me attempting to write in japanese and her google translate english I proposed to her that she writes in japanese and I in english. That way we can express ourselves better and improve our reading skills. I’m still bad at reading japanese though to say nothing of grammar. So while I manage most of it through google and jisho I’m oftentimes still not sure if I got what she meant.
Long story short: Could you please help me translate the following sentence?:
δ»ŠεΉ΄γ‚‚ζ—₯本にζ₯γ‚Œγ‚‹γ‹γ‚‚γ—γ‚Œγͺγ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‹οΌŸ
Thank you in advance!

Edit: Is it: …that she writes in japanese and I in english.
or: …that she writes in japanese and me in english.

1 Like

δ»ŠεΉ΄γ‚‚ this year as well
ζ—₯本にζ₯γ‚Œγ‚‹ can come to Japan (a bit casual… β€œproper” grammar would be ζ₯γ‚‰γ‚Œγ‚‹)
γ‹γ‚‚γ—γ‚Œγͺい maybe
んですか for now really all you need to know is that this is a way of asking a question

Which leads us to the full sentence which is
β€œSo you might be able to come to Japan this year as well?”

9 Likes

Thank you very much! It looks so easy when it’s broken down into the correct parts, that was very much what I was looking for.

3 Likes

This one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aye, the trick to working out which is which is add back in omitted words and see if it still makes sense. The second half of β€œshe writes in japanese and me in english.” becomes β€œMe writes in English”, which is clearly incorrect.

4 Likes

Thanks, I was on that track aswell, but then i thought of " and me, I write in english" and got confused a bit. Happens when you learn mostly by listening not by actually learning (through a book or the like) i guess. You will sometimes get stretched to your limits when you just go by what β€œfeels” right :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.