(The increasingly less) Daily senryu thread

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Previous senryu

1. 帰りぎわとらなきゃよかったこの電話
    かえりぎわ・とらなきゃよかった・このでんわ
    heading out the door / wishing I hadn’t picked up / that one last phone call

Notes:

• :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: :confetti_ball: @Tanya7281, @Axazel, and @LaVieQ
  • I ended up choosing Axazel’s version, but all three perfectly captured the intent. Axazel’s grammatical explanation put it over the top (5-7-5 to boot!).
  • 〜なきゃよかった is casual Japanese for 〜なければよかった: ”it would have been good if I hadn’t,” a way of expressing regret
  • Dropping a mora will mess you up! It was so weird seeing the こ suddenly appear: you can even tell when I cut and pasted (still without noticing) and when I actually typed the wrong version in my replies above. I was expending so much mental energy trying to explain the の in よかったの電話(でんわ) to myself (thinking it important) that I didn’t even notice that wasn’t what was actually written! From here on, I’m reading all of these aloud, SLOWLY counting morae!

Current senryu challenge

Volume: Ladies

1. 工作にシャネルの空き箱子にもたせ

I’m simultaneously certain I understand the literal meaning of this one, while equally uncertain of the real meaning (I’ve at least two possible interpretations). Ladies please help me out.

Remember to please use the spoiler tag with your translation attempts! Also, please include the reading in kana with your submission.

Everyone is encouraged to participate, no matter your level!

Online tools like dictionaries, sentence databases, and even AI translation engines are fair game and can be extremely helpful. Yomichan is particularly handy if you use the Chrome or Firefox browser.

Here are the links to the 356 Japanese originals (spoiler free) and to the the spreadsheet with all the upcoming senryu as well as the translations to date.

3 Likes