舞妓さんちのまかないさん・Kiyo in Kyoto Volume 3

Volume 3 Discussion Thread

Start Date: 2024-02-29T15:00:00Z

舞妓さんちのまかないさん・Kiyo in Kyoto Reading Club Home Thread

Vocabulary Lists

Want to contribute to a vocabulary list? Let me know and I’ll generate the template for this volume.

Reading Schedule

Week Start Date Chapter
Week 1 Feb 1 Ch 20 夢の一枚
Week 2 Mar 8 Ch 21 今日は何曜日?
Week 3 Mar 15 Ch 22 おたよりを待つひと
Week 4 Mar 22 Ch 23 花街のクリスマス
Week 5 Mar 29 Ch 24 花街の大みそか
Week 6 Apr 5 Ch 25 帰郷1日目
Week 7 Apr 12 Ch 26 初詣へ
Week 8 Apr 19 Ch 27 再ぴ京都へ
Week 9 Apr 26 Ch 28 仕事始めの日
Week 10 May 3 Ch 29 始業式
Week 11 May 10 Ch 30 白い鳩

Discussion Rules

  • If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
  • Please mention the chapter and page number.
  • Please use spoiler tags for major events.
  • If you read ahead, please hold questions until during or after the appropriate week.

第20話 夢の一枚

Start Date: 2024-02-29T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

Why’s Kiyo make the distinction between 福引き券 and 福引き補助券? I’m guessing it’s because the former are one ticket = one draw while the latter are ten tickets = one draw, but it seems an odd thing to be insistent on.

That おじさん was willing to buy ダイヤs for Momohana, she should have asked for the breadmaker! I mean, I can see why she didn’t though. :joy:

@Belthazar because she didn’t have enough to even get one lottery ticket…

第21話 今日は何曜日?

Start Date: 2024-03-07T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

土曜日です。

I love how the rest of the house knows it’s Wednesday because that’s the day Kiyo drinks coffee milk, even though Kiyo doesn’t know what day it is.

第22話 おたよりを待つひと

Start Date: 2024-03-14T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

So, the address on Kiyo’s letter back home points to here. Kinda thought postcodes were a bit more precise than that, but maybe that’s just in the big cities.

Kenta’s trapped in a time loop.

1)いて
2)変なき
3)Repeat

第23話 花街のクリスマス

Start Date: 2024-03-21T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

Heh. I was amused by that final panel. :slightly_smiling_face:

第24話 花街の大みそか

Start Date: 2024-03-28T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

Soo I’m a little confused on 餅皮 on the 福玉. It can’t really be made from mochi, right? Is it just saying it’s some kind of thin paper coating on it?

Sumire looks much better with her hair down…

Kiyo still set on that Home Bakery, huh?

Awesome. The explanation is in 関西弁.

第25話 帰郷1日目

Start Date: 2024-04-04T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

On page 69 nice fifth panel, フナバヤシ is here. Following page fourth panel, 京甘堂 is here. Coincidentally enough, the latest street view image for Funabayashi was taken in November 2023, so they’ve got a sign up in the window saying they’re now taking bookings for 丸焼き.

第26話 初詣へ

Start Date: 2024-04-11T15:00:00Z

Participation

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll. (You can change your answer later if you’d like.)

  • I’m reading along.
  • I have finished this part.
  • I will catch up later.
0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

Page 78, Kenta’s English Toast was… I’m gonna say manufactured here. More specifically, English Toast. Near as I can tell, they don’t have their own shops, but maybe I’m just not looking hard enough.

From page 79 onwards, they’re visiting Sanbongi Inari Shrine - the main entrance, shown rather dramatically on this page, is here.

TIL english toast is a thing, I guess the french version took over everywhere but in aomori lol