The 🤼 プロレス thread! Learning Japanese through pro wrestling

I found a teacher on Italki that watches New Japan wrestling so started doing lessons twice a week with her. It’s great. She uses the wrestlers as examples so today we were practicing dates and numbers by reading the profiles on New Japan’s website and reading dates of births, heights etc.

I’m hoping this helps jumpstart my studies. I hit a wall a while back and stopped practicing. I ended up resetting my wanikani when I was at level 15 a couple of months and am now on level 10 again. It was the best decision for me to to make as it was becoming a chore but I am now on top of it.

3 Likes

Here’s another post with some miscellaneous other stuff in it:

First up, something that was a bit interesting to me was this tweet from someone else at Kota’s secret base using the phrase 温故知新 in a sort of… Ibushi Research Institute sense, I guess? For lack of a better way to put it. It made me wonder if Kenny was referring to something a bit bigger than just the Golden Lovers reunion with that phrase… Then again, the person who made that tweet could have just been being a little cheeky about the reunion, haha.

Another thing I wanted to share was that DDT uploaded Konosuke Takeshita’s debut match, which was against El Generico on August 18, 2012 at Budokan Hall. The description says it’s only available for a limited time, so I chose not to embed the video. I’m not sure how long it’ll be up, but it’s a pretty important match, as far as DDT history goes (an important show, too. This was the show that Kenny Omega vs Kota Ibushi II main evented :smiling_face_with_tear:).

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I ended up trying out the CAT (computer-aided translation) program Smartcat after a friend recommended it to me. It’s free, though the downside is that your translations get used to train machine translation (I want machine translation of wrestling stuff to be better than it is so less false rumors get spread, so this is actually a plus, in my opinion).

CAT speeds up human translation because it learns from your previous translation choices and saves you a lot of work. Smartcat also lets you upload custom glossaries, so I went through and made one full of words from the glossary chapter in 新日本プロレス英語入門. I left out some words that didn’t seem necessary to include, and included some that are probably more useful from the other direction (English to Japanese), but I figured it’s still a neat reference to have.

Smartcat lets you export your glossaries, so here is my NJPW English pro wrestling terms glossary, if anyone wants it for any reason. I might try to add more terms from the rest of the book later, though no idea when I’ll get around to doing that.

While making the glossary, I ended up reading the rest of the chapter, haha. Here are a few things I found interesting:

The word they use to define “screw” is 裏切る, which, yeah, it is definitely used for that! Though I don’t think I would have thought of that definition for that word first, haha. They also mention “Dragon Screw” and define “screwed up” as めちゃくちゃ, which actually did seem useful to me for wrestling translations, so I added that to my glossary.

For “stiff”, they gave 強烈な, which seemed potentially useful from a translation perspective!

They clarified that “takedown” is one word. It didn’t occur to me that that sort of thing is probably important to point out to Japanese speakers, since I bet spaces between words don’t stand out to them as much.

I was amused that they defined “heat” as ブーイングを受ける. It’s true, but is kind of funny when you put it like that, haha.

I thought it was interesting that they defined “too sweet” as 最高すぎる. They define “sweet” as 心地よい and すてきだ, with no real mention of the flavor, which is my first thought when I hear the word. Though I guess “too sweet” in a wrestling sense isn’t actually referring to flavor at all. However, there was that one Antonio Honda Gon the Fox joke that absolutely was making a joke about something being “too sweet”, haha.

I learned a new English wrestling term! There is such a thing as a “glue guy”, apparently! It refers to 誰とでも組める選手.

I did laugh when I saw that they had to explain (in the context of describing “hot start”) that in English, “hot” can also mean セクシー.

And for “unleash”, they also define “leash” as the 綱 used when walking a dog.

And that’s it! I’m done reading the glossary! I’m still surprised that I was able to get as much out of it as I did without really looking anything up. I’m not sure what part of the book I’m going to attempt to read next. Maybe the single line translations from the chapter before the glossary? It might be December before I so much as touch the book again, though :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Finished translating the September 16 TJPW show! Just one show left to do, and then the next one after that is Wrestle Princess on October 9!

This is the first translation I’ve attempted to do with the CAT software, and I do think it’s going to speed up the process a bit, so that’s exciting!

The first match to have post-match comments was Mei Suruga vs Moka Miyamoto. Moka was actually supposed to face AEW’s resident nonbinary zombie, Abadon, but Abadon had visa issues and wasn’t able to make it, so Mei came in and wrestled Moka instead. She took her role of being Abadon’s replacement very seriously, haha, and bit Moka several times in Abadon’s honor.

Her comments were also pretty funny because it seemed like she was sort of trying to play both sides, haha. She kept emphasizing in English that she was Abadon’s friend, then sided with Moka in Japanese.

For the first half of Mei’s comment, the part I wasn’t quite sure about was this last line: “もかさん、大変噛んでしまって申し訳ありませんでしたという気持ちもございますが、本来はもかさんは今日、あのアバドンと試合をするということだったので。まぁアバドンよりかは体は小さいけど、アバドンよりかは何をするのか分からない駿河メイだと思うので.”

Mei: (in English) “Hey Abadon. I’m your friend, from today, because I bit people. I bit Moka Miyamoto. So, we are friends, so don’t worry, you get it.” (in Japanese) “Moka-san, I’m very sorry for biting you, but originally, you were supposed to have a match with Abadon today. Well, I’m smaller than Abadon, but I’m Mei Suruga, and you never know what I’m going to do any more than you know what Abadon will do."

Here’s the other half: “今後もしまたチャンスがあった時、アバドンと闘った時に今日の駿河メイを思い出して、逆にアバドンに正拳突きですか? かわらわりですか?を叩き込んでくださったらいいと思います。でも自分の東京女子のデビューは宮本もか選手とタッグを組んでのものだったので、今日こんなところで出会えると思っていなかったので、すごく嬉しいです。私はもかさんがアバドンに負けないことを祈っています.”

My main question here was what she meant by “かわらわりですか?”. I googled かわらわり, and it seems to be the Japanese name for the Pokemon move Brick Break, haha! So that was my best guess? :sweat_smile:

"If you get another chance to face Abadon in the future, will you remember Mei Suruga from today, and do a seiken-zuki against them? ‘Moka used Brick Break!’ It would be nice if you could hit that. But Moka was my tag partner in my TJPW debut match, and being able to have this match with her today by chance, it makes me really happy. I’m praying that Moka-san doesn’t lose to Abadon!” (in English) “But we are friends, Abadon, thank you!”

Moka’s comments were easier. The only part I had a little trouble with was “すごい表現も素敵で…私ももっともっと強くなりたいなって思いました.” I wasn’t exactly sure how to translate that first part.

Miyamoto: “Today Mei-san came in on short notice, and we had a match. I teamed up with Mei-san a few weeks after my debut, and I was hoping I’d get to fight her someday. I’m really happy that we were able to have a singles match like this. When we actually fought, I thought Mei-san was strong, and I was struck by how much she seemed to enjoy the match. She expressed herself wonderfully… It made me want to become stronger, too. Abadon wasn’t able to come this time, but I’d like to fight them someday if we get the chance.”

Yuka and Mizuki faced Shoko and Arisu, and the most notable thing that happened was Yuka lost her voice during the match. This is the entire theme of Yuka and Mizuki’s comments.

Mizuki: (to Sakazaki, who isn’t speaking) “Say something!” (laughs)

Sakazaki: (in a raspy voice) “Hi, I’m Yuka Sakazaki.”

Mizuki: “Your voice is gone” (laughs)

Then Yuka says, “東京女子のアリエル担当の…” I wasn’t quite sure where she was going with this :sweat_smile:.

Sakazaki: “I’m Ariel from TJPW, in charge of…”

Mizuki: “You’re not Ariel! I think you left your voice in the ring.” (laughs) “But thank you for winning successfully.”

Sakazaki: “I lost my voice in the middle of it… That’s all.”

(Nakajima said that there is something you’re hiding?)

“Of course there is.”

(You still aren’t showing it?)

“Of course not.”

(Did this really happen during the match?)

Mizuki: (interpreting) “I was normal until the middle of the match. Then, while fighting Arisu, I lost my voice.”

Shoko’s comments were a little harder. Lots of sentences in there that I wasn’t fully confident on. She said, “TDCホールまで、今日と次のKFCホールが当たれるチャンスというか、試合のチャンスだったなと思います。今日は有栖が粘ってくれたんですけど、試合としては負けてしまって。やっぱり、けっこう連戦も続いてて、試合の回数を重ねるごとにパワーアップしてるというか。どんどん知らない面を見せてくるようになったなと思ってて。でも私もこのままではないので、いま磨いてるものを完成させればきっと防衛できると信じてます。いま大事に自分の中で育ててるものがあるので、あと少しですが完成形にもっていきたいと思ってます.”

Nakajima: “Today and KFC Hall are my chances to face her before TDC Hall, or I should say the matches are opportunities. Today, Arisu hung in there, but we lost the match. Still, our series of matches continues, and I’m powering up more and more with every match. I think she’s showing more and more sides of herself that I hadn’t known. But the same isn’t true for me, so if I can perfect what I’m refining now, I believe that I’ll surely be able to defend my title. There is something that I am nurturing within myself, and it’s almost there, but I want to bring it to its final form.”

Arisu’s comment was a lot easier haha!

Endo: “I’ve been having a lot of matches with my senpais. On the one hand, I’m happy, but on the other, my own weaknesses are way too visible, and it’s really frustrating. I don’t know how to explain it, but… I still feel like I’m not good enough. I still haven’t won a singles match yet. So, I’m going to keep training, hone my skills more and more, increase my physical strength, and improve my power.”

Shoko’s other comment was also a bit confusing to me. I couldn’t tell what exactly the interviewer was asking, or what her answer meant: “(滅多に出さない技を出し合っていたが、近づくにつれての気持ちの表れ?)そうですね。ちょっと威嚇に近い部分はあるかもしれないんですけど、まだ自分は隠してます。でもユカッチも手の内をすべて出してるわけではないと思うし。ホントにこの1週間とか2週間ですっかり変わる人だと思っているので。そこに負けないようにしたいです.”

(You were exchanging rarely used moves; was that a sign of your feelings as the match gets closer?)

Nakajima: “Well… there might be a part of me that’s a little intimidated, but I’m keeping myself concealed. But I don’t think Yuka-chi has revealed all of her cards, either. I really think she’s someone who will change completely in the next week or two. I don’t want to lose to her there.”

Miu vs Suzume closed out the show, and it was a really fun main event! Both of them did a great job, and it was really exciting to see how far both of them have come. I’m looking forward to seeing Miu hopefully get that title run with the International belt, now that she earned herself a shot at it…

Miu’s comments in-ring seemed straightforward enough:

Miu: “I beat Suzume! So, with that, I am going to be challenging for the International title at Wrestle Princess on October 9! I think this summer has been a really intense one for Suzume as well, and for me it was a truly unforgettable summer. I don’t want to let my momentum from this summer cool off here. I think I have to gain more experience in order to get closer to reaching my senpais. I want to seize this opportunity to win the International belt… and I want to beat Alex-san! October 9 is just a few weeks away, so please give me your support. Thank you very much for today!”

Backstage, things got a little trickier, haha. This first part of her comments was a bit confusing to me, though I think I got the rest: “鈴芽に勝って、インターナショナルのベルトに10月9日に挑戦することを決めました。もう気が付けば9月も中旬で、この夏を振り返った時に『あの夏は…』みたいな風に終わらせたくないなと思っていて。この勢いをずっとつけたまんま、秋も冬も来年も進み続けたいなって。先輩に追いつくために、いろんなことを学びたいなってちょうど思ってた時に貰ったチャンスだったので.”

Miu: "I beat Suzume, and I am going to be challenging for the International belt on October 9! It’s already the middle of September, and when I look back on this summer, I don’t want it to end with me thinking something like, ‘that summer was…’ and it just stops there. I want to keep this momentum going, into autumn, winter, and next year. This opportunity came at a time when I was wanting to learn so many things so that I could catch up to my senpais. I feel so happy and relieved that I was able to seize this chance here. I think that by challenging Alex-san and hopefully winning the International belt, I will get to feel the greatness of my senpais, see new scenery, and gain new experiences. I want to learn a lot from this and do my best from here so that I can win that belt.”

In the next part of her comments, there was one part that was really confusing to me, but I think I actually managed to watch the video and figure it out myself haha.

A couple sentences in, the shupro transcript had this: “そこで海外の方とシングルの経験を積めるのはすごいことですし、逆に英語の人…ですかね? 日本語じゃない人と闘ったことがないので。でも語源? 言葉じゃない何かで勝ちたいと思います.” I could not for the life of me figure out what “でも語源?” was referring to. 語源 just seems to mean “etymology”!

But then I watched the video, and I think what happened is that Miu says “言語(げんご)” (language), then corrects herself to “語源(ごげん)” (etymology), then gives up on trying to remember the correct order of げん and ご in the word she wants and just says “言葉(ことば)” (words) instead, haha!

(This will be your first time challenging for a singles title at a big venue)

“It is my first time challenging at a big venue, isn’t it? The last time we were at TDC was when I lost the tag belts, so in the end, TDC is looking bright after all… It’s a very big stage for an idol. It’s amazing to get to have a singles match with a wrestler from overseas, but on the other hand… she’s an English-speaker, right? I’ve never wrestled someone who doesn’t speak Japanese. But I don’t want to use language—etymology?—I don’t know!” (laughs) “—I want to win with something other than words.”

The second half of her comment was trickier. She said, “鈴芽とは夏が始まった頃から、私たちが頑張りたいなって思ってた1人だったので。今回、ここで2人でシングルって言うのはものすごいおっきいことだなって思ったし。だから、メインとしてちゃんとメインにふさわしい試合を鈴芽と私でしないといけないなって言う風にも感じていて。先輩がいないと『東京女子は楽しいけどメインがちょっと…』って言われたらどうしようって不安な気持ちを抱いて今日は闘ってたんですけど。そういうのではなく、ちゃんとお客さんが幸せな気持ちで帰ってくれてたらいいなって気持ちです.”

Here’s what I had:

(Today, two wrestlers from the new generation were entrusted with the main event)

“Since summer started, Suzume has been working really hard alongside me. So I thought that the two of us having a singles match today was a really big deal. And I felt that we had to have a match that was worthy of being the main event. My senpais weren’t here, so as I was wrestling, I was worrying about what I’d do if people said ‘TJPW is fun, but the main event was a bit…’ But it didn’t turn out like that, so I hope the audience went home happy.”

I think I got the first half of Suzume’s comments:

Suzume: "To be honest, it was a crazy hot summer. It was a bit… how should I say it… I’m not going to take a breather, but I was thinking about it when I suddenly got this chance. But my opponent was Miu-san, and she’s a senpai whom I really, really respect. We’re close in age, and she said ‘let’s do our best together!’ so I wanted to live up to that… and above all, I wanted to surpass her. I fought her with everything I did to get to this point, and everything I can do now, but… in the end, she was unbelievably strong. Of course, I also want more people to know about TJPW, and I’m going to keep conveying it to all sorts of people, including people overseas. Miu-san is an incredible wrestler, and I feel like she’ll amaze anyone who watches her regardless of which country they’re from. I want her to take that belt back and make herself known to as many people as possible.”

The next half tripped me up right away, though. I wasn’t quite sure I understood what the interviewer was asking: “(あまり泣いている姿は見せないと思うが?)けっこう泣き虫かも(苦笑)。(普段と違うように感じました)でも、いつも悔しくて悔しくてっていうのはもちろんあるんですけど…今日はなんだろう.”

(I don’t think we’ve ever seen you cry this much)

“I can be quite a crybaby.” (laughs)

(It felt different from usual)

“I always feel frustrated and disappointed, of course, but… what is it about today? Going out there and doing my best, it feels kind of freeing, or I guess fulfilling. But I can’t help but feel frustrated.”

I think I got this part, though I wasn’t sure about her last sentence here: “(この夏の成長や期待はどう受け止めている?)この夏に向けてとか、夏にやったことは決して無駄じゃなくて。でもそれでも、まだまだ足りないものだらけなので。未詩さんをはじめとした先輩たちに負けないように。危険な存在になっていきたいと思います.”

Here’s my attempt, plus the rest of her comments:

(How do you feel about your growth and all of the expectations this summer?)

“Everything I did going into summer, and during summer, it wasn’t in vain. But even so, it wasn’t enough, in so many ways. I’m not going to lose to my senpais, starting with Miu-san. I want to have a dangerous presence.”

(Do you feel like you’ve discovered what you’re lacking?)

“I don’t think my fighting style is wrong. I believe I was able to fight today even with Miu-san as my opponent, so I’m going to keep moving forward along this path.”

And that’s it for that show! The next show doesn’t have a whole lot of comments to translate, but it does have a contract signing, haha :sweat_smile:. I do think I’m getting faster, though, and hopefully am having less questions!

2 Likes

I think the sense here is more along the lines of like, “I don’t know better (what to do) than Abadon” / “if it’s good enough for Abadon it’s good enough for me” that kind of thing. Like, roughly, “I’m truly sorry for biting you, but you were scheduled to fight Abadon, and well, I’m smaller than her but I thought I’d take their lead strategy-wise.”
(I don’t have super exact grammatical backing for that though)

Well, yeah! Makes sense - 瓦割り would more or less literally be “Brick Break” :sweat_smile:
I’d definitely have to say though it’s referring to the classic karate demonstration of chopping through a bunch of tiles (and the chop used in it), with the Pokemon move coming from the real-life phenomenon, rather than a reference to the move in the games.

(those are かわら and he’s わる’ing them)

Here it’s like, “will you remember your experience fighting me today, and pull off a [Typical Karate Move A] on them? Or a [Typical Karate Move B]? I hope so!”

Well, Weblio has for example :

表現 (ひょうげん)
[名](スル)心理的、感情的、精神的などの内面的なものを、外面的、感性的形象として客観化すること。また、その客観的形象としての、表情・身振り・言語・記号・造形物など。

So yeah! The way she expressed herself (through facial expressions, actions, words, etc.) was 素敵!

This part here is mixed around – アリエル担当 means she’s in charge of Ariel (as in, the role of Ariel), not that she’s Ariel, and separately in charge of something.

I honestly haven’t actually seen The Little Mermaid, but isn’t the plot of that that Ariel gets turned into a human but she can’t speak? So I imagine she’s referring to that! As in, like “I’ll be filling the role of Ariel for TJPW today! (because I can’t speak)”

Mizuki’s response is laughing, but protesting the silly joke, and it looks like there’s some more riffing on this in the video – a tough listening comprehension challenge! I think there’s a ありすぎる → “アリス is later on” ダジャレ and at least one about アリエル/ありえる.

There’s a lot more giggling and repeating similar things in general too.

The part that came out as:

is from a bit where Yuka is summarizing the situation via like, raspily dictating, clause-by-clause, for Mizuki to repeat after her:
(commented that before seeing later on it’s mentioned in the transcript too – this interpretation starts here and goes on through to the end)

I would maybe translate 途中 here just as like, “during the match” – it’s one of those things that sounds a little odd in English brought over literally. “During the match (During the match!)… I lost (She lost)… my voice! (her voice!)”

One other comment - The 以上です is just like, “okay I’m done talking (so if you have questions ask them, reporters)” and here she says it on her own after a pause when the bit is definitely done.
Thinking about it, I’d honestly maybe omit it in translation to English, at least here. I suppose though in an English translation of a sports interview someone might say “That’s all.” to signal they were done talking in the same way and it would be included…
I guess what I’m trying to say though is it’s more like
“X! … (That’s All).” here than “X, That’s all!” if that makes sense. The ellipses in yours might make it look to someone reading the English only a bit like the latter, I think. Though I’m probably just quibbling between the inevitable tone difference between a cold transcript and a very giggly interview!

I don’t think the subject switches in here like you have it. You might have gotten tripped up by 連戦? Thinking of it like a “series of matches?” but I would just say she’s saying Endo is improving with successive matches in these shows (not necessarily like, series as in like a set best of seven series or something).

I don’t think this is right – I think she herself also isn’t going to stay her current level. “I, also, am not このまま.” Like, roughly “but I’m improving too, and so if I can perfect the skills I’m improving now I can definitely defend the belt.”

I would say the 威嚇 is part is more like – part of the motivation behind (those moves) is to intimidate Yuka (and presumably vice versa). Like roughly, “yeah, there’s partly I think an intimidation element behind it too, though I’m still playing it close to the vest, and I’m sure Yuka’s not playing every card of hers yet either.”

I would say it’s more like – she doesn’t want to close out the summer in a way where looking back on it she’ll feel “that summer… :pensive:”
The 『あの夏は…』みたいな風 isn’t what’s being closed out, I mean, more like how the summer is being closed out. With the 『あの夏は…』leaving implied negative/regretful feelings that in English would probably be more naturally stated directly or phrased a bit differently.

side note since the translation seems fine (and you saved me the trouble of describing what was happening from the video :grin: ), but 語源 is a good one to know for googling “X 語源” to find the etymology of words! I feel like the majority of my Japanese google searches are “X とは” or “Y 語源” or “Z 試合結果”…

This is probably fine, and I don’t have a way of phrasing it better, but just in case, the literal meaning I would say would be like, “Since the start of summer, Suzume has been one person I’ve wanted to work hard together with”

My other comment is I would say this part is more like –

She worried about the possibility of this situation:
[senpais not here → so then audience disappointed in the main event]
and so she hopes that it isn’t that situation, and that she successfully ensured the audience goes home happy.

The "My senpais weren’t here, " and “But it didn’t turn out like that” parts I think have more of a conditional structure in the original.

Yeah, I think pretty much that. In the video it sounds like he was saying he thought it was the first time he saw her cry after a match, and her response was like, “really? I feel like I cry a lot!” so I think in the video and the transcript it’s walked back a bit more to basically like “it seems like maybe different than usual though anyway?”

Minor detail, but I would say she wants to 危険な存在になる in order to not lose to her senpais, starting with Miu. One of those cases where I don’t think the period is as hard a stop as it might appear in the transcript.

1 Like

I’m about 2/3rds of the way through translating TJPW’s September 24 show, but I thought maybe it would be a good idea to split the contract signing into its own post, haha.

The transcript for this is up on the DDT website (shupro didn’t have anything for it), which should make things a little easier!

Namba asks Yuka to start:

Sakazaki: “I’ve had many singles matches with Shoko Nakajima since TJPW started. This is a turning point for me and for TJPW, or I guess I should say it feels like this title match came together at an important time.

Then Yuka says I think the longest sentence I’ve ever seen in Japanese :sweat_smile:. I struggled a fair amount with this due to its length: “そして中島翔子とタイトルマッチ、シングルマッチをやっていく中で、自分たちでどんどんハードルをあげていって、越えられるかな、越えられないかな、みんなの期待に応えられるかなって不安になりながら、でも自分たちの力を信じて、何回も何回も乗り越えて、今このタイミングでまたタイトルマッチが組まれたっていうことは、さらに東京女子が上にいくために組まれたタイトルマッチだって、運命だって思ってるから、今持っている以上のものって、当たり障りないことになるけど…でも、後悔ないように全力で中島翔子にぶつかっていきたいと思います.”

"In the title matches and singles matches I’ve been having with Shoko Nakajima, the two of us have been gradually raising the bar more and more, and I’m anxious about whether we’re going to clear it or not, and whether we can live up to everyone’s expectations, but I believe in our power, and we’ve cleared that bar time and time again. Having this title match again now, it’s once again a title match set to bring TJPW to the next level, and I think it’s fate. So having it again would be bland, but… I want to hit Shoko Nakajima with everything I have so that I don’t have any regrets.”

For Shoko’s answer, the only part that I wasn’t really sure about was her second sentence here: “今の東京女子プロレスでこの短いスパンでベルトに挑戦するということはそう簡単にできるものじゃないと思うし、そこにたどり着くまでに心の強さとか、努力とか、色んなものを自分に……そうですね.” The この短いスパン part in particular was a little unclear to me.

Nakajima: “As a result of the summer tournament, I will once again have a title match with Yuka Sakazaki. I don’t think it’s very easy to challenge for the belt in this short span of time in current TJPW, so to get there, I’ve needed strength of mind, hard work, and many other things. In any case, I think I’ve had to be very strong to get to this point. In the tournament, I had a setback. But Yuka Sakazaki alone won amidst all of the other voices, and stood in front of me once again. I beat her once in June, but seeing her ahead of me again gave me courage. She’s someone who really inspires me, and she makes me feel like even if I win, I have to win again, and that I want to keep winning over and over again. That’s the kind of opponent she is. I think if I want to stand at the top, I always have to believe that new things are the best. I think the fans are always wanting to see something new. In order to create that new landscape, I have to fine tune myself even more, and if I lose to myself, I will lose to the opponent in front of me. This summer, I reconfirmed my own weaknesses. I will not lose to myself, and I will not lose to Yuka Sakazaki. I will defend this belt, and very soon it will be TJPW’s 10th year. I will absolutely hold onto my belt, and keep it until we’ve reached that critical juncture. I want to fight in the main event at Ryogoku Kokugikan for the second time, just as I did when I put on this belt. For this reason, I want to keep winning. Everyone, please watch me. Thank you for your support.”

Namba: “You had a title match at CyberFight Fest in June this year. Is there any difference in your frame of mind compared to then?”

Sakazaki: “CyberFight Fest was more like a festival, having a title match in that kind of lively atmosphere."

Then Yuka said, “自分のペースで雰囲気を持っていけない部分、自分が関与できない部分とかもある中でのタイトルマッチと今回、東京女子だけのフィールドでの闘いっていうのはまったく別物の闘いになると思いますので、その違いっていうのを見ているお客さんが感じてくれたらいいなと思いますので、目を離さないで見てもらえたらいいなと思います.” Another long sentence! The first half of this one was hard, but I think I figured out the point she was making?

"It was a title match where we couldn’t control the atmosphere and we couldn’t participate just as ourselves. But this time, we’re fighting just in a TJPW ring. I think it’s a completely different fight, and I hope the audience watching the match will feel that difference, so keep your eyes on us.”

In Shoko’s answer, I was confused by her second line here: “やっぱり総当たり戦みたいなものなので、そこで私は勝ち残れなかった.” In particular, the 総当たり戦 part, because that phrase apparently means round-robin tournament, but the Tokyo Princess Cup is a single elimination tournament, not round robin, so it wasn’t really at all similar in operation. So I think she was comparing it to feeling like a G1 or a Five Star Grand Prix, or something like that (in terms of tension and prestige)?

Nakajima: “One of the differences is the tournament we had this summer. I think that’s the biggest. It felt like a round-robin tournament in the end, and I couldn’t advance. But the fact that Yuka-chi was able to keep winning after all… I think of Yuka Sakazaki as an opponent who is passing me and getting passed by me day by day. That was the true lesson for me this summer. I was also energized by watching her go ahead of me, so this time I want her to watch me step out in front.”

Namba: The two of you often talk about the ‘growth of the young wrestlers’. Miu Watanabe and Yuki Arai also have title matches. Do you have a message to give to your juniors?

Yuka’s answer to this was kind of confusing: “うーん…まぁその、荒井優希に関しては、タイトル戦で負けてるので言うことはないですけど、今一瞬一瞬、その瞬間その瞬間に一番誰が輝くかって思いながら試合をしてると思うので。私はお姉ちゃんの方ですけど、時間は平等なので。みんなその瞬間、自分を掴むために生きてるので。みんなガムシャラに今を生きたらいいと思うよ。以上です.”

Sakazki: "Well, I lost our title match, so I don’t have anything to say concerning Yuki Arai, but right now, each moment, every single moment, I’m wrestling my matches and thinking about who will shine the most. I’m the older sister, but time favors no one. Everyone, in each moment, is living for the sake of seizing themselves. I think everyone should make the most of the present moment. That’s all.”

The first half of Shoko’s response was tricky, though I think I did okay with the second half? She started off by saying, “入りたての頃とかは先輩・後輩ってハッキリしてたと思うんですけど、一緒に道場や試合で時間を過ごしていく中で、その先輩・後輩だったものが、ちょっとずつそうじゃなくなってるっていうのは今年強く感じました。なので自分が勝ち続けるためにも、もっともっと荒井ちゃんも未詩も、赤井さんもそうだけど、みんなのことをちゃんと見て、自分が今どのくらいの力があるのかをつねに確認していかないといけないし.”

Nakajima: “When I first joined, I think the junior-senior distinction was very clear, but as we’ve spent time together in the dojo and in matches, it has gradually become less and less distinct, and I’ve felt that very strongly this year. This is more and more true about Arai-chan and Miu, and Akai-san, too, but in order for me to keep winning, it means that I need to watch everyone closely and always have to confirm how much power I have right now They are the kind of juniors who make me think that I must always, always work hard. But I feel a little sad that you can’t apply words like ‘young wrestler’ and ‘the future’ to myself. Yuka-chi also said it, but we want to do our very best now. So, I want you to look at everyone, all of us all together.”

I was a little unsure about that last sentence, too: “なので、全部ひっくるめてみなさんには見て欲しいなって思ってます.” :sweat_smile:

And that was everything said during the contract signing!