The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Well on a 24 hour system, midnight is 0, right? They start counting at 0, so its not surprising that they would apply the same logic to when you start counting over for the pm. Personally it makes a whole lot more sense to me than starting the PM with 12 and then going back to 1, 2, 3. My guess would be the original use was for the 24 hour system and it just kinda got extended over, but that’s pure speculation.

Also I checked some books I’ve read and couldn’t find it being used for noon, but I did find 午前零時 which would imply that noon is a potential use in standard japanese or else they probably (?) Wouldn’t have bothered to include the 午前.

Its also worth noting that 0時 is only midnight though iirc.

EDIT: Got a source on my last claim because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t passing along wrong info

そのため、 昼の12時を指す表現は午前12時のみであり、午後0時という表現は法的には存在しません

So yeah its supposed to only be midnight, but I think due to 零時, its possible someone might mistake it for noon despite not being technically correct. Like I can find where 午後0時 is used on the internet to mean noon, but 0時 is always midnight. Which makes sense. The reason I’m seeing online for using 0時 or 零時 when talking about noon is that its just a lot easier to understand and less likely to be misinterpreted when it follows either 午後 or 午前.

4 Likes

It’s also worth noting, that in Japan sometimes 25時 will be used for 1am, 26時 for 2am etc, for example for marking ending times of events that start before midnight but end after.
I also encountered it yesterday in VN, when protagonist (in narration) said something like “It was 25 - I mean, 1am of the next day”, while walking home late at night. So basically it can be used whenever you’re mentally still in the previous day I guess :wink:

5 Likes

けいしょく

Mine seems alright with it. My phone’s Japanese.

2 Likes

What does it do for けしき?

Different iPhone model (hence the slightly different look), but the results should be the same.

2 Likes

Hi,

What was that word for when you were sure you knew something, but you actually remembered it wrong? I remember learning about it, but forgot what it exactly was. 勘違い?
Or perhaps just 間違えて覚える?

1 Like

Yep, same results. Depending on the default language though, I don’t think this is always the case since my phone has a quirky habit of changing some words like one piece into ONE PIECE. I didn’t have that happen when it was American

You mean even when you have English selected as main language? I noticed my JP keyboard sometimes capitalizes カタカナ words even when typing with kana. For instance, うネスコ might get replaced with UNESCO.

My けいしょく suggestion was rejected by the way. Makes sense :slight_smile: .

1 Like

??? what the actual shit

did I add this from kanji damage when I was half asleep?

I looked on jisho JUST TO BE SURE. not there. Is this an actual thing?

2 Likes

Congrats! You discovered one of WaniKani’s many Easter Eggs! :smiley:

Yes, Nic Cage is a national treasure, believe it or not!

3 Likes

I don’t watch american movies so I don’t even know who that is

1 Like

Do you recognize this sparkling persona?

1 Like

I think he’s in the office I saw a clip once it’s kinda funny

This is more like… a ‘misunderstanding’. A classic use of it is in anime when someone is telling someone else off (or when a tsundere is speaking). It tends to appear in phrases like「勘違いするな」(‘don’t misunderstand’), and is usually followed by stuff like ‘this doesn’t mean I’ve forgiven you’ or ‘that doesn’t mean I like you’ or ‘I haven’t forgotten your promise, so make good on it’.

I’m not sure, but I think 覚え違い (the act of remembering incorrectly) is a possibility.

1 Like

They also often say 感謝しなさい (“be grateful”) :smiley: .

Didn’t find it on Jisho, but did on Weblio: 「覚え違い」の英語・英語例文・英語表現 - Weblio和英辞書

WaniKani teaches 読み違い so this makes sense :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

To give a fully straightforward answer, by the way - it’s because he was in a movie called National Treasure. That’s pretty much it.

6 Likes

I think this is one of those cases where it’s more a pattern than a bunch of individual words - like with ◯方 being basically “way of doing ◯” even thought WK and Jisho have a bunch of individual entries for it, ◯違い would be something along the lines of “making a mistake in ◯”. So 読み違い is misreading, 覚え違い is misremembering, 言い違い is misspeaking, etc.

I tend to prefer learning these things as the overarching pattern. Unless of course there are only specific words with which 方 and 違い can be used, in which case I might have to reevaluate how I think about them :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

And just to point out the even larger pattern (in case it happens to be helpful to anyone)- there’s tons and tons of compound verbs like this.

読み違う - to read and be wrong - to misread
覚え違う - to remember and be wrong - to misremember
刺し殺す - to stab and kill- to stab to death
投げ込む - to throw and put in - to throw in
焼き払う - to burn and clear away - to burn down
etc. etc.
This is the single biggest pattern I noticed from doing lots of vocabulary anki reviews, is compound verbs like this. English prepositional phrases especially tend to end up as these.
And at least some of them (like 殺す) are productive patterns similar to how 違う is in this case.

8 Likes

Yeah, I think that was it. Thanks :slight_smile: I was a bit confused, since I didn’t find it on jisho.

1 Like

Yeah, the OP change is on the English keyboard. I forget any other specific examples but mine will suggest romaji at times too

1 Like