Today's Japanese - Word-a-Day Alexa App

Hey all,

My husband and I made a lightweight word-a-day app for the Amazon Alexa. It gives you a different word every day from a pool of common nouns, adjectives, verbs, and expressions. We picked words that have immediate relational meaning to someone using it and is meant more to be a daily exercise in learning something new and building those sweet, sweet daily habits rather than an intense look at bulking up vocabulary.

Anyway, if you want to give it a shot and have an Alexa, you can check it out here

2 Likes

Neat! I might have to consider coming up with something similar for my Google Home Mini

1 Like

I think the language learning potential for a casual learner is super high on both the Alexa and the Google home. Iā€™m looking forward to see what other devs can come up with! We plan to release more languages in the future too so hopefully that will generate some interest.

Thanks, I installed it! TIL how to say ā€œgardenā€ in Japanese. :slight_smile:

Maybe I am still new at my Alexa Spot, but is there anyway you could also display the word on the screen as well?

In most apps, thereā€™s a default screen display but we actually disabled that on purpose for this app because we wanted to keep it as streamlined as humanly possible. (also we were a little concerned with hiragana/katakana display since the Amazon Alexa is pretty locked down for regional stuff and didnā€™t test much)

I would love that! Because Google homeā€™s Japanese voice is actually pretty good, Iā€™ve been asking it every day how to say a word in Japaneseā€¦ But I pick myself, and have to double check the answer it gives to make sure Iā€™m not getting something weird like orange the color versus the fruit. An app like this one would be so cool!!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.