Things WaniKani doesn't teach you #3: A ton of verbs from level 1-10 kanji

So, I wanted to go through all the verbs that are either common, or are joyo readings, which aren’t found on WK… but doing so in one topic would be insane. So I stopped at level 10 for now.

Some of these are super common words, some of them are quite rare, but as I said, they are all either common, or taught as joyo readings. So you can encounter them in content for school children.

This isn’t exhaustive, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

力む (りきむ) (1) to exert strength, (2) to boast
生かす (いかす) to make (the best) use of
古す (ふるす) to wear out
分かつ (わかつ) to separate
引ける (ひける) (1) to close (as in a business), to be over (as in school), (2) to lose one’s nerve
仕える (つかえる) to serve, to work for
去る (さる) to leave, to go away
赤らむ (あからむ) to turn red, to blush
来る (きたる) to come, to arrive [used in Game of Thrones for “Winter is coming” 冬来たる (yes, both ways of writing it are possible)]
図る (はかる) to plan, to scheme
交う (かう) to take turns, to mingle together [typically appears as an auxiliary verb]
食う (くう) to eat [rough / male language]
食らう (くらう) to eat, to devour [vulgar]
次ぐ (つぐ) to rank next, to come after
歩む (あゆむ) to walk
強いる (しいる) to force, to compel
教わる (おそわる) to be taught, to learn from
反る (そる) to bend, to warp
反らす (そらす) to bend, to warp
研ぐ (とぐ) to sharpen
定める (さだめる) to decide, to determine
重なる (かさなる) to pile up
重ねる (かさねる) to pile up, to put on top of another thing
負う (おう) (1) to carry on one’s back, (2) to accept responsibility
和らぐ (やわらぐ) to soften, to calm down
和む (なごむ) to soften, to calm down
勝る (まさる) to excel, to be superior
集う (つどう) to meet, to congregate
終える (おえる) to finish

#1: 空 (そら) as a prefix
#2: the ほつ reading of 発

133 Likes

ゴゴゴゴ

9 Likes

Now create mnemonics for each one. :relaxed:

4 Likes

I’d personally rather have example sentences for each word. :smiley:

Thanks for compiling all this, @Leebo! (and right when I’m finishing up lvl 10, too - great timing!) This will make it really easy to actually incorporate them into my vocab learning. I only know 教わる and 食う from that list, which is… Somewhat alarming. Maybe. :smiley:

Are you planning on continuing your good work? I’d sure appreciate you sharing if you are. :smiley:

7 Likes

This was also my first thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks for this list! This is what makes a book like Kanji Learner’s Dictionary really useful, seeing all the vocab that WK doesn’t teach… also readings in some cases…

3 Likes

I don’t know if this was really easy for you to do or not but in any case it’s super useful for me! Thankyou for your effort! :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is great!! I’m seeing most of them for the first time (so I should read more probably), so it’s really useful to have them listed up like this

2 Likes

This series = instant like

力む: I was wondering where the りき reading from 力 was used. I don’t even recall whether I learned that in memrise or WK.

食う: Anyone with a major shounen history should know this one probably :joy:

3 Likes

I only knew eight of the… twenty eight? D:

Guess it’s nice to get confirmation that yes, my vocabulary knowledge is still dire :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There’s 馬力, which WK teaches. ばりき, horsepower. Though maybe at a later level, don’t remember when WK teaches 馬. :thinking:

Wish WK included more verbs as well.

2 Likes

There’s 力士 (りきし) as well, sumo wrestler.

7 Likes

I haven’t learned that one yet. It should come soon, though, as 馬 is apprentice 4 for me right now.

Hm, I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen this one as well.

Oh well, I’ll just wait till leveling up…

1 Like

Nice! :smiley: Haven’t learned 士 on WK yet, but that makes so much sense! One less word I’ll have to memorize at lvl 13, thanks. :slight_smile:

You and me both! :smiley: Our time’s gonna come!

1 Like

This one interests me - it’s written the same as 来る(くる), and means the same thing, but pronounced differently…
Is the 来たる way of writing it more common, or would there usually be furigana on it if it was meant to be read きたる? Or is there a different nuance, and so the reading would be obvious based on the context?

6 Likes

I knew 20 of 28!

I can’t find this in any 和英 dictionary except of JMdict. It it really a separate word, or is it used only as a suffix in 飛び交う and 行き交う?

その血の定め
ジョォォォォォォー ジョ!

4 Likes

和英 is also on jisho.
There are a lot of words not being thought just read a few lines in a VN (or something else :P) and you find kanji combinations which you don’t know.

Great list! Thanks for compiling it, Leebo-san!

I had seen some of these before, but not memorized yet. I bet they’ll all be useful, though

1 Like

As someone who is in their level 40s and generally dislikes verb vocabulary for how difficult it is to efficiently remember and recall in conversations/writing…

This list gives me anxiety.

But thanks

3 Likes