The quick or short Language Questions Thread (not grammar)

Oh I see. Dang.

1 Like

Building on your advice for me, have you tried looking at Japanese idioms? There might be something out there, if you start off with a broader search criteria. :eyes:

2 Likes

I find a lot of them are mistranslated online, so I don’t trust searchable resources too well. I should try asking some of my friends though.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s grammar or vocab question, but I’ll shoot here. In casual speech, things often get shortened/smashed together. For example, ~ている gets shortened to ~てる, or ~ておく changes into ~とく. Yesterday, while reading a VN, I encountered another one - which I saw for the first time. ~てあげる changed into ~たげる, specifically ”私おごったげるよ". Since I saw it for the first time, I’d like to ask - how common is that form?

Maybe saying it in a more explicit fashion might work? Something like「こういうのは、全てをかけてやるしかない」, perhaps?

In casual speech? I think it’s really common. It comes up quite a lot on VTuber streams anyway, and I think you can catch it in anime from time to time. It’s definitely common enough that Tobira decided to include it in one of its earliest chapters. The shortening I hear the most is forms of 〜ておく→〜とく.

3 Likes

That might work, thank you!

1 Like

Since your question was about something you encountered in written form, I’ll give your answer in the written form context. It’s not all that common to see it shortened, especially compared to others. And when you do see it every now and then it’s always in quotes ime rather than narration or anything.

4 Likes

Thanks. That would make sense, since it definitely looks like a spoken thing - in the game where I encountered it, it was indeed dialogue line, not narration. So in that case writer decided to explicitly show character’s speech quirk in text, instead of leaving it up just to voice actor.

1 Like

What’s the ACTUAL logic behind 多分 meaning maybe? “X has many factors so the outcome is uncertain”?

多分 is a bit more like “probably” than “maybe,” so while searching “多分 語源” didn’t turn up any real slam dunks, it seems to me that it’s related to words for “majority” like 大部分 or 大多数 (and I did get that from here, which explains a related expression).

So it’d be like, “the part that has more,” and you can see how that might translate to probabilities as “it’s not a sure thing but X is at least a little bit more likely than not” which is pretty much 多分.

(that said generally I’d say expressions and grammar stuff is gonna have less direct logic behind the kanji than other words, so I could also certainly buy just the word having developed for some other reason first and then the kanji being applied to match the sound. But the possible explanation above seems to have some connection at least)

5 Likes

That’s how I would look at it as well. It’s one of those words one can throw around, meaning “probably” or “I guess”, expressing slightly greater certainty than かもしれない (or the casual かも). Whenever I think of 多分, I think more of the phonetic たぶん, even though I like to spell it out with kanji :stuck_out_tongue: .

Interestingly, 多分に means “substantially” or “considerably”.

1 Like

what does it mean にすることを in this sentence?

[横綱よこづな]にすることを伝える式で

is it ‘about’?

I think in this specific case it means “to be made”:
[横綱よこづな]にすることを伝える式
The ceremony where one will be informed about being made a grand champion.

I’m guessing the tailing で is because it’s a clause in a bigger sentence, right? Or is the “context” で? What’s the full context?

2 Likes

My italki teacher messaged me with 7/25ですが、おばあちゃんのお葬式のため授業ができないので、日程変更のリクエストを送ってもらえますか?すみません!

What’s the most appropriate way to reply? How do I send my condolences in Japanese?

1 Like

There are set phrases for expressing condolences, such as ご愁傷様です, but I’ve heard some Japanese people say that recent sarcastic usage of it has made them feel weird about saying it.

I doubt your teacher would take it poorly, they’d just assume you looked it up, so I’m sure it would be fine.

Honestly, I would probably just say something like “そうなんですか…” in reaction to their grandmother and “もちろん、問題ありません” to just let them know I’m not bothered by having to change the lesson.

4 Likes

Thank you.

When is カルタ used instead of 札? is 花札 a type of カルタ?

I feel like usually カルタ is used to refer to the game or category of games more often than the cards, even though I think it technically could. It’s normal to talk about 札 while playing カルタ. And yes, 花札 is considered a kind of カルタ.

1 Like

A quick heads-up since it doesn’t warrant a new thread. I requested an extra on’yomi reading for 景色 (けいしょく, more in line with the kanji). Found it recently in Jisho:

Fingers crossed for a “yes” :slight_smile: .

Has anyone come across this reading in a book perhaps? I’ve only seen けしき for “scenery”.

I’ve never seen that reading used for 景色. I don’t really think it should be allowed by WaniKani.

5 Likes