I am currently working on a new app that should help making learning vocabulary easier. The motivation is that typing in custom vocab on the go on mobile and also with all the needed information is quite a pain with current solutions.
I started designing an app that should be only for Japanese and the learners for the language:
And all that as simple and easy to understand as possible so you don’t need to think about much using the interface:
So far, I implemented the creation of the vocab process which includes setting up one word with:
Example: 日本 + にほん + Japan is one vocab
Here is the prototype for the creation process:
It is not completely polished as the Japanese font is still too small & I renamed lesson to chapter
Here is a video of it in action: https://vimeo.com/381148218 (password: japan)
I am a learner of Japanese myself and I try to solve issues I encounter myself and I thought there might be other people out there who share them.
I didn’t design yet the learning process (will be SRS) as it depends on the information that is setup for the vocabulary.
But I think structuring the vocabulary like that allows learning of:
- Show the Kanji & ask for the meaning
- Show the Reading & ask for the meaning
- Show the meaning & ask for the Kanji
- Show the Kanji & ask for the reading
Cause currently I have the issue that with current apps you either have to type in everything at least two times (Kanji + reading, Kanji + meaning) or you are asked for both at the same time and I felt that one part is often ignored.
So my questions to you are:
- Do you struggle currently with any issues in current solutions
- What do you think of Setting up the vocabulary how I designed it (also if you think sth is frustrating)
- What do you expect from the learning process (How do you learn best: Typing in with keyboard, Choosing from letters, Multiple-Choice, Flashcard itself and you just press Knew it/Didn’t knew it)
- Any feature you miss in apps you use for learning Japanese
Thank you so much in advance. I want to design something that people love to use and help them in their journey And to do that, I need feedback.
I decided to ask publicly because so far I didn’t get enough feedback and the more feedback, the better I am working on it alone - so finishing it might need some time